MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Morel Mushrooms
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
I really like the pretty red ones with polka-dot thingies on 'em. ummmm

Come September those guys come up in my yard like gang busters.

How many you want? I don't even like to touch them, my liver is just fine and I would like to keep it that way.
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come September I can get you a lot of them.

They grow in my yard. I don't even like to touch them.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
I really like the pretty red ones with polka-dot thingies on 'em. ummmm

I hope you carefully check underneath them to make sure you aren't disturbing any tiny gnomes!
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off-topic thread about determining what you found in AZ has been split off and moved Arrow here.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Actually... That post included discussion about mushrooms... But yet you still transfered it to a new topic. Why exactly???
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually... That post included discussion about mushrooms... But yet you still transfered it to a new topic. Why exactly???

That reminds me... which wine goes best with Morels? I'm thinking maybe a red?
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the best wine with mushrooms would be the Chataeu St. Michelle Riesling. But wine is only for grown up's sui...
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sui generis wrote:
Quote:

That reminds me... which wine goes best with Morels? I'm thinking maybe a red?

Try this:

Get a bottle of decently fruity White Zin. Mondavi makes a good one. Take ~3Tbsp butter, 1-2 Tbsp pureed garlic Jarred works ok. Lightly sautee the garlic in the butter then add a cup or so of the wine and add some heat until it reduces down. Be generous with cracked pepper. Toss in the morels.

When you start, start some pasta ( I like tortelini but any decent pasta will do).

The pasta outght to be getting done about the time the sauce is reduced.

Add 1/2 cup or so garlic cream sauce (jarred can work here if you're not into doing it from scratch with ricotta, parmesan, butter and cream).

When it's mixed and hot add a little more wine and toss in half a dozen cooked shrimps for 1-3 people and let them get warm but not more. Pour the sauce and shrimp over the drained pasta. Drink the rest of the wine

It's simple, hard to mess up and anything that has morels, butter, garlic and wine always tastes so good.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to try that. I really love garlic sauce recipes. I'll certainly add this one to the box.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.. "Get Sauced - Garlic Style"? hehe

With morel mushrooms, to keep it on topic Very Happy
tomslusher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of wild mushrooms, my father-in-law loves fresh sulfer shells (they gotta be orange). they are OK, but not Morels. And me neighbor goes to to the northeast every year and a few years back he brought back some Shaggy Mane mushrooms and sprinkled them in his yard. Well, they grew in my yard, all over in the fall. At first i was a bit leary but after researching them, they are just as good as Morels and they last for over a month in the fall. And I don't even have to search for them.

another mushroom is the puffball. If you get them small they are great and really meaty. My grandma (and myself) like to find them about softball size and slice them, lightly flour then deepfry. Those are some great mushrooms.

tomslusher
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomslusher wrote:
Speaking of wild mushrooms, my father-in-law loves fresh sulfer shells (they gotta be orange).

Oddly enough, though I haven't tried a Morel, I have tried a sulfur shell. That was back when I worked up at a camp with some experienced outdoors folk that managed to find one one day and cooked it. That was pretty good, but I got a fair warning that there was another kind that looked similar that could be the bad kind of mushroom.
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calendar marked for the night caching event at tomslusher's place.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never actually hunted for morels, but after doing some research on the web, I now realize I saw a bunch of them near a cache I was looking for late in May. I don't remember what cache it was, and I have over 60 logs for the second half of May, so it'd be more work than it's worth to find out where I saw the morels. Anyone who would rather go pick their own rather than go buy some is more than welcome to look up my cache logs for May--I'm fairly certain it is one of the 11 I looked for on the 30th, but it could also be one of the 21 I looked for on the 22nd. Personally, I've found cat-tails and wild asparagus to be mighty tasty, and those are a lot easier to find.
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
Anyone who would rather go pick their own rather than go buy some is more than welcome to look up my cache logs for May--I'm fairly certain it is one of the 11 I looked for on the 30th, but it could also be one of the 21 I looked for on the 22nd. Personally, I've found cat-tails and wild asparagus to be mighty tasty, and those are a lot easier to find.

If there's anything that goes perfectly with the stuff I gave sui generis the recipe for its asparagus. If you can bend your brain a little to narrow the search, I will teach you how to not poison yourself picking mushrooms. You might die from it from the garlic and butter and the cream sauce for the shrimp pasta clogging your arteries but then you'll die with a smile.

I haven't done any of theose caches and so will go visit them and pick the most likely prospects, but help never hurts when it comes to whether you saw them walking in or at the cache or on the way to another cache.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: