MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about the website answered!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Questions about the website answered! Reply with quote

At the recent General Meeting there were some questions about the website and we will attempt to make some clarifications:

What is the difference between an MnGCA member and a Cache Games Only member?

A MnGCA member has nomination and voting power in the association. They agree to the Bylaws and they have registered for an account with us. MnGCA members also have full access to update their own milestones, access the MnGCA Members Only section on their “Cacher Page”, and play the Lakers game.

A Cache Games Only member is someone who is not interested in being a member of the MnGCA but instead would like to take advantage of some of items we offer to registered users (i.e. milestone listings and the Lakers game)

How do I know what type of registered user I am?

Login to your Cacher Page at http://www.mngca.org/cacher.php and it will appear something like this:

Code:

Marsha and Silent Bob's Profile                 You are logged in. | Log out?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Membership Status:                              MnGCA Member (or Cache Games Only)

Last Login:                                     May 18, 2005

The Membership Status line will tell you your current registration with the association. You can easily change your status by clicking on “Update your registration/profile information”.

I can’t access my Cacher Page, it tells me I am an inactive or invalid user, what do I do?

Please notify us via webmaster@mngca.org and we will work with you to get your account functioning again.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you may or may not have noticed, we have made some important changes to the MnGCA website that you should know about:
  • Due to requirements created in the Bylaws we have updated the registration information form that most of you have filled out when signing up for the website. The form now includes three check boxes at the bottom that ask for some important information that helps us to determine if you are an eligible MnGCA Voting Member and whether you would like to be contacted with important Association news. The first checkbox is to verify that you are 18 years of age or older, the second is to verify that you agree to the terms listed in the MnGCA Bylaws, and the third is to let us know if you would like to be contacted with important Association news (i.e. nominations, voting, or dissolution). While you are not required to agree to the E-mail Usage Policy you must be 18+ and agree to the Bylaws in order to vote in elections.

• For your convenience, we have decided to implement cookies to keep you logged into the site so that you do not have to repeatedly enter your username and password to update your milestones, Laker moves, and registration information.
If you have any questions pertaining to the new website updates please contact the Board through the form located here or please post below.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SB for the update and clarification. Your doing one heck of a job Webmaster. Razz
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a problem with the presentation of the Email Use Policy question.

I don't think you should be asking members whether they agree with the policy, but rather will they accept e-mails from the organiztion that are sent in accordance with the policy.

The way you have the item phrased right now, one could agree with the policy, but still not want to get email.

Or, as is my case, I could disagree with the policy, but would still like to receive any and all communications from the organization.

Despite my disagreement with the policy, I have checked the box, because that is what I think I need to do in order to get the emails.

My disagreement with the policy is that it is too restrictive in limiting correspondence to board of directors nominations and dissolution of the organization. There are plenty of other issues that could be brought to members' attention through e-mail. I'm certain that there are many members who do not visit the web site regularly.

I am certainly not encouraging any kind of spamming, but I have come to believe that in some cases an organization ought to be able to require its members to receive its mailings. MnGCA does not ask its members to pay dues. Is it really to much to ask that a requirement of membership is to accept communications from the organization. There are plenty of MnGCA members who rarely make it to the web site, yet I would think their participation in the organization is essential to its continued growth.

This is probably not the proper forum for a policy debate, so I'll stop here, but I will note that there is an extraneous period after the first occurance of the word "Directors" in the Email Usage Policy statement.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RubberToes wrote:
I don't think you should be asking members whether they agree with the policy, but rather will they accept e-mails from the organiztion that are sent in accordance with the policy.

I have made this modification. Thanks for the input. It now reads:

Quote:
Do you agree to receive e-mails sent in accordance with the MnGCA E-mail Usage Policy?

Quote:
My disagreement with the policy is that it is too restrictive in limiting correspondence to board of directors nominations and dissolution of the organization. There are plenty of other issues that could be brought to members' attention through e-mail. I'm certain that there are many members who do not visit the web site regularly.

If at any time this Board (or any other) decides to add additional notifications to the E-mail Policy there is a clause that permits that.

Quote:
Is it really to much to ask that a requirement of membership is to accept communications from the organization. There are plenty of MnGCA members who rarely make it to the web site, yet I would think their participation in the organization is essential to its continued growth.

There are plenty of websites out there that have free registration to become a "member". I feel it is not acceptable to receive any e-mails from those places. I made sure to extrapolate those feelings to this organization as well.

Quote:
I will note that there is an extraneous period after the first occurance of the word "Directors" in the Email Usage Policy statement.

Thanks. For some reason my computers like to paste apostrophes as periods.
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have made this modification. Thanks for the input. It now reads:

Do you agree to receive e-mails sent in accordance with the MnGCA E-mail Usage Policy?

Looks good. Thanks. That's pretty fast service, SB.

Quote:
There are plenty of websites out there that have free registration to become a "member". I feel it is not acceptable to receive any e-mails from those places. I made sure to extrapolate those feelings to this organization as well.

I understand your point. There is however, quite a difference between being a "member" of the "Bald Men Are Cool" website and being a member of a local non-profit organization that needs real people to participate in its activities and goals apart from the website.

Anyway, there's no further need to debate that. The change you already made makes more more than happy.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are plenty of other issues that could be brought to members' attention through e-mail. I'm certain that there are many members who do not visit the web site regularly.

Quote:
MnGCA does not ask its members to pay dues. Is it really to much to ask that a requirement of membership is to accept communications from the organization. There are plenty of MnGCA members who rarely make it to the web site, yet I would think their participation in the organization is essential to its continued growth.

It is a good point, however, I guess the argument can be made that it is also not too much trouble to ask that members visit the website occassionally if they wish to remain informed. In my experience, the board has been pretty good about making the organizational minutes and important announcements easy to find by making them "stickies" so they stay at the top of the list of topics. I thought about the fact that some people may not have easy access to a computer, however, I came to the conclusion that if they can get to a computer to check E-mail, they can also probably check the website. I could be wrong though.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should say that my argument for no-opt-in emails was purely argumentative and not something I'd be likely to support in the end.

My main concern was that I thought the email policy was too limited in what kinds of emails could ever be sent. SB pointed out that the policy leaves the door open for the board to amend the list of mailings, and upon rereading that, I am satisfied with the way things stand.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is there no milestone for travel bugs released?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:

I'll add one and post a note here when it's done.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Thank you sir.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
King Boreas wrote:

You should now be able to add "travelbug released" milestones for 50, 100, 200, etc. KB, please let me know if you have any trouble.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
released 50 travelbugs on August 09, 2003

how weird ! It was two years ago today.

Thanks.
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats cool KB- Ive had several other such occurances where the "Hey, that was today, XX years ago Today" have come up. It Always makes a good feeling, and reminds you of That day, X years ago.. . . . IM pretty good at "flashback memory" recalling it in a flash of memories........
People almost hate me for remebering the things I have, on those kind of days......

Again, good job - and No, I am not being sarcastic, mean or otherwise - just in case.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Website All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: