MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frequency of cache visits

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Frequency of cache visits Reply with quote

Today I put together some stats on caches that were placed between 8/2001-10/2001 and were active for over a year. Most of the stats cover a 12 month period, with the exceptions noted.

Orphans of Ramsey County (8/12/2001):

August (5), September(5), October(1), November(2), December(2),

January(4), February(4), March(2), April(5), May(3), June(7), July(1), August(2)

Rice Creek Regional Trail (8/29/2001):

August (0), September(5), October(4), November(2), December(0),

January(4), February(1), March(2), April(3), May(6), June(4), July(1), August(4)

Ham Lake County Park (9/4/2001):

September(1), October(3), November(3), December(0), January(4),

February(4), March(3), April(1), May(2), June(0), July(2), August(2)

Sullivan Lake (9/5/2001):

September(eight), October(1), November(1), December(1), January(3),

February(1), March(1), April(1), May(2), June(2), July(4), August(2)

Manomin County Park (9/6/2001):

September(4), October(2), November(3), December(0), January(5),

February(1), March(1), April(1), May(0), June(0), July(3), August(2), September (1)

Traverse Des Sioux (9/14/2001):

September(2), October(1), November(0), December(1), January(2),

February(2), March(0), April(0), May(3), June(1), July(2), August(1)

King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Springbrook Nature Center (9/20/2001):

September(4), October(5), November(2), December(1), January(1),

February(0), March(5), April(4), May(3), June(1), July(2), August(2)

Camp Coldwater (9/26/2001): 18 months

September(0), October(0), November(0), December(4), January(5),

February(1), March(1), April(1), May(2), June(0), July(1), August(3),

September(0), October(1), November(1), December(2), January(1),

February(1), March(0)

Gilfillan Park (10/24/2001):

October(1), November(1), December(1), January(4), February(1),

March(3), April(5), May(2), June(1), July(1), August(3), September(0),

October(1)

Lake Vadnais (10/25/2001):

October(0), November(4), December(2), January(3), February(1), March(2),

April(6), May(2), June(2), July(0), August(3), September(0), October(3)

Grass Lake (10/26/2001): 10 months

October(0), November(4), December(1), January(5), February(1),

March(1), April(eight), May(3), June(3), July(2), August(1)

King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perrine and 15 Tango, Slytherin and Trunchbull, and a couple other pairs were counted as 2 visits. They went together, on the same day, but it was one visit.

Most of these verified my suspicion that the first two months are 'heavy', then traffic dies down. During this period of time, there were less caches available than today. Most certainly, there were also less active 'cachers' than today.

I didn't figure any averages per month, or week, but I suspect these numbers are lower than Park officials were expecting. With most caches being placed using existing trails, or very near existing trails, I still object to the one year limit for a cache.

Comments ?
kleiner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KB, for adding all those visits up. I was going to do the same thing for some of my 1 year and better caches. Being a little farther out from the metro I think mine are even less visited then what you have shown. The most popular one, which is very accessible, was a concern when someone commented that the volunteer trail leading to the cache was well beaten down. I have watched this one very closely over the winter and found that it was much less visited this winter than last. To me, it seems that even as this game gets more exposure, the number of visits to caches has evened off and actually dropped. The bottom line is: Most cachers only visit a cache one time. JK
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB, thanks for pulling the stats. Yeah, there is no real surprise there. New caches get hit the most and then it trickles off. There seems to be another blip in January when all those people, like me, who get a GPSr for Christmas join the fray.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oldest cache is "Cleary Lake Regional Park", GC3D88, placed on 2/25/02. I mailed in my official Three Rivers Parks registration last Wednesday, so last Friday, I figured I should check on the bugger. It's had 28 logged visits in the past 13 months, and that isn't counting people who found it but didn't log it online (I didn't think to count the number of logs in the logbook). There are also quite a few people who might have searched, but didn't find, and didn't post a "didn't find" log. Anyhow, I walked along the paved trail to the closest point to my cache, and didn't see any signs of any volunteer trails, and I figure this would be the best time of year to see volunteer trails, before the flora recovers from winter. I should also note that there used to be a virtual cache nearby (now archived), placed on 5/24/02 and last logged on 12/15/02 with 8 visits, and I didn't see anything that was disturbed between the two caches.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops--I shared my stats, but hit submit before I voiced my opinion--I think renewing a cache registration annually is a good idea, but as far as moving the cache to a different area of the park or removing it altogether, I think it should be on a case by case basis--I think around 25 visits annually is typical for caches like mine in one of the "Outer Rim Colonies", and I haven't seen too many volunteer trails on some of the closer caches that get visited more often. Everyone's GPS is different, and they are going to have a different sattelite constellation when they seek a cache, and they are going to approach it from different angles. But again, let me stress they should be analyzed on a case by case basis by the cache owner and the park administrator.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: