MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Golf balls
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Golf balls Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago I was out looking for morels in the park where I placed Old Rookery cache. As I was walking along I found a golf ball so I picked it up. A few feet further and there was another, so rather than litter by putting mine with it I picked up the second and started juggling them as I looked for mushrooms. Another few feet and another golf ball. I picked that up too but, since I can't juggle three of anything I put them all in a jacket pocket. By the time I made it to the cache I had two pockets full, and there was another in the cache.

It came to me about that time that if I dislike golf balls in caches placing a cache near a golf course was less than brilliant.

There has to be some sort of fun game we can put together to find a way to collect up golf balls out of caches and turn them over to the golf ball fairies for repatriation.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golf balls are my nephews *favorite* thing to find. He's 4 years old. Each to his own.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...that just baffling to me...how does a golf ball get that DEEP into the woods?...
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it drives.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
...that just baffling to me...how does a golf ball get that DEEP into the woods?...

I have been to a driving range a few times. I *know* how the ones *I* hit get there. Those things can curve really, really well, especially when you hit 'em a good lick.
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
Golf balls are my nephews *favorite* thing to find. He's 4 years old. Each to his own.

Note to self:

Find out which of rickrich's caches is the closest one with enough room for a "gift".
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have been to a driving range a few times. I *know* how the ones *I* hit get there. Those things can curve really, really well, especially when you hit 'em a good lick.

I've done it as well....I'm just wondering how you normally find a pile of them in the same spot 2...
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:

I've done it as well....I'm just wondering how you normally find a pile of them in the same spot 2...

Ah!

It was walking through the woods alongside a fairway on the way out to the cache. Had I looked in more than one place I'd likely have had a number of piles of them when I got done. I went in and came out the same way. If you need some to send off into the woods yourself I can go back and I am sure there will be lots more, these were all pretty clean and didn't look like they'd spent the winter out there.

I don't think these golfers hit the ball much straighter than I do. I suppose if you're a golfer being seen wandering around in the woods looking for your ball(s) is probably like one of us not being able to find our way back to the car, it doesn't look good and you don't want to be caught in that situation.
Rouster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I logged this yesterday without realizing the significance of the cache title.

"Rouster found Between Golfing and Fishing (Traditional Cache)

Nice trail system. Now, if I hurry, I can still make my tee time! "

Tee time was 3:00 in Lester Prairie. When we got to the 15th hole, everybody broke out their 'disposable balls'. In total, I think we put 10 balls in the drink. I was the only one to get it on the green, but it took me three tries.

In short, used golf balls are not a bad thing.
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.

This makes it easy. I will create a Rouster Donations cache and place it central to the cities. I found the ice cream bucket I emptied my jacket pockets into. 10 balls. five look like they have only been hit the one time. One is an odd yellow color. One has red stripes. Rouster can come collec...t them when he's allowed into the cities and haul them all off to the 15th hole in Eden Prairie. That's far enough from Forest Lake to suit me.

It will be a golf balls only cache. Very Happy
JT
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miles58 wrote:
OK.

To each their own! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rouster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miles58 wrote:
OK.

Rouster can come collect them when he's allowed into the cities and haul them all off to the 15th hole in Eden Prairie. That's far enough from Forest Lake to suit me.

That's Lester Prairie to you, bud Laughing . Even further than Eden Prairie.

We commented that if enough people hit their balls where we did, we could take the white brick road across the swamp. We were having a great time!

Bring on the cache!
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rouster wrote:

Bring on the cache!

We now have a name! "Rouster's White Brick Road"

I will get busy and find a location so I can submit it yet this week.
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rouster's White Brick Road is waiting for approval. Very Happy
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cache got approved on Saturday And Vermadon made a drop (Thank you Vermadon). I started the cache with a dozen-fifteen. Over the weekend I came into posession of a bucket and a half more. Bman92 kept the orange ones. I have to go to Arden Hills to work tomorrow, if I remember in the morning I will fill the cache and post a note to the log that it needs pickup.

Your road may get built quicker than you thought.

OBTW You have an empty 5 gallon bucket to swap out? Or is dumping golf balls out of a five quart bucket into a bag or something in public the sort of thing you're comfortable explaining. If we stay with the small bucket you have to come get them four times as often and sure as heck sooner or later the cops will drive by and...never mind it's golf balls the cops will just think they didn't have a bed for you in the psych ward, especially if you bring a shopping cart.[/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Cache Games All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: