MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is anyone using this for benchmark hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Is anyone using this for benchmark hunting Reply with quote

I just started using this, you can use clayjars watcher program after turning the .dat file to a gpx file. You can download counties at a time.

for the bmgpx program

http://parkrrrr.com/

for the county downloads

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/datasheet.prl
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - thanks for the info... I've wanted to be able to load BMs into the GPS (and Palm) in a way easier than a few at a time... I'll have to explore this a little more..

I see the St. Louis County data is almost 9mb...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

St. Louis Cty is close to 3000 benchmarks. You have a way to go to find them all Laughing

Matt, in the folder that you unzip the bmgpx.exe file make a .bat file and put this in the .bat file

@echo off
bmgpx %1 %1.gpx

Name it DATtoGPX.bat

Then all you have to do is drag and drop the .dat file onto the .exe file and it will make a .gpx file with the same name as the .dat file.
you do know how to make a bat file using wordpad right?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBcrashen wrote:
St. Louis Cty is close to 3000 benchmarks. You have a way to go to find them all Laughing

What makes you think I haven't found them all yet? Laughing

IBcrashen wrote:
you do know how to make a bat file using wordpad right?

I'm trying to figure out if this is an intended jab or not.. Smile

My problem isn't so much using the program as weeding out the BMs so that I can fit just a few in my GPS. I haven't located a GPS yet that will handle 3000+ waypoints (although I'm sure someone will point one out now). My Geko does 500. I think I have about 450 caches loaded in it (125 mile radius from home of those that I haven't found).

EskoClimber should enjoy this more as he hunts BMs when he runs out of caches to look for. I don't have that kind of time (anymore). Although I suppose Grace and I could look for BMs much easier than we could look for caches..... Hmm... This may work until she's of walking age.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used fuzzy's BMGPX stuff before and then fed a CSV created from the GPX into Streets and Trips and narrowed down the total to ones that did not appear to be on private property, next to Interstates, or in the middle of roads.

You could also map them out using http://gpsvisualizer.com to get the same effect for free. It's just a bit harder to zoom and pan w/that.

As IBC suggested, Watcher is useful for narrowing down a radius and BMs based on info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Benchmarking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: