MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lorenz GPS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Lorenz GPS Reply with quote

Has anybody tried the GPS units from Lorenz that cost about $80? A guy at Gander Mountain told me about them and that they would be better than the yellow etrex since they have built in maps.
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean Lowrance.

I have owned three different Garmins, used a Megellan Platinum, and own three Lowrance units currently.

The Lowrance iFinder PRO and above models IMO are the best available on the market. I am still not thrilled with the fixed and non-upgradeable mapping in the iFinder GO models, but having used the basic iFinder GO for caching I can tell you that it's fully the equal of any other GPS for that purpose. m The GO has 16 sat capability and has well more than double the nearest competitor's battery life.

I like the generous screen size on the bigger Lowrance units, the external antenna connection:

(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73348&item=5775633716&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)

makes for much faster locks and helps a lot under marginal conditions.

Tha mapping software Lowrance sells is very good, and can allow you to type in waypoints save the map to a SD chip and then use it in the unit.
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went up there today to check them out. I liked the buttons on the front clearly labeled compared to the side buttons on the yellow etrex. However, they guy was having a hard time trying to demo it and it did not seem to have the capability of showing current coords on the same page as the compass..which is what I was basically looking for, as that is the page I have the youth in my rec programs look at. So I went and just bought a couple of etrexs instead.
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That';s not a normal screen for a Lowrance. You can however put more or less whatever you want on any of the standard screens by selecting customize.

I normally leave the map scren up and have the EPE and ground speed and altimiter down in the corner.That way I know where I am, and how good the signal is at the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: