MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GC.com thread regarding Minnesota State Parks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: GC.com thread regarding Minnesota State Parks Reply with quote

GC.COM Thread
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I posted a suggestion she send it to the dept of Tourism too, The DNR has a vested interest in the policy, Tourism has a vested interest in the money. They will pursue it with their interest in mind.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and I were looking at stuff to do over the Memorial Day Weekend and the first things crossed off the list were any DNR controlled parks.

Marsha was quite disappointed that she would not be able to see Itasca State Park or Gooseberry Falls but she'll get over it. I told her that if she has a problem with my stance that she should take it up with the people that are at the root of the problem.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come up to the Iron Range and cache- the Superior National Forest is very cacher friendly and they have nice campgrounds too, as well as do many cities. We up north have tried to get a nice caching circle from Duluth to Two Harbors and inland on Hwy 2 to Ely and back down 169 towards Virginia to Cloquet/Duluth or over towards Hibbing and Grand Rapids. There are also nice caches and campgrounds around the Aurora, Gilbert, Biwabik area. I hope to have 2 more caches up by then.
milbank
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is MnGCA currently working with the Minnesota State Parks to get anything changed?
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is MnGCA currently working with the Minnesota State Parks to get anything changed?

I'm not involved, but it's my understanding is that the DNR is not interested, or unresponsive. They mighta said something like "Maybe next decade"

I continue to avoid State Parks.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milbank wrote:

See s4xton's comment on this Arrow thread. I believe that he is making some headway. As I understand it, the earthcache movement is something that is helping bring the DNR into the dialog.

(disclaimer - I am not privy to details. This is something that was brought up in an informal discussion at the last breakfast buddies event.)
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that my earthcache should be official by the end of June or this summer- apparently they want everyone involved on the same page and notified - Parks, DNR and cachers
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this email this morning from the DNR. I am quoting only the part that is of interest to MNGCA- the rest is personal. The policy referred to is the MN DNR policy concerning geocaching and letterboxing.

"Policy is going to our Director today for final review & signature. "
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that this only applies to the recent Earthcaches that have been cropping up all over and not physical geocaches and letterboxes. Is that correct?
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need anyones approval for Earthcaches.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
You don't need anyones approval for Earthcaches.

The DNR's current rules banned *all* geocaching including the virtual component. From my understanding of the discussions leading up to this draft policy they were only considering lifting the ban on virtual geocaches.

Obviously, the DNR has not been contacting the MnGCA Board directly to discuss these matters and thus may have made changes to their proposal which could have included discussions directly related to physical geocaches.

We will only know once we hear the final verdict and see the actual policy in writing.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

attn: state park gestapo ...

$$$ in hand, sticker or beer, sticker or beer
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 4 earth caches currently and one in a state park waiting for the policy approval.

You do need permission for earth caches. When you apply for an earth cache you have to go through the geological society first and they ask for a contact. Once they approve it, you get a message saying it has been approved and that they have sent it to geocaching.com. When I was talking to MTMAN about these caches, he told me that these earth caches most likely will take longer to be approved (and he was right) because they are approved by GC.com adminstration, not regular approvers like he is. An earth cache has to be related to a geological place as the geological society is sponsoring these caches, and going through geocaching.

They want to make geological area known to more people- the interesting thing is that you may submit a report to them in scientific wording, but then the cache has to be written and/or explained at the level of an 8th grader. This is a natural for us to get into as my husband has a stong geology background and he taught 8th grade earth science for 25 years-

When I set mine up in the state park, I had to work with the park administrator at the park. I have also been working with another park. They want to know where the cache is located and as far as I know will not approve any cache that is in what they consider a sensitive area. They want to protect unuaul rock, protected flowers, etc-
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagleyes wrote:
I have 4 earth caches currently and one in a state park waiting for the policy approvel.

You do need permission for earth caches.

Quote:
When I set mine up in the state park, I had to work with the park administrator at the park. I have also been working with another park. They want to know where the cache is located and as far as I know will not approve any cache that is in what they consider a sensitive area. They want to protect unuaul rock, protected flowers, etc-

Thanks for the clarification eagleyes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: