MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caching in Time of War

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Caching in Time of War Reply with quote

I had a couple of encounters with the National Guard while out 'caching this weekend. On Friday while checking out KB's new Rain cache, I was observed from across the river by a guardsman guarding the Minneapolis water intake. Then on Sunday, I was trying to get to tricolor's KoD Riverdance cache from the east side of the Mississippi, but all of the roads were barricaded by the NG guarding the Koch refinery.

Did anyone else have similar experiences?
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say that I've encountered the National Guard but I am a lot more aware of my actions now that there's a hightened sense of security lately. I was benchmark hunting yesterday and one of them was on a railroad bridge over highway 7 in St Louis Park. I was on my bike so I was less conspicous. I couldn't find it on street level so I figured it was up top of the bridge. Aware of what's going on lately, I opted not to try and find it but continue on my way. It's unfortunate that I have to think that way, but it's also the responsible thing to do.
pogopod
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Security Reply with quote

Stay away from railroads. The railroad police take homeland security very seriously. Recent incidents with railfans include home visits by the FBI. A railfan was taking photos of trans from public property. His license number was called in by railroad police to the FBI, and before he got home his wife was explaining her husbands hobby to the feds. After a search of his home, garage and car, they left adntold himnot to photograph trains. A little scary. (As reported in the April issue of Trains Magazine)
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At any time, there is no trespassing in railroad or interstate highway right-of-ways--they are just enforcing it more since 9/11. It also makes benchmark hunting more challenging, as most of those buggers seem to be along railroads and along the interstate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: