MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin GPSMAP 76 question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPSr
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Garmin GPSMAP 76 question Reply with quote

I recently bought a GPSMAP76 and am wondering if any other owners have this problem with it. As I'm heading toward a cache (usually under tree cover) the pointer doesn't react very quickly when I make a turn. I also notice if I'm on a trail and a muggle is headed toward me, I keep
walking. Then I turn around and come back and the pointer and distance don't seem to adjust. It's like the gpsr isn't picking up the sat's and therefore can't calculate my new direction or distance to the cache.
I've owned two Magellan's, a GPSIII, two etrex's, an emap, and now a map76, and never experienced this before. One of the Magellan's, GPSIII and this map76 all have the quad helix antenna while the rest had patch antennas. I definitely get more signal under tree cover with the quad but response time on this unit seems slow. I also notice that I have to use more of my geo skills because the gpsr is worthless when I get to within 100 feet of ground zero. I suppose I could reinstall the firmware from Garmin's site to rule out that. Any other ideas? Confused
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn off averaging. Turn it on when marking a point, tho.

[assuming that is the problem. My geko 201 does not have averaging]
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the 76 has a battery saver mode--I know my Vista does, and on battery saver, the receiver isn't constantly on, but it'll turn on, grab a signal, show you where it thinks you are, then turn off. If you are moving, it makes it's best guess where you should be based on the speed and direction you were moving when it last got a signal.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the unit facing straight up as the antenna is on top and doesn't work well otherwise.
ScubaAl
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using a Garmin GPS76CS since Jan. To date I have been very happy with the unit.
There are times that with heavy tree canopy I have a problem with the signal. And so the pointer reacts slowly. I end up walking the direction I think I should be going and watch the distance reading. If the number is getting smaller I continue in that direction till the pointer catchs up.
I have just assumed the problem is because of the cover above. I don't recall the same issue earlier in the year, before the trees filled out.
I have never tried another GPSr along with the 76 to see if there is infact a difference.
Cache on, Al
GPSr
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Turn off averaging. Turn it on when marking a point, tho.

On the MAP76 you have to force the average function. Default is off.

Quote:
Keep the unit facing straight up as the antenna is on top and doesn't work well otherwise.

That is the most difficult to relearn after using patch antennas.

And the winning answer is:

Quote:
I don't know if the 76 has a battery saver mode--I know my Vista does, and on battery saver, the receiver isn't constantly on, but it'll turn on, grab a signal, show you where it thinks you are, then turn off. If you are moving, it makes it's best guess where you should be based on the speed and direction you were moving when it last got a signal.

Thanks for the diagnosis everybody Very Happy
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSr wrote:
And the winning answer is:

Quote:

Ask EskoClimber how battery saver worked for him. He cached for a while when he first started with it on. He had a very difficult time with it. Made for one frustrated individual.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GPSr
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some time this weekend to try out the gpsr with the battery saver turned OFF! Now I can get to within 8 feet or less of posted coord's turn around and walk away and then back toward it and it responds great. (even under tree cover) I bet if I was lucky enough for a FTF I could do the dance and my altitude would even respond quickly! Thanks again! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only knew because that happened to me when I first bought my Vista, as well as both times I've sent it back in for repairs--the defaults seem to be Battery Saver and Lock On Road--I always remember to turn off the Lock On Road, but it usually takes a couple of caches with symptoms like the ones described in the OP before I remember to switch it from Battery Saver to Normal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: