MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MNGCA Geocoin?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bring things back on topic - - if you're interested in helping out with the MnGCA Geocoin:

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
If you are interested in helping to create the Minnesota Geocoin please reply here Arrow http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1443
NurseDave
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you worried about the money, it's more common among these geocoin orders for folks to have to pay before any dies are made or orders placed so there is not out of pocket money from anyone. And if you were to post this to the gc.com forums you'll have 200 ordered by the end of the week.

I've put together 2 geocoin and given input on a few others. I'd suggest you decide what type of coin you want and then get feed-back from folks that already have coins like that as to their experience with different companies.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NurseDave wrote:
For those of you worried about the money, it's more common among these geocoin orders for folks to have to pay before any dies are made or orders placed so there is not out of pocket money from anyone. And if you were to post this to the gc.com forums you'll have 200 ordered by the end of the week.

I've put together 2 geocoin and given input on a few others. I'd suggest you decide what type of coin you want and then get feed-back from folks that already have coins like that as to their experience with different companies.

Not a bad idea at all from an operational standpoint for sure...

As far as the designing goes though, I think it's going to be very unique.

Other opinions are a good idea before any solid decisions are made.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth I e-mailed the guy who is heading up the Colorado coin I first referenced at the start of this thread... below is his response to me. Also for what it is worth I think if we do a coin it should be trackable through GC.com, otherwise you're going to have a really hard time finding out just where in the world your coin is going. As for "offending" people I look at it this way... I'm sure there are a lot of Mac owners who are offended when a piece of software comes out that is designed for the PC platform only. You either get over it or help create a demand for the Mac platform. If the first coin series is GC.com trackable and there are a ton of people who want a Navicache.com compatible coin, then the second batch could probably be minted in that fashion. Personally I don't think that would happen, but that is just my opinion. I think if you mint it to where it is GC.com trackable it will have a stronger marketability both in Minnesota and for collectors in other states. Here now is his response to me:

Always glad to help to get more well designed Geocoins out there!

I'll answer your questions directly and I can also post on the board the major contact
points to if want me to.

First off the main contact at Groundspeak Inc. for the GeoCoin policy was Bryan
(bryan@groundspeak.com)
We are paying 1.50 per coin and the intention was to provide tracking with the best
developed tool out there so far.
Though there is no guarantee that future "mintings" have to be GC.com trackable.

If you go with the same manufacturer Aaron Charles Inc. (www.coinsandpins.com) the side 2
die fee should be free since Groundspeak paid for the GC.com logo side.

Then it's onto the state logo. It is $130 for 3d sculptured die fees for the Colorado
Geocoin.Our 1.5" (38 mm) coin in bronze satin finish with colors, epoxy coding and
engraving with the
minimum 250 coins runs $3.15 each including manufacturing, shipping from manufacturer.
There are price breaks for different quantities and any extra money is going back into
Colorado geocaching orginazation to help future mintings here.

As far as managing expenses, because I am passionate about the CO Geocoins (Colorado
native, Pueblo, avid Travel Bug releaser and mover, coin collector and just plain like
shiny things) I took on alot of the up front costs, processing and distribution but am
enjoying
the whole thing so far and made a commitment to not make a personal profit on this
adventure
but all costs are being recupped with the pre-ordering period.

Had a lot of help from CO Admin and other geocachers on tracking and design side,
also had a generous donation from a Colorado geocacher to help out on the die fee.

The icon is still up in the air as the policy doesn't directly deal with it but it
probably will and all ready
the German and GeoWoodstock III (Florida) GC.com trackable geocoins
have the "traditional" GeoCoin icon attached.

It will show in the cache, inventory and lists just like a Travel bug.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice info MNMizzou!

However, I'm going to go out on a limb here and state most geocoins (outside the standard issue usa geocoins) don't tend to travel too much, except into someone's collection, or wander out of a cache or get taken and not logged. The extra expense might not prove to be worth it, not to be pessimistic, just more in check with the reality of the situation.

Having a trackable coin is nice, I can't disagree with that, and I'm sure it's something the committee will explore to some extent. But given the board's list of what they are looking for, one point was this.

Quote:
c. We would prefer not to use a Geocaching.com logo.
i. As it would require their permission for use.
ii. As it could alienate members that do not support Geocaching.com.

I'm thinking that directive will mean not having a gc.com trackable coin. However, it doesn't mean some other means of tracking couldn't be developed, or at least considered.
gmichealson
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be wise to have the Minnesota coin trackable on geocaching.com. If my 2 cents is worth anything, there it is. Yeah, that's right, it's not worth anything, but I added it anyway!
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this thread can keep going. However, since the board has appointed a committee (which is still open for participation) that some of this discussion is a little premature. I'm all for open discussion, but what I don't want to see is some members turned off because their idea is not accepted. If you want to be an active participant in the committee please go to the thread and announce your intention. We are still looking for help. All ideas are good but, the open forum is not the place to openly discuss them until the committee has had time to look into the various aspects and to at least gather enough data.

I suspect that within a couple of months you may see some votes come up to the open membership by the committee asking to evaluate some of the alternatives.

So please if you want to participate in the committee come on over to that thread and sign up. We're not turning away help at this point.

Here' a link to the thread to join the committee:
http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1443
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the MnGCA geocoin is one major step closer to production....I thought I would put in my 2 cents.....

At first I had a "thumbs down" approach to having a trackable geocoin on Geocaching.com.

I now wish to reconsider my view towards this.
1st--it is my understanding that the board is still looking for a fulltime Webmaster position. Tracking on MnGCAcoin is possible but not an completely simple process for a volunteer webmaster.

2nd- As much as many member hate to admit it....we are stuck with geocaching.com as our main source of geocaching stats.

3rd- Cost is not a major hangup for me for stats...I'm an icon lover as much as the next geocaching addict. OH looky new icons. ICONS

4th- I hope OHIO geocachers are not going to have a better geocoin than us..... Wink

5th - "do it right the first time" or "measure twice cut once"
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
3rd- Cost is not a major hangup for me for stats...I'm an icon lover as much as the next geocaching addict. OH looky new icons. ICONS

It is for me. Not only does geocaching.com require a $2400 fee UP FRONT they also require a pre-randomized serial number set to be placed on the coin which also increases the serialization cost of the coin for us.

IMHO, adding $3000+ to the cost of a coin which will already cost ~$7/ea is a bit much for something that most people collect or take out of caches and never have move around anyway.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch-

I was impressed with both the presentation given to the MnGCA Board by the Geocoin committee as well with the presentation the Geocoin committee gave to the MnGCA membership at our last meeting.

I am confident they have explored the pros and cons of the ability to track and have made the right decisions. I am confident because he put his research on paper, and it's included in the packet that he gave you at the last MnGCA Board meeting. The scenarios were explained, their decision on the subject was given, and I agree with the Geocoin committee's direction.

-Aaron
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I was on the board I was never allowed 2 view or hear any of the geocoin committee views other than what Articban presented to the board.

...but...the way I look at it....I've got about a week to present my views on this to the current board and current geocoin committee before they move forward with this process.

I didn't fully understand some of the details of what exactly geocaching.com charged for coinnumbers. So I went looking for my own explainations.

It is my understanding that they charge $2250 for 1500 coins if we want it to say MnGCA next to it. $150 for the cool little icon next to it vs. a "cent" sign.

It is also my understanding we could have is say "PERSONAL"geocoin next to it for $1.50 for 500 coins.......not bad IMHO...... this allows for tracking on geocaching.com

...now I see why so many people are getting their own coins and tracking them.... http://www.personalgeocoins.com its not that expensive.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
Even though I was on the board I was never allowed 2 view or hear any of the geocoin committee views other than what Articban presented to the board.

Right, and the information I quoted was from what Arcticabn presented to the Board.

Quote:
...but...the way I look at it....I've got about a week to present my views on this to the current board and current geocoin committee before they move forward with this process.

As you know, the Board has no say in the dealings of the geocoin committee outside of their original charter.

Quote:
It is my understanding that they charge $2250 for 1500 coins if we want it to say MnGCA next to it. $150 for the cool little icon next to it vs. a "cent" sign.

It is also my understanding we could have is say "PERSONAL"geocoin next to it for $1.50 for 500 coins.......not bad IMHO...... this allows for tracking on geocaching.com

It is an MnGCA coin and not a "personal coin" thus the $2400 stands.

Quote:
...now I see why so many people are getting their own coins and tracking them.... http://www.personalgeocoins.com its not that expensive.

Yup.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just voicing my views to the current geocoin committee.....

At this point I really don't care what the views are from the president....

I know I gotta approach them first....

I just hope this doesn't become a "WE SHOULDA"
THEM GAMEPLAN WAS SOLID...why fall short???
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
At this point I really don't care what the views are from the president....

I'm acting as a MnGCA Member and you know it. Stop trying to play games -- I'm not going to stand silently by while you attempt to do so at my expense. As I stated above, the Board has no say in the dealings of the Geocoin Committee (as you very well know). Stop trying to make this out to be me trying to put some sort of Board influence on them and others.

What I'm saying is that IMHO it's not worth adding an additional $2500 to the cost of the coin just so that you can get another icon to clutter your stats page. $2500 is a lot of money when you're trying to limit the cost to $7.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to play passive aggressive on this issue.

If you increase your geocoin production to the number of 1500 you automatically decrease your "PER COIN" production cost.

Most of the die companies drop this cost down for bulk orders.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: