MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MNGCA Geocoin?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
Actually having been part of the geocoin collector rush, the numbers don't surprise me at all, but that's just a personal opinion. I'd try to venture a guess as to how many coins will sell, but it's hard to say given the amount of purchasing time, probably in a couple weeks I think the sales will slow considerably though.

Doesn't surprise me either..I've missed out on some coins when they have a limited # such as 500 and sell out within 15 minutes (like Georgias)..the NY coin (I think 1000 minted) sold out in 36 hours...got 2 of those tho'. I seen in the other thread that Articban said only 9 so far had MN mailing addresses and he couldn't get the caching names....should we email or post...so he knows who's who...if we ordered to make sure we get credit for being a MNGCA member and a lower # coin? I did put my caching name in the notes part of Paypal....
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmnrec wrote:
I seen in the other thread that Articban said only 9 so far had MN mailing addresses and he couldn't get the caching names....should we email or post...so he knows who's who...if we ordered to make sure we get credit for being a MNGCA member and a lower # coin? I did put my caching name in the notes part of Paypal....

I've got it covered. I'll use the official MnGCA roster against the names of the purchasers. It's not that I don't trust people when they say that they are a member, but some individuals think they are members when they are not listed.

Note to All: Remember that if you have not accepted the bylaws by 30 November, midnight, you will be moved over to Cache Only.
PassingWind
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GC tracking and a custom icon would have solved any sales problems you would potentially be facing right now.

Also, e-mail the geocoin purchasing groups, they buy 100's at a time.

PassingWind

By the way, here's the link to the finished product for the San Diego Geocoin with its custom icon.
http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=256384
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for sales for Members, I know I'm going to get a couple at least myself, but I'm waiting til this weekend when I can figure out how many I want before I put in my order...I'm just a standard procrastinator Wink

Celticwulf
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
As for sales for Members, I know I'm going to get a couple at least myself, but I'm waiting til this weekend when I can figure out how many I want before I put in my order...I'm just a standard procrastinator Wink

Celticwulf

You can wait until December 30th if you want it won't effect your position much. If you are a MnGCA member you will be rank ordered by date/time of sale agains the MnGCA members. Then we will rank order by date/time of sale the Mn mailing address orders. Lastly, we will rank order by date/time the rest of the world.

As long as your name is on the official roster at the time the sales close you will be fine.

Of course this means that you must have accepted the bylaws by midnight 30 November or reregistared in December and accepted the bylaws.
fidian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I know this is a very old thread, but I thought my questions would be best placed here.

How much extra does it cost to engrave non-sequential alphanumeric tags on each coin? If they were given in an Excel or a text file, could their system handle that?

I just contacted Groundspeak and they said that coins could be trackable if we paid $1.50 per tracking number, 1,000 minimum. Nothing at all was said about a setup charge, and I did ask about it.

What they did mention:
* Coins have a 2-character prefix and then have 4 random alphanumeric characters: MN8H50J
* Codes are sent in Excel or text format and can take 1-2 weeks to generate
* Use of the geocaching.com logo is not required
* Only text required is "Trackable on Geocaching.com"
* Coin design must be approved ("this is a family friendly site, as you know")
* $1.50 per coin, minimum of 1,000 coin codes

I did actually read this thread, so I know that there are people against using geocaching.com. I also know that people will steal/keep these coins, and that others think having the coins trackable are a waste.

It is late in the game, and I read that there was a sample coin (or maybe it was just the artwork) that was floating around out there, but perhaps it isn't too late to change the logo if others think that this is a good idea. If needed, I'd chip in a few bucks to help offset the cost, because I would much rather have these coins trackable.
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fidian wrote:
It is late in the game, and I read that there was a sample coin (or maybe it was just the artwork) that was floating around out there, but perhaps it isn't too late to change the logo if others think that this is a good idea. If needed, I'd chip in a few bucks to help offset the cost, because I would much rather have these coins trackable.

The ship has pretty much sailed on this particular coin. A committee was formed last spring to investigate the options, and it ended up making a recommendation for a non-trackable coin, and that recommendation was accepted by the group.

The coin is currently for sale with orders being taken until December 31. See Geocoin Sales for more information. If you're interested in having one or more of these coins, now is the time to order.

Once this coin is minted and distributed, there may well be interest in creating another coin and there would surely be a discussion on the options for that one. Stay tuned.
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fidian wrote:

I've seen that some people who like to put them in caches and actually have them travel, will punch a hole in them to keep people from stealing them. If you want a trackable coin, maybe do that and attach at TB dog tag to it?
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fidian,

I and I'm sure the entire geocoin committee appreciate your input.

The coin design is locked in and we have authorized the making of the die. At this point we are waiting for the sample coin to be shipped to us, but the design and die are a done deal. The only thing left is to place the order for quantity and that will happen early next month when we close the presales period (31 Dec 05). As soon as I have the coin in hand I will take pictures and post it on the Geocoin Sales forum page.

There are many reasons why our coin is not trackable. Mostly it has to do with our ability to anticipate sales and not having a guaranteed revenue up front to guarantee trackability. Additionally, trackability is not the only cost. Originally quoted from Groundspeak it was a minimum of 1500 numbers at $1.50 per number plus an additional $200 for a unique icon ($2450) total. Our guarantee was very impportant to us as it represented doing what we said we would do. We didn't want to promise a GC.com trackable coin, presale it and find out we only sold 3 or 400 coins and either had to refund everyone and start over or figure out how to pay for the difference and deliver what we guaranteed.

Secondly there is an additional cost of unique serialization on the coin. All of the manufactues had a price for sequential numbered serialization. Random numbering was significantly higher. Not impossible but double the cost of a serialized coin.

We were not sure of how many coins we would sell, had no up front funding and therefore didn't want to guarantee something we could not deliver. After nearly a month of presales we still have not hit that magic 1000 coins sold mark. Let alone the idea of an original 1500 coins. Do I think that if the coin was trackable it we would have sold an additional 50%. No I don't think so.

It appears to me and this is a personal opinion. People are not really interested in buy a coin and releasing it into the wild so that it can be tracked. They want a trackable coin WITH ICON so that they can log it and get a new ICON on their stats page. It's one of the ways the coin collectors are demonstrating their collection to others. So I agree with dmnrec, if you want to send the coin into the wild put a TB tag on it.

Remember that we were designing a coin for the MnGCA and Minnesota not for the rest of the geocaching community at large. It was not intended to be a big market though it has exceeded our expectations nearly two fold. As for a little bit of stats, we had 51 members vote on the design, however only 38 members/Minnesotians have actually placed orders. The significance of the numbers to me is that we were pretty much on target with what we set out to do.

This response is not intended to be defensive and I hope that anyone reading it does not take it that way. I believe in sharing our information and our reasons for doing what we did. If we (the MnGCA) decides to mint a second coin in the future we take our lessons learned here and apply them to that project. Moreover, maybe a few more members will take an active interest up front in the development and decision making process.

Arcticabn
fidian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger. Just thought I'd throw that out there since I only recently signed up with the MnGCA. I'll have to try to get in on the next discussion for coins.

Thanks for the explanation!
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW

I haven't ordered any coins, but if they were trackable, I would have ordered 10.
PassingWind
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
FWIW

I haven't ordered any coins, but if they were trackable, I would have ordered 10.

Agree.....next coin though!!
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't look good...

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=117270&st=0

I didn't notice it until I got sent the email saying my $ for a coin from another state was getting refunded due to Paypals' no pre-order policy....
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as no one tells Paypal we should be ok....right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the way it looks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: