MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MNGCA Geocoin?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for having a nicely designed coin, and didn't mean to state that just slap a logo on a coin and call it done. The washington and idaho coins were both very well received because they're both very nice looking coins, and Idaho especially had a lot of their state's attributes incorporated in their coin's design.

At the very least, it couldn't hurt to see what people can come up with, I have no doubt as a group there are a few creative people that could rough up what a design for a coin that would best represent our association and state (think of it like designing the state quarter that YOU have a choice in). Past a rough design that we could come up with, many of the coin minters out there have their own designers that work with groups to finalize the design they choose to do. There are a ton of options in the line of what can be added to a coin as well, and if the idea is to differentiate ourselves from other states, there are a few coin options that other states haven't explored, such as a punched coin, where some areas of the coin are punched out to accentuate the design.

Again, like I believe Silent Bob and s4xton are saying, it's not something that needs to be rushed into, but it can be discussed over time, let people mull it over a bit and add their input. In the end that'll produce a better coin that everyone would be happy with.

If anyone cares to see what other state association coins look like, to get an idea of what kind of options are there, and what has been done, I have collected a few of them, and would be happy to bring them to the next event.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a fund raiser! It would be cool to get together and do something to earn some money, and have it applied towards a really nice worthwhile coin design and minting! Then - there wouldn't be any conflict between spending the money on a unique coin, and personal pockets.
gmichealson
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Minnesota geocoins... Reply with quote

I would definitely fork over some dough for a Minnesota specific coin. If somebody is creating a list of potential donors, please add me to it.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If somebody is creating a list of potential donors, please add me to it.

I think your already on it! This is the list... ( i think )
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that makes 4 or 5 interested people. I'm sure it'd take more than that to get the ball moving, but anything is a start.

I'd be happy to help out in getting the ball rolling, I've got a few contacts I could touch base with to see how their geocoin minting experience has been, what hasn't been done yet, what could make a Minnesota geocoin unique, something that everyone would want to get their hands on. Perhaps draw up a plan that the board could vote on?
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah KCOGRN, that is exactly right. This serves as a great place to find out what interest is out there. Even though there is 4-5 as you stated above, I'm sure it will grow, and more interest and discussion will come of it on this thread. It's just a matter of time (which someone else said too) until we get some good ideas, and a design, and people, and money, and all. It will "come together" - maybe just not "right now". But we'll have it eventually!
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot, I'm just glad some discussion has finally started on even the idea of the possibility of getting a coin minted. Best to have things out in the open for people to at least talk about, generate interest, what have you.

And yes, I totally agree with the fact that it'll take time to get something worthy of representing not only the MnGCA, but Minnesota in the geocaching world, and to make it more than just another coin.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acticban made a good comment....

For those that put the effort on this project for research, upfront costs, design, etc.....

I know that the highly collectable geocoins are the different ones...such as gold vs. bronze, low numbered coins, etc......I "would be guessing" that those that put in the effort will be rewarded somehow...
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at this thread... seems like there is a lot of support out there for a MnGCA geocoin. First of all, I'm still a newbie at this sport, but I really didn't know there was such a market for collecting geocoins.

I have collected coins on and off for many years. Used to collect mainly American coins, but now I've switched to ancient Roman coinage. I don't have any real talent for art myself, but I understand quite a bit about how coins wear, and what types of design elements do and do not work well.

I have been something of a critic of the U.S. State Quarters program, with a couple of exceptions. In my opinion, the Maine quarter is the nicest design so far. Oregon's is also nice for its simplicity and the perspective of Crater Lake.

The Minnesota coin is abysmal in an artistic sense. Sure, the guys in the boat, the loon, the trees... it all says "Minnesota, but the outline of the state looks like a monster's rising out of the lake, ready to devour the guys in the boat. Don't get me started on some of the other state quarter designs.

Anyway, back to the Minnesota geocoin. I would be interested in being a part of a group that helps out on this. I think I would be helpful in giving some opinions about the layout and design elements, but I don't think I would be very good at helping to create the actual artwork itself. It appears we'll have some creative people at work on this though.
GPSr
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in 5-10 coins too. I found this site that has prices on it. The owners are former military people. The gallery shows coins they produced for the Great Basin and Eastern Sierra GC Rally and one for the Georgia GC Ass'n. They have a lot of examples of different finishes too.

http://www.coinsforanything.com
pogopod
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy some. I have my own wooden nickle and I have traded with cachers all over the world. I would enjoy having a Minnesota coin to trade with other cachers.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested in helping to create the Minnesota Geocoin please reply here Arrow http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1443
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is semi-on-topic : just one quick question

Pogopod - where or how did you have your wooden nickles made?

I'm just curious, and I'm sure others may be as well

Ok - back to the coin!
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaywc7 wrote:

I did a search for "wooden" and found this:

http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61

Pogopod already answered your question.

-Aaron
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s4xton wrote:
jaywc7 wrote:

I did a search for "wooden" and found this:

http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61

Pogopod already answered your question.

-Aaron

You and your searches Rolling Eyes

JK - thanks! Wink

(SB - sorry - this got a tad longer then I thought it would - go ahead and split this if you deem neccesary)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: