MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MNGCA Geocoin?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I go about reaching the Geocoin committee then?
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could use "Same day registation" (or same month in case of geocoin). Note MN at 72%.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/same-day-reg/message/108
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been discussed by the 2005 Board. Due to our current low voter turnout, we figured it would be unfair for our membership. Take the scenario where someone malicious could quietly run for Board and then suddenly at the meeting brings 30 friends and his/her slate wins by a landslide.

-Aaron
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the links provided to the information given way back when, etc. People are still claiming they received no notice.

Quote:
Due to requirements created in the Bylaws we have updated the registration information form that most of you have filled out when signing up for the website. The form now includes three check boxes at the bottom that ask for some important information that helps us to determine if you are an eligible MnGCA Voting Member and whether you would like to be contacted with important Association news. The first checkbox is to verify that you are 18 years of age or older, the second is to verify that you agree to the terms listed in the MnGCA Bylaws, and the third is to let us know if you would like to be contacted with important Association news (i.e. nominations, voting, or dissolution). While you are not required to agree to the E-mail Usage Policy you must be 18+ and agree to the Bylaws in order to vote in elections.

You can not be "grandfathered" in. The organization was incorporated. In theory, we all ceased to be members at that point, as the organization that was born was brand new. To make the transition as seamless as possible, the board in controlat that time opted to allow people to vote while warning them to provide the information if they wanted to continue to do so. The other option would have been to simply reset everyone to zero status. Then the first hint of inelligibility would have been the denial to vote at the general election. Instead, you wind up not being able to vote for a coin. If the coin is SO important to you that you feel the need to get this upset, why didn't you join the committee to help create it? The snippet posted above and taken from the post warning the forum users clearly indicates what you needed to verify and/or agree to to be a voting member. Another warning, or a warning posted elsewhere likely would have made no difference. The important part is, you have discovered the problem with your membership status and fixed it. Move on.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s4xton wrote:
Take the scenario where someone malicious could quietly run for Board and then suddenly at the meeting brings 30 friends and his/her slate wins by a landslide.

And if you think this scenario seems far-fetched, this is precisely what happened to another organization I was once part of.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
How do I go about reaching the Geocoin committee then?

PM any of the members.
Arcticabn (Committee Chair)
Jambro
KCOGRN
MnMizzou
fsu*noles
LanceVE

Last edited by Arcticabn on Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
JT
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:

BTW -- as per JT's request, we should have a Membership List accessable from your cacher page (if you are an MnGCA Member and have agreed to the Bylaws) sometime within the next 24 hours.

W00t!

Thanks!

-JT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Due to our current low voter turnout, we figured it would be unfair for our membership.

Quote:
then suddenly at the meeting

The way I read this you have to attend the meeting in order to vote. It's a little hard when the meetings are 100 + miles away and during a weeknight. It seems like most of these seem to be held in or near the TC. I wouldn't care to be a member of the board, but it doesn't make it easy for anyone outside the TC to even want to be a board member, thus most of what happens is decided by those few that do go to the meetings.

I still think that when you have an important issue like the couple of topics dealing with the geocoin and the reloging in on the site are there should be something mentioned about this on the front page. I for one would much rather see info like this on the front page then the announcement of which cache won the COTM (I am not bashing the COTM. I think that is important too.) I just think that there needs to be more thought put into major changes that could affect membership.

I will go now and let those involved decide what happens from here.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
The way I read this you have to attend the meeting in order to vote. It's a little hard when the meetings are 100 + miles away and during a weeknight. It seems like most of these seem to be held in or near the TC. I wouldn't care to be a member of the board, but it doesn't make it easy for anyone outside the TC to even want to be a board member, thus most of what happens is decided by those few that do go to the meetings.

If you continue to refuse to read and understand the voting logistics I am going to refuse to continue to answer you.

YOU DID NOT HAVE TO ATTEND THE MnGCA MEETING TO VOTE. You could have voted by absentee ballot available in PDF format, via mail, or even fax. All you had to do was then mail it back in. Other people did it. If you have any further questions regarding voting logistics of the 2006 Elections please let me know privately.

Quote:
I still think that when you have an important issue like the couple of topics dealing with the geocoin and the reloging in on the site are there should be something mentioned about this on the front page.

The geocoin information was posted on 10/10/05 on the front page, see here: http://www.mngca.org/articles.php?strArtType=12&strArtID=104

The other information about the updates was available on the forum since June. I'm sorry that you weren't notified via the front page but I know that you have read the forum between June and now so it is possible that you could have read the message there.

You are now notified and it should all be good for you from now on.

Happy cachin'.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you werne't an MnGCA member as of 10/8/05 you won't be added to the coin group (this includes agreeing to the Bylaws).

Quote:
Arcticabn, posted October 10, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On October 8th, 2005 the MnGCA Coin Committee unveiled three design options at the Fall Membership Meeting in Brainerd, MN. The design options were available for viewing to those in attendance.

On October 15th, 2005 a MnGCA web forum for the purpose of voting on one of the specific designs will open to all registered MnGCA members as of October 8th. At that time all registered members will see a new topic appear under the MnGCA section on the Forum. Please note this vote is open to all registered members.

Isn't this a little late? You post this to the site after the date that you have to be registered in order to vote for the coin. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems a little confusing to me??
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were asked to discuss this directly with the Geocoin Committee. I posted the information as they asked, how they asked. Your beef is with them.

Contact them via the method that Arcticabn suggested to you elsewhere.
PassingWind
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the "online" and distant membership that participate and want to have an active role in the organization and the geocoin process how do we obtain the geocoin designs choices so that we could provide some constructive input ?
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM any of the members.
Arcticabn (Committee Chair)
Jambro
KCOGRN
MnMizzou
fsu*noles
LanceVE
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
HugoBear
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PassingWind wrote:
For the "online" and distant membership that participate and want to have an active role in the organization and the geocoin process how do we obtain the geocoin designs choices so that we could provide some constructive input ?

http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1812
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HugoBear wrote:
PassingWind wrote:

http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1812

Unfortunately, this does not work if you didn't agree to the bylaws before now, as I've just found out and has been stated in this thread. Even though I'm part of the geocoin committee, I'm not allowed onto the post because....I missed the part about checking the boxes! I don't recall anything about having to check boxes, but that's life. Honestly, any of the three designs will look great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: