MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

May 2005 Cache of the Month -- VOTE HERE

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which cache should be May 2005 COTM?
Share the Land by King Boreas
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Take A Rest At Ryan's Rest II by Big Bird and Son
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Watch This Cache by Jeepers_Creepers
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Lake Nokomis Willow by JJJeffr and Candy Apple Green
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 11

Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: May 2005 Cache of the Month -- VOTE HERE Reply with quote

It's time to vote (and sorry I'm a day or so late)! You'll find the nominations in this posting (in no particular order). Voting ends on April 30.

Thanks to all who submitted nominations and to everyone for voting!

--------------------------------
Nominations:
--------------------------------

Share the Land
Nominated by Marsha and Silent Bob

Knowing that this month’s COTM theme was caches with scenic views I had a difficult time choosing just one as there are so many amazing caches out there with amazing views.

After much thought I decided on a well known but rarely completed multi by our very own King Boreas named Share the Land. It is one of the longer multis you will ever do even though the actual walking is minimal. s4xton and I completed this last April after work one night and had an absolute blast. You can read my recollection of that amazing caching weekend here in an article that I wrote for Geocaching Today.

The second stage of the cache is probably one of the most memorable and it sticks out in my mind as one of the most beautiful ever. We pulled up just as the sun was starting to set and it certainly was picturesque.

If are ever looking for a great day of caching and you are looking to do the most unique multi in the State I suggest Share the Land.

Thanks King Boreas!

http://gallery.lazylightning.org/gc-20040430/100_0593

----------------------------------------------

Take A Rest At Ryan's Rest II by Big Bird and Son
Nominated by s4xton

After a fantastic day of geocaching in the Winona area, I realized that a number of the great caches were hidden by Big Bird and Son. Many of them offer some excellent views, but "Take A Rest At Ryan's Rest II" stood out for a few reasons:

* The path to the cache is not easy to find! Luckily there is a hint for that if you need it.

* Unlike many of the beautiful areas of Winona, this one seems to be visited much less, and as far as I'm aware, not as well known.

* Out of all the places to put the cache, it's placed at probably the best vantage point in the park.

* While the coordinates are right on, it still might be a short challenge to find.

* The hike isn't too short nor too long.

* Of course, the view!

Here is one of the views from the cache:

More photos from this cache and other caches in Winona are here:

http://s4xton.com/photos/20050312-Winona (this is the inline image)

----------------------------------------------

Watch This Cache by Jeepers_Creepers
Nominated by Pear Head

I've read enough the the Cache of the Month submissions. I decided it's about time that I contribute to the program...

After a conversation with Silent Bob a while ago, I realized that I had been to one cache recently that I could write about.

The cache, Watch This Cache, by Jeepers_Creepers offered a number of things that were very appealing to me:

Arrow A little bit of a puzzle (you have to visit two easy to get to sites before you visit the container)
Arrow A nice, yet short, hike (about a 1/4 mile, ALL uphill) (or if you want you can drive right to the area in the summer)
Arrow Quite the view from the trail overlooking the east end of Duluth and Lake Superior
Arrow A chance to see some wildlife. I saw 4 deer standing pretty much on top of the cache container as I approached.
Arrow A little tour around town (you visit two totally different areas of Duluth).

The cache is winter friendly (he changes out the container in the winter to something a little different - I found the 'summer version' I guess). I suggest that you either hike up the trail from 51st or 52nd Ave E (I forgot which one it was), or else you walk down the trail a little from the cache site to enjoy the view. There is a homemade bench partway down the trail for you to sit on and enjoy.

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------

Lake Nokomis Willow by JJJeffr and Candy Apple Green
Nominated by JT

This Mystery Cache is one of the best urban hides I have done yet. Its placement and creativity are incredible! Cool

Placed 6-29-2005 in the Lake Nokomis area in Minneapolis. The area offers spectacular summer views as well as lots of family fun. Nice walking trails and bike trails in the area.

I first completed this cache with the Week-Night Caching crew last October, darkness definitely added to the challenge. With the weather nice this past weekend, I returned to watch my son, brother, and nephew attempt a find. Much to my amazement, my newphew made the find almost right away.

I would encourage all cachers to give this one a shot if your in the Minneapolis area. It is alot of fun!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: