MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MN Approver(s)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtn-man
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
What incentive does mtn-man have to take care of caches that have been SBAd, noted on, verified missing, and SBAd again are taken care of in a timely fashion? A state resident is more likely to accomodate those issues than someone living/caching 1000+ miles away.

Actually, I am glad you brought that up. To answer the question, the incentive is to do my job well. It doesn't matter whether the SBA is in the park in the next city over or in Japan. I'm not going to go the cache owner's house to talk to them about it. I am going to email them.

The reason why I am glad you said this is because we had a problem in the late summer. The SBA emails stopped working. None of us got notifications. If you SBA'd a cache in the last 45 days or so, feel free to email me. Click on my name at the bottom for a link to my profile page. Jeremy is trying to look for a way to go back and get those old ones, but so far he has not done that. Once again, it might be something else besides the reviewer just not doing anything about it.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtn-man wrote:
The reason why I am glad you said this is because we had a problem in the late summer. The SBA emails stopped working. None of us got notifications. If you SBA'd a cache in the last 45 days or so, feel free to email me.

I have e-mailed you the cache page link.
mtn-man
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtn-man wrote:
The reason why I am glad you said this is because we had a problem in the late summer. The SBA emails stopped working. None of us got notifications. If you SBA'd a cache in the last 45 days or so, feel free to email me.

I have e-mailed you the cache page link.

Done, thanks.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too wish we had a local approver as Wisconsin does.

Having said that I also want to say thanks to mtn-man for his help.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the other words of thanks, I want to again offer mine. While I am on the side of those that believe we should have a local approver, I also understand that we DON'T have one. I don't always agree with some of mtn-man's decisions (as he knows), I respect the fact that he is what I believe to be a fair reviewer that is following the rules that have been established.

I still believe we need a local (state) approver however.

Also, I want to thank mtn-man for his participation in our forums. It shows an interest in caching in MN, and I'm happy to see him answering some questions here (and taking some heat, justified or not).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im curious to know how many 'total' approvers there, and what the average amount of states each person covers ??
Whos got SD?, ND?, IA etc-? Is it important to compare surrounding areas and how its handled elsewhere?
Wouldnt comparing other regional areas, and the process be valuable in figuring out what works, and why?(how, etc)

I realize in some cases, people can cover 2,3 or 4 states that arent very populated, as the workload would be less.

Wisconsin can have one, Minnesota can Not. Wait, I believe it might even be 2? or more? I havent really looked into it, but I'd still rather have a Wisconsin approver review something since they are more likely to have a closer understanding of MN, and its areas - or might have possibly already worked with someone involved with a certain area. With 2 for WI (If thats accurate)
each person has a backup, so when personal tragedy affects you, you have an option. WE have an option.
mtn-man- with all due respect I feel sorry for all your family troubles, and understand your feelings toward this - but to reverse your same argument on you-

MN cacher: "I hid a cache 2 weeks ago- sheesh, I know there was a hurricane or 2 (x,000 miles away) but someone needs to do the job. Word of mouth is spreading on my now long awaited cache, but it wont get listed. Bugs might be involved, the big ftf, token ftf prizes, etc. We are Here in MN, mostly un-affected for the most part (aside from gas pirces). We ALL have our daily grind, and unfortunately family events and tragedies. We stop caching, being in the caching world. But, the game goes on around us, without any affect.

The geocaching world shouldn't revolve around any single person or process - it needs to be flexible to move forward. WE are stuck in one place, and have been for a long time. Why? Cant a solution be worked out, or is it the usual "Then go build your own site"
We are all seemingly forced to operate within the groundspeak world. So be it.

Other states can, and have worked this out. Lets, Please do something productive with this, and get out of this dead end lock we have with the current situation.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisconsin has an approver because as part of the WIDNR's deal with Groundspeak and WGA to get caches onto DNR lands was to have a local approver.
Rouster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would our DNR be willing to strike the same deal?

mtn-man had no comments about my recently approved cache, so I have no complaints about him.

Personally, it shouldn't matter where the approver is located. NO local approver is going out to verify any location. The tools they use are available Worldwide.

As the number of caches expands, only mtn_man can tell us whether the workload has exceed his limit.

mtn_man: I wish you and your family well.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rouster wrote:
Would our DNR be willing to strike the same deal?

Only they could answer that.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtn-man,
Several questions: On average, how much time per week do you spend on everything necessary to approve caches in Minnesota? Do you cover other states? Does anyone else approve caches in Minnesota? Do approvers have the flexibility to hand off part of their workload to other approvers when a backlog piles up? Is there anything that would prevent a Minnesotan from handling this responsibility?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can answer some of those:

spinowner wrote:
Do you cover other states?

He does, yes. Multiple in fact.

Quote:
Does anyone else approve caches in Minnesota?

No, we only have one approver.

Quote:
Do approvers have the flexibility to hand off part of their workload to other approvers when a backlog piles up?

Yes, especially during vacation, real life work, etc
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=3cbab034-935f-4aad-8bf5-62eba5237a43
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0d47656f-67c9-4114-bfb9-3d0fb3c28b87

I thought at first he was personally checking it out..but wrong beach.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=3cbab034-935f-4aad-8bf5-62eba5237a43

Yeah, last Wednesday I had to wait almost a full hour to get "Rummaged" approved while he lollygagged on the beach somewhere. I emailed him to let him know in no uncertain terms that that was totally unacceptable.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4+ days. Time before that was 5+ days.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: