MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MN Approver(s)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as one who has had two caches denied (for good reasons) I think having someone review caches is a good idea. In each case I made an honest mistake, which I corrected. Both caches were subsequently approved.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't the geocaching community help you with that? Let's say there was no approval process and you posted a cache that was in somewhere that didn't allow caches... You'll get 5+ notes on your cache page letting you know right away.

Either way, you've already placed the cache - it's just the difference between having an approver let you know you should move it or the community.

-Aaron
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s4xton wrote:
Either way, you've already placed the cache - it's just the difference between having an approver let you know you should move it or the community.

Then move to the cache listing service that operates like that. Groundspeak can operate their approval proecss however they want. We need to work within their framework while dealing w/their listing service.

So, because of that, if you have an issue w/any particular approval, cache reviewer, etc, contact Groundspeak directly via the e-mail address I provided earlier.

If enough people voice their concerns or opinions, perhaps hydee and the rest of the reviewer team (mtn-man included) will make some changes (again).
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. (what s4xton said)
mtn-man
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the heck. I guess I have to explain my every move.

Back around the end of August my dad had a stroke. I got really busy with him. My mom cannot take care of herself, so we had to step up. I missed caches for a few days. "Sorry Dad, I can't come see you even though you are flat on your back in the hospital. Rickrich might place a cache today and I have to sit by the computer today waiting to see if he does." I don't think so. Sorry.

I am from Louisiana originally. All of my family lived through Katrina but we were not sure about one of them until about a week later. My aunt lives in New Orleans proper. She is about a mile from the 17th Street levee break over by the west edge of City Park. She almost stayed since she just could not get out of the house that day. Her house was in about 8 to 9 feet of water. We feel she has lost everything. If she would have stayed she probably would not have made it into the attic. She has been getting bounced around between cousins and uncles and other relatives. I told my dad that I would go get her since he cannot drive that far anymore. I ended up going down there and getting her and bringing her to my dad's house (her twin brother, they are both 79). She left her house with one change of clothes thinking it would be OK. Geez, you are worried about your little geocache approval? People down there lost everything they have. My aunt is a smart gal and has flood insurance. She will recover, but our family lost a lot of it's history in that flood. My aunt never married and lives in the house my grandmother move into as the other kids were moving out of the house. Basically she has lived in the same house for about 60 years. Pictures, letters, memories, the door with the heights of all the kids marked on it when we visited... all gone. The next project is taking her down and going into her house with her to see what we can salvage. It is going to be a rough day when we do that.

Somewhere in there we bought a new game, Star Wars Galaxies. I wanted my wife to get into a game since I play the Myst Series of games and have a lot of fun with them. Well, she really got into it. Big time. So much so now that she has taken over the desktop computer. After much complaining I went out and bought a new smokin-hot laptop (Toshiba P35) and have moved almost everything over to it. Reviewing was doing better until the problems with Katrina. I am glad I have the "free calls after 9 PM" thing or my phone bill would be astronomical. My gas bills for going to Birmingham from Atlanta almost every weekend have been interesting too.

Oh yeah, geocaches...

For the 1st of the 1st's cache (which no one can see ironically), I tend to air on the side of caution since some look at everything I do so they can jump up and criticise me when I make the slightest of errors. The cache owner never wrote explaining that my decision might not be right. I know of towns that are in National Forest property. It happens. If the cache owner doesn't care enough to email a clarification then why should anyone else care?

s4xton, the community already has input. Looks like the system is pretty much in place already. There is a topic in your forums now about an old cache that might be in an SNA area. Looks like the system is working right now. Third party people are already involved to boot. I don't see you placing caches in State Parks or National Parks, etc. There are broader sites out there, but some are not free to all. A wide variety of sites are out there now. Feel free to start one of your own as well. www.geo-utopia.com is not taken right now. For a few bucks you can show us all how its done!

Oh well. Feel free to keep sniping at me. It doesn't bother me. My dad having a stroke? My aunt leaving her house in NOLA on Sunday afternoon as the storm approached because she felt she could not drive her car that day and being pulled out by my cousin at the last minute? I worry about important things like that.

Ah, I've got a brother in Houston, BTW. Looks like another interesting weekend coming up. He is tough and smart and is probably long gone. I've got some vacation planned too. Dang. I forgot to clear it with rickrich first. Bummer. Is it OK if I take next week off rickrich? I'll keep the laptop with me on the beach waiting for you to submit a cache. It has built in WIFI. Is that OK?
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly why we need a local approver.
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:

Even a local approver could have their world fall apart like mtn-mans..whoever is doing the approving, we need to cut them some slack (and treat them in a civil manner)..just like the guy that cuts you off in rush hour traffic..for all you know he could be a jerk or he could be rushing someone to the emergency room.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:

And that attitude is exactly why we DON'T have a local approver.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtn-man wrote:
s4xton, the community already has input. Looks like the system is pretty much in place already. There is a topic in your forums now about an old cache that might be in an SNA area. Looks like the system is working right now. Third party people are already involved to boot. I don't see you placing caches in State Parks or National Parks, etc. There are broader sites out there, but some are not free to all. A wide variety of sites are out there now. Feel free to start one of your own as well. www.geo-utopia.com is not taken right now. For a few bucks you can show us all how its done!

I'm not talking about the community having input, I'm talking about the community replacing the approval process. I wasn't blaming you for anything, and there's no reason why your personal life should be trumped by your geocaching approval life.

Yes I am well aware that there are other sites out there now that are figuring these things out, and I don't need to start my own and I am well aware on how to look up domain name availability. There was no reason for you to insult me in that manner.

-Aaron

P.S. If you want to reply to me personally I'm going to take it off forum. Please just email me.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some people take this way to seriously

I just wanted to Quote a friend....
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I've said this before on an old thread but I think it's worth repeating. With a very few exceptions (such as event caches) there's really no reason why a cache has to be approved by a certain date. What's a week or two when a cache will hopefully be in place for many years? If a specific approval date is desired for a cache it's incumbent on the owner to allow lots of time for approval in case circumstances (like natural disasters) conspire to delay the approval process. The only real advantage I see in having a local resident approving caches is that he/she may be more familiar with some of the placement sites. If it's only the turnaround time that is a problem the solution is to increase the number of approvers. Where they happen to live wouldn't matter.
mtn-man
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmnrec wrote:
rickrich wrote:

Even a local approver could have their world fall apart like mtn-mans..whoever is doing the approving, we need to cut them some slack (and treat them in a civil manner)..just like the guy that cuts you off in rush hour traffic..for all you know he could be a jerk or he could be rushing someone to the emergency room.

You would think that someone who had a heart attack would understand that. Rolling Eyes
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtn-man wrote:
You would think that someone who had a heart attack would understand that. Rolling Eyes

It wasn't a heart attack and let's *all* relax a bit, k?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
The only real advantage I see in having a local resident approving caches is that he/she may be more familiar with some of the placement sites. If it's only the turnaround time that is a problem the solution is to increase the number of approvers. Where they happen to live wouldn't matter.

I'm less concerned with turnaround time and more concerned with being familiar with not only cache placement sites (and rules and regulations that pertain to those areas) but also the caches and cachers.

While I believe mtn-man does his best to get his job done I honestly believe that a state resident would be the best choice to approve caches. What incentive does mtn-man have to take care of caches that have been SBAd, noted on, verified missing, and SBAd again are taken care of in a timely fashion? A state resident is more likely to accomodate those issues than someone living/caching 1000+ miles away.

Again, I think that mtn-man does the best that he can do from where he is but a local approver would have more weight within the community, the personnel, and would have a vested interest in making certain that caching continues to grow in their state.
mtn-man
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s4xton wrote:
I'm not talking about the community having input, I'm talking about the community replacing the approval process.

Honestly, that's terracaching. I personally don't like it. Your sponsor can just change their mind and you and your caches are booted off the site. It has happened. You might get sponsored again, but who knows. I like the free access the GC.com has. You don't have to pay or be sponsored, you just have to place caches in accordance with their guidelines. Jeremy does not like locationless and virtuals. He knows others do so he spent time and hired people to build the waymarking site. None of these many alternatives for geocachers are perfect and each seems to cater to a different taste. I think that is good. Just as in waymarking, the people will decide which site's format they like best. So far they seem to like the GC.com site and it's format more than others.

That's the long answer. I guess the short answer is that I don't see committee review ever happening. People complain about consistency now as it is. It would become more inconsistent if the numbers were expanded in such a way. None of it was meant as an insult. I did not want you or anyone to take it that way.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: