MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SNA's?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: SNA's? Reply with quote

I know state parks out off limits for geocaching, but how about the state Scientific and Natural Areas?

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/snas/list.html
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: SNA's? Reply with quote

5savages wrote:
I know state parks out off limits for geocaching, but how about the state Scientific and Natural Areas?

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/snas/list.html

The policy, as I understand it, is that geocaching is off limits in State Parks. The policy, again as I understand it, does not apply to other DNR lands.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: SNA's? Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
The policy, as I understand it, is that geocaching is off limits in State Parks. The policy, again as I understand it, does not apply to other DNR lands.

That's kind of what I was thinking. If you're going to explicitly ban something from one resource under your control, than that immediately implies that for any other resource where it's NOT explicitly banned, then it's not banned.

Now I realize that many SNAs are of a sensitive nature and too much foot traffic could hurt the area and I would logically avoid those areas. For instance the Black Dog SNA has some areas that are off limits, accessible only with a permit.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The policy, again as I understand it, does not apply to other DNR lands.

I do know that you CAN NOT place caches in State "Wildlife Production Areas." There logic is that they don't want the wildlife disturbed. I have had a few pulled around the Willmar area because of this. Kandiyohi county seems to be strictly enforcing this. Therefore I have pulled all of my caches left in Kandiyohi county that are in any DNR areas cause they like to keep pulling them. I refuse to place anymore in that county other than in parks in town.

I do have a couple of caches in state Nature areas, but tried to make sure they were along trails already present in these areas. In fact one follows a vehicle trail, but vehicles are not allowed in the area Question Confused In these areas the signs I have read state to stay on the trails, which I have done as much as possible.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are called Waterfowl Production Areas, see here: http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=500
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: This is your answer about SNAs Reply with quote

Here is your answer-

Geocaching is absolutely not allowed in State
Scientific and Natural Areas as it is not in State Parks. Please share
this with other folks in your circles. If you have other questions,
please contact Scientific and Natural Areas Program Supervisor Bob
Djupstrom. His telephone # is 651-297-2357.
Ed Quinn
Natural Resource Program Coordinator
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
milbank
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The State of Minnesota does not seem so geocaching friendly. Sad
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The State of Minnesota does not seem so geocaching friendly.

Trust me, for every bureaucratic denial to "Share The Land" with eco-friendly geocachers, there are 100's of wonderful township, city and county parks. It's a joy to discover them.

HEH
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Trust me, for every bureaucratic denial to "Share The Land" with eco-friendly geocachers, there are 100's of wonderful township, city and county parks. It's a joy to discover them.

Amen to that! I work in Edina and because of geocaching I've found many fantastic parks over my lunch hour. Bloomington has an obscene wealth of wild areas. Even though I drive by these places every day, I never would have discovered them had it not been for geocaching.

Pat
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have found many beautiful parks in the Cities to cache- as I have said else where- Duluth is very cache friendly and is working to be more so. Here on the Iron Range, many cities have nice small campgrounds, and the Superior National Forest has some wonderful campgrounds, that many people do not realize-they are not in the BWCAW and give a wilderness experieince- if you fill out their form with prior approval, they are also cache friendly. There are wonderful cache places if you get out of the state park mentality. Many people agonize over going into the BWCAW never realizing that a wilderness experience can be had with no permits in the National Forests. I think I just repeated myself- well, I am off caching-
milbank
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Quote:
The State of Minnesota does not seem so geocaching friendly.

HEH

That's great, but it would still be nice if I could use a Minnesota State park to place a cache.

Guess I can't complain to much, as I don't live in Minnesota or pay there tax.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off-topic discussion about Snowmobile/GPS/Geocaching lobbies has been split off and moved Arrow here at the request of another forum reader.
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Fen Cache Reply with quote

As it turns out, someone else put a cache at the SNA I was considering. When it first came out, I was tempted to contact the owner, but since I hadn't gone out to find it yet, I wasn't 100% sure it was actually on SNA property. Now I see Silent Bob posted a request for it to be archived, so it must be.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5d6d31ed-9486-4053-b786-622e8156f88d
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fen Cache Reply with quote

5savages wrote:
Now I see Silent Bob posted a request for it to be archived, so it must be.

Being that they are newer cachers and the fact that several others have noted how it is in a SNA I have asked for it to be archived. We have definite confirmation from the DNR that it is not allowed and we should not even question whether something can be placed there.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5d6d31ed-9486-4053-b786-622e8156f88d
I found said cache yesterday--I would have grabbed the cache myself, but at the time I was doubtful about the DNR SNA policy, so I left it. I've since emailed the cache owners, but they haven't visited gc.com since 5/7/05, and they have just the one hide and three finds. Unless I hear back from the cache owner or someone beats me to it in the next couple of days, I have no problem swinging past and "stealing" the cache myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: