MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fFinder go

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: fFinder go Reply with quote

I see Lowrance has the go model out with basic mapping, 16 channels = WAAS for about $70-$80 but the thing I think is interesting is that they spec a 48 hour life on 2 AAs.

Anyone seen one of these yet?
RayRoad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I got from Lowrance, when I enquired if they had an external computer connection (serial or USB):
Thank you for your inquiry. The iFinder Go and Go2 have not yet been finalized in
engineering for release. When they are, complete specifications will be posted on
the website. There is no current information regarding any NMEA capabilities. The
units are not MMC compatible and there is a possibility that the data (waypoints)
will not be transferable from the unit.

Thank you for your interest in Lowrance products.

Lowrance Customer Service

It looks like Lowrance messed up big-time, since the iFinder Go and Go2 were advertized in a Cabela's flyer about 3 weeks ago. When I checked out Cabela's Owatonna, they were not in stock, and no rainchecks. The clerk said something about difficulties passing thru customs, but that was probably BS. If anybody hears any new info, I'd like to know 'bout it.
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: iFinder go Reply with quote

That's about what I came up with.

If the follow their past pattern there will be a unit with a memory chip and computer connection. That's what I'm looking for with that 48 hour battery life.
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: iFinder go Reply with quote

I bought one.

Four-five hours of use with a lot of light time and the battery indicator doesn't seem to have moved.

Screen is a little small, but it's a small unit.

Buttons close together, but it's a small unit.

The unit updates map pages a little slow, but not quite enough to make it less useful.

Basic maps, not the very high detail that you get with the higher end Ifinders.

Overall I would call it a really nice entry level unit with small (Etrex yellow) size, for an $80 price.

No way to connect to computer, has an accessory cig lighter power cable which IMO is unneeded with 48 hour battery life.

If they make one that uses an SD chip and maps out of their Map Create package with just a little bit bigger screen, I'll buy another.

This is a super unit as it sits for hunting/fishing use, and a perfectly acceptable unit for caching
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: