MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's your record for DNFs in one day?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's your DNF rate?
1% to 20%
76%
 76%  [ 16 ]
21% to 40%
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
41% to 60%
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
more?
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 21

Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: What's your record for DNFs in one day? Reply with quote

After reading about 15Tango's troubles this weekend w/5 DNFs in one day I decided to poke around on geocaching.com and see how many DNFs I had.

Thinking that I would end up having to count them out manually I found that Jod has done something useful and told us how many records are being shown...

Out of my 979 current finds I have 78 logged DNFs. I had 5 DNFs while caching w/s4xton on 1/23/05. Granted some of those might have been found later but I'm around 8% DNF rate. What's your DNF rate?

http://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1&lt=3
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10.3% for me. 92 DNFs and 800 Finds. 892 total "cache find attempts." (92/892=0.103)

...but I know I've missed logging a few DNFs. And Silent Bob, I know you've missed a couple DNFs too. I just can't remember which. Wink

-Aaron
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I overestimated my percentage due to the possibility of unlogged DNFs. I know I wasn't as diligent at logging DNFs before #100.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoot I have a dnf geocoin... guess that means I don't do so well. I'm plannin on going over my stats tonight, check my list of DNFs, FTFs, and whatnot. All in all, I'm sure I'm just an average cacher, with nothing to really brag about or be ashamed of Smile
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just under 10%... 130 finds, 12 DNFs.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very strict with myself about logging DNF's. Not counting 4 DNF's due to muggled containers or landmarks (but including attempts aborted due to the presence of muggles) I have 31 DNF's and 135 finds. 31/166=18.7%.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My DNF rate is 5.7%. I only log the container as a DNF if I felt I searched adequately but could not locate the container. I don't log it as a DNF (usually) if I ran out of time, it started to rain and I gave up, there were people nearby, etc.

When I log a DNF it's also a note to me that I really couldn't find the container - I don't normally go back to a cache that I logged as a DNF unless there are good find logs after my DNF (not "Found: I found the hole where it used to be" or "Found: I found the remenants of the container.")

49 DNFs for 795 finds (thus 847 total searches).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch!...............15% Thanks
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't usually DNF a cache if I couldn't access it for one reason or another, such as there being too many people in an area that calls for stealth, or if I spy a smelly and/or dangerous wild animal (uncommon, but it happened once) or group of rowdy young ne'er-do-well Homo sapiens on the path to a cache.

In those instances, I've usually posted a note on the cache's web page instead of a DNF, explaining why I could not access the cache itself. I figure a DNF should be logged only if I've had a chance to look in the cache area, but didn't actually locate the container.

There were also two times when I approached a cache area, but didn't actually go looking for the cache when I approached the final coordinates because I was uncertain if the area was private property. Unless the cache's page *specifically* states that "permission has been granted to place this cache on private property", I am a bit cautious before I go foraging when it seems that this might be the case. So then I e-mailed the cache owners to enquire about those areas, and I was duly assured that searching for the caches was "OK" in both instances.

The time I allot to finding a cache usually depends on several factors, the most important of which are the time I actually have to devote to a particular find, the weather conditions, the bug factor, and muggles in the area.

I think the longest amount of time I have ever looked for a cache was when I searched for Silent Bob and Marsha's "Infamous Snipe Hunt" last autumn (with KC0GRN). I looked for about an hour before I finally gave up.

Though I haven't been able to go out as much as some of the regulars here, I think I have a pretty good hunting instinct when it comes to actually finding the little buggers. Perhaps that's because I spent so much time in the woods as a kid... I developed a sense of what was "usual" vs. what was "unusual" in my many forays into the forests.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only am I strict with myself about logging DNF's but apparently I'm also strict about how I define them. I count my visit as a DNF if I arrive at the site of the cache intending to look for it and do not find it no matter what the reason. Also, I'm primarily a lunch break urban cacher and as such I often have a very limited time to look. This obviously inflates my DNF rate, but so what.
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I brought this topic up in a round about way, I've got 127 DNFs to 803 finds, or close to 16%--some of those DNFs are caches I went back to and found. In total, I have 1032 logs--the balance is 92 notes, and some of those could be DNFs--I went to the area, but there were too many muggles, I found what used to be a cache container, etc.

My DNF rate seems to go up when I get close to a milestone--Sunday, I was closing in on 800, and I thought I'd go caching for a couple of hours so the Geo 101 event could be my milestone, but it was like I couldn't find a cache if it was painted blaze orange with a flashing strobe light attached to it. Now that I've reached the milestone, I'll probably have no problem until I get to around 875, then I'll hit another slump.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked my DNF rate. Most DNF's in one day (2). Total DNF's (15). I have looked for a total of 202 caches. This amounts to 191 finds, 15 DNF's, (4 were caches that weren't there when I looked, 4 that I haven't found, 4 that I have found at a later point, and 3 that I didn't find due to time issues. Not sure what that amounts for a percentage though. Too tired to figure it out.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well lets see, my Hall of Shame has been updated, and here's the stats.

709 finds, 47 DNFs (I didn't count missing caches, nor ones I didn't attempt due to muggles or unavailablity of the location). This gives me roughly a 6.3% DNF rate. If I just include physical caches, 587 total for me, I get an 8% DNF rate.

I'm guessin once again I'm pretty much average.

Here's the link to my Hall of Shame
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, last week I had my worst day of caching ever: 1 "find" on a virtual, and 2 DNF's...and that was it for the day.

Joelcam and I had 5 DNFs together on one day, but we had heavy snowfall and 25 other finds that day so I at least felt better about it. The thing is, we spent at least 20-30 minutes at each DNF (in addition to hike time) so it really chews up the time. I think 3 of the DNF's were Exonumias - I'm thinking about stealing zoejam72's idea and just posting my Exonumia DNF's before I actually visit the cache location to save me the trouble...

-Ken
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
DNF's were Exonumias - I'm thinking about stealing zoejam72's idea and just posting my Exonumia DNF's before I actually visit the cache location to save me the trouble...

I hate looking for those ... Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: