MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Southern caches

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Southern caches Reply with quote

Here we are in Natchez, Mississipi-slogging through the bayous- yuk! but the water levels are up and some of the caches which were on the edge of the water are now 2-3 feet into the water! great historical caches- in Alexandria LA there is a cache in the old Fort Livingston where they processed over 30,000 GIs for WWII and was a POW camp during. Then yesterday we did 3 caches in the Natchez city cemetery-there are people buried in there from the 1700's. HEading up to Vicksburg in the am. If any of you ever can get in theis area and cache-it is worthwhile and can't beat the weather! Ihave a TBUG that needs to go to the Metrodome that I will be dropping off as we come through town in a couple of weeks. I won't have time to do it as we do a turn around and head out the NJ.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun. Is cache hunting down there a lot like it is here in the summer? I'm going to a wedding in Birmingham, Alabama in May, and I hope to bag a few caches, just to add another state to my profile. I've heard that kudzu is running amok down south--I haven't been down south since I went to Infantry Officer's Basic Course at Ft. Benning in 1992, and the kudzu was there, but not too bad, then.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in Louisiana, I couldn't believe the remarkable lengths of bridge! The bayou areas seem to go on and on forever. There seemed to be little lizards everywhere...
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: more southern caches Reply with quote

We cached in Vicksburg, and learned dome interesting historical facts. If you type in the zip for Vicksburg you will find a cache that takes you to a point where Grant tried to dig a canal(still shows) around Vicksburg for his barges-

There are a lot of cemetery caches here. One cache in the Natchez cemetery is at a working oil welll - yea, I said there is a working oil well in the Natchez city cemetery.

By now we have encountered mosquitoes, and been scratched by briars and thorns. I had a thorn go through my fingernail-ouch! Also the bird dog got scratched by poison oak or something irritating and has water welts on his arm, leg and face- long scractches, but puffed up wtih liquid- strange.

We are in St. Genevieve Missouri heading for Herman adn then Hannibal and up 61 to home . We are at the library now pulling up cacahes- there are tons to do.

For any one heading to the Missouri event- if you can take time to do some of these caches it is really worthwhile. Along the way we hiit 300 caches-now at 310. Numbers aren't important to us, but it is just fun to go over another 100 point. we enjoy just getting out finding the caches and learning soemthing about local history.

We are sending warm weather your way., hopefully.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're into U.S. Grant, check out Galena, IL! Not sure if you're familiar with it or not, but it's a really cool town in NorthWestern Illinois. This is where U.S. Grant made his home. One of my favorite towns...

http://www.swissperpetual.com/galena2004.html
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are home from our grand 2 month adventure. Finished up caching up 61 to MN-stopped at the border because we can always do that from our home.
There was a neat cache in Vicksburg- a guy somehow heard that a Civil War cannon was buried under a house. He wanted that cannon- bought the house, tore it down, dug up the cannon-leveled and grassed in the yard and now displays the cannon on hte property.-in down town Vicksburg. Hubby enjoyed being in the Savannah, Galena area again as he was at Ft. McCoy and spent lots of free time in the area when he was in the service.

Yes, Kudzu is all over- worse than it was went we went through this area 13 years ago. There are programs to rid the area of it, but it is horrible- especially this time of the year when it is all gray.

Yes, I understand the humidity and mosquitoes are horrible for cachers in the summer. There are also lots of thorny bushes- worse than prickly ash. I would not wear shorts, and bring leather gloves if you are going to be in any bushy areas.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 months! Wow, that's a nice long adventure... I was excited to leave the weather in MN, but now it's wearing on me. I've been here in Arizona for just over a month, and won't be back until late July or early August. I'm going to miss my coveted MN summer. Sad

I will be flying back though to see my girl graduate from college! Atleast I'll have a vacation from this place, back to MN. (Never thought I'd say that...) Very Happy
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spread your wings and fly, but remember you not only have a large core family at home, but a large circle of family in the CLs area who are there for you wherever you roam. Good luck- have fun, you are only young once.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have very little to do with my family, but I know what you mean. Poor decision making and too much drama has always seemed to turn me away. Hopefully with an airline career, I'll be able to live many miles away! Laughing Just me and the girly...

(Sorry Silent Bob! Don't lash me! I'll get back on topic.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: