MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to find a lanyard?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Where to find a lanyard? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a lanyard for my Etrex Legend, so I can wear it around my neck. Any suggestions? The only one's I've found were too thick to fit through the tiny slot that the Etrex has.

Thanks,
Pat
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could always run heavy nylon thread through the unit lanyard hook and then clip the larger lanyard to the heavy nylon thread...
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Dragonslay
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with any computer people that you know. Flash drives usually come with a lanyard. I have been using one on my etrex for a year now and its holding up real good.
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*green* wrote:
Check with Etrex... My 'Legend' came with its own lanyard...

It will be really embarassing if I check the box and the lanyard is in there! It'd save me money though, I'll have to check tonight. Thanks!

If not, I'll go with the nylon thread idea, or something similar to that. I have some 250# dacron kite sting that would be perfect for that.

Pat
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*green* wrote:
You may also find a computer plug-in thingy. I gotsed one o'those, too.

The plug-in thingy I did find. I've got it plugged into the PC right now. What I probably did is toss the lanyard back into the box because I have never used them before and didnt' figure I would with this. Twice now, though, I've set it down at a cache and *almost* forgot to pick it back up when I left.

EDIT: I downloaded the owner's manual and see the reference to the lanyard, but it looks like wrist lanyard rather than a neck lanyard. is this the case?

Pat
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*green* wrote:
Beats me. I don't know the difference between the two... Length?

My manual was with mine... But (I'm as guilty as you as to not looking thoroughly at things!) did yours come with any CDs or somepin' like that?

Sounds like a neck lanyard to me!

No CDs come with it. You can use some of the free/share ware out there, or plop down $100 (+/-) for a Garmin Mapsource product (only garmin software will actually load up in the GPS). I use EasyGPS on the PC for downloading coordinates from geocaching.com and then uploading those to my GPS. This is a very simple, very straightforward program.

I soon realized, though, that the utility of this GPS would be greatly increased by getting Mapsource Metroguide North America, which I found at REI.com for $85 after using a 15% coupon I found. I love this program! The maps have been very detailed and the address search kicks butt. As you enter in the info, it starts coming up with the possibilities based on, I think, your current location.

Usually all I have to enter is the house number, the just 3 to 5 letters of the street name and it's already figured out where I want to go and shows the possible matches at the bottom...SLICK! For example, I had to go to the UPS distribution center in Eagen, which is on something like Opperman Drive. I entered in just "522 Opp" and at the bottom it showed the full address to where I was going.

Next I need to get the Topo software.
TimbreWlf
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try running a small keyring through the lanyard hook on the back, and then you can use just about anything. I would recommend using an identification badge lanyard - one that has a quick release type closure so you don't hang yourself - these can be found in the wierdest places. Look in the luggage department of most stores, they'll have an ID or passport holder with some kind of lanyard. Just remember safety, you WILL hook any kind of lanyard on trees and things in the woods.
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Well what do ya know... Reply with quote

I opened the box and there it is! It's pretty short for me though, with a size 18.5 neck. I'll try it but will probably end up trying to attach a small keyring as TimbreWlf suggests, then getting a longer lanyard. At least I have something to use for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: