MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Offset Caches

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Offset Caches Reply with quote

Quote:
Offset Caches

Offset caches are a variation on multi-caches. They are listed as a multi-cache when selecting a cache type. They are not found by simply going to some coordinates and finding a cache there. With the offset cache the published coordinates could be of an existing historical monument, plaque, or even a benchmark that you would like to have your cache hunter visit. At this spot, the hunter looks for numbers or information already appearing on the marker or on some part of the marker or site (geocachers NEVER deface public or private property). The geocacher is then able to manipulate these numbers using instructions posted on the cache page to continue the hunt.

The geocacher is then able to manipulate these numbers using instructions posted on the cache page to continue the hunt.

I admit that I have not "perfected" this plan, but I'm throwing it out there for discussion.

Another recent unfortunate incident (to me) indicates continued activities by certain individual(s). I have used MOC in the past. I am planning a variation of this, in the future:

EVERY cache will be offset, meaning
Quote:
They are not found by simply going to some coordinates and finding a cache there
There will be a standard adjustment to the coordinates, available from me via e-mail.
Quote:
The geocacher is then able to manipulate these numbers using instructions posted on the cache page to continue the hunt.

Comments?
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that a cacher should be required to e-mail someone and get a reply in order to get enough information to find the cache.

My $0.02. I'm interested in hearing other opinions.

-Aaron
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that every cache will have the same offset?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:

That would make the most sense especially for KB as he would be responding to SO many different emails.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:

Moe may have read it more accurately than I did. If that's the case - it would be an interesting experiment. If it fails though, you're worse off. As not only would people that are malicious would have the "offset," the regular noobie cachers would not be able to do your caches.

-Aaron
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes, and in some way the title will indicate that.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not fully clear on the concept. Does this mean a cacher would be required to go to the listed coordinates, get info there, then email KB to get the final coords, then hunt the cache? Or does it mean requesting the coords for each cache ahead of time? Or does it mean KB would email the cacher the adjustment to make for all his caches (for example, adding .050 to each coordinate)?
I can certainly understand the desire to protect caches from vandalism, and I don't know if I have any solution to the problem.
One obvious drawback from the cacher's perspective is not being able to hunt a cache on short notice.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it seems KB would have a predetermined offset for all of his caches. Add .196 or something to all the coords. It would be confusing during rollovers (.999 + .196) and for newbies.

There isn't any solution to the problem other than closely tracking who is looking at your cache pages. For the majority of cache owners this is taken care of by having them as MOC caches. There are other ways but they need not be discussed here.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
does it mean KB would email the cacher the adjustment to make for all his caches (for example, adding .050 to each coordinate)?

Yes, whatever the magic number is, it would apply to all in same "series"

One verification e-mail is all it takes. Is it perfect? Of course not, and it may not even get approved. Although I had an offset cache approved previously that was more complicated than this idea.

The ONLY purpose is to avoid MOC designation.

Downside: Eventually the wrong person would find out anyway.

Quote:
It would be confusing during rollovers (.999 + .196)

That wouldn't be an issue.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One obvious drawback from the cacher's perspective is not being able to hunt a cache on short notice.

Only the first one, maybe.
Scout
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Offset Caches Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
There will be a standard adjustment to the coordinates, available from me via e-mail.

I suggest you require people contact you via the listing site's own member-to-member contact service. That way, you will have the username of everyone who knows the coordinates of your caches without resorting to MOCs and without forcing other players to reveal their email addresses to you.

Upside: The casual vandal will probably not be able to find your caches, which I take it is the goal.

Downsides: The scheme is a pain, for you and legitimate cache hunters. It messes up services like mapping and searches on closest caches and hitchhiker distance measurements and automatic download of coordinates into your GPS receiver, etc., etc. And it doesn't prevent a person bent on mischief from setting up a phony account just to get information from you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: