MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lester Park Bash - 4 June 2005
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Team Hooligan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew reading the posts would be a bad idea. I'm going to miss seeing all of you guys this weekend. Especially the Moga group. However, the Boundary Waters is calling! Hate to miss a new Ibcrashen night cache, we had such a great time at the last one. Hope you can find your way SB without my help. Laughing

Haven't been caching much lately, in fact I feel like I haven't found a cache in more than 400 days! Embarassed

Have fun all of you.

Team Hooligan.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn and I was beliving the rumors that you found a cache last month. Guess I was sadly informed. Better luck before you in the half century mark. The MOGA gang just may have to go in together and place an easy cache just for you. Laughing
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone heard what the weather is supposed to be like up there on Saturday? I'm considering driving up (no camping, lucky me I get to work late Friday evening) For the day, but I'd rather not if it's going to be miserable outside.
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now its scattered T-storms. High 67
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wunderground.com/US/MN/Duluth.html

Quote:
Saturday
Partly cloudy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs 65 to 70...cooler near the lake. South winds 5 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent.

-Aaron
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI it looks like my night cache is taking over 2 hours to do. Guinea pig, I mean Pearhead had a little trouble last night on it but is back at it now. He is behind the group of EskocCimber,MNflyer, DLHCacher, and Stuntman7. I knew they were up there and couldnt resist a little hasseling. I had to leave because they were threatening to throw rocks at me in frustration. Twisted Evil But it looks like they had it licked.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBcrashen wrote:
I knew they were up there and couldnt resist a little hasseling. I had to leave because they were threatening to throw rocks at me in frustration. Twisted Evil But it looks like they had it licked.

I had it on my watchlist and thoroughly enjoyed reading their logs. I'm looking forward to it Smile Smile Smile

I won't throw rocks but I will curse your name! Smile
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the car is 99% packed and we are 110% ready Smile Making a stop up at the new cache along 35 on the way and then straight to the campground.

We're setting up camp, meeting up w/Oneied Cooky and Mr. Bill then heading out to do some caching in the area. I would like to get to log the event as a milestone. Woot.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there Smile Have a safe trip.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are getting ready to leave Bagley- will head sraight to Spt. MT. See you all soon-
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pokeboy and I are pulling out around 9:30. Going to cache on the way up and stop in Duluth for some game time before hitting the campground. See everyone there.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished up preparations yesterday.

We've hidden 20 objects in the park to find... a combination between punches, a few traditional caches and 4 multi caches. In addition, there's 3 great permanent caches in the park, and 2 or 3 within walking distance of the park.

Either way, the park is beautiful, and if you don't even care to find anything, you'll enjoy seeing the park and chatting with other geocachers.

We have about $130 worth of raffle prizes, most of which are donations from the City of Duluth Park and Recreation Department and the MnGCA.

Weather has been great. Looks like camping in the evening might get a bit of rain, but it looks like during the event the weather should be great.

I am pumped to do the night caches near the campground as well (even though I've already done one of them!).

Can't wait to see everyone up here!

-Aaron
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. well I'll try and make the trek up there tomorrow. Wish I could be camping, but that just ain't going to work. Sounds like it'll be a fun day though.
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you didn't catch it..we can now legally access Dark Passage:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5db9132c-f2a5-4795-8e32-91892e540d5c

Last year, our "shortcut" was eliminated due to the new owner that didn't want the public going thru his land.

Article on the newest addition to the Superior Hiking Trail:

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/sports/outdoors/11757807.htm

Park in the lot according to the cache listing, but you need to walk about 1/4 mile further up the Munger Trail (east) than where the old trail was.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBcrashen wrote:
Just FYI it looks like my night cache is taking over 2 hours to do. Guinea pig, I mean Pearhead had a little trouble last night on it but is back at it now. He is behind the group of EskocCimber,MNflyer, DLHCacher, and Stuntman7. I knew they were up there and couldnt resist a little hasseling. I had to leave because they were threatening to throw rocks at me in frustration. Twisted Evil But it looks like they had it licked.

Good thing you were gone when I finished then... I was able to find the next container without any problem at all (maybe two minutes instead of 20+ Razz ), but ran into the group about 150' from the final on their way out (and my way in).

EXCELLENT cache. This is a tough one - I think I had around 3 hours invested.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow Up:

Thanks again everyone for coming out! It's great reading everyone's logs... and I can't say enough thanks to everyone that helped out and donated to the event...

Anyway... picked up all the items this morning (fireoak came later and helped with a few as well)... but was unable to find Bridgeview Box (N46 50.936' W092 00.318'). Perhaps it's in Lake Superior now, but if you're in the area and want to wander around the park sometime and find it (if it's there), you get 50,000 bonus points. I don't like DNFing my own caches!

Here's the top finishers from the Punch-Out Challenge:

6 - 2h28m - joe tulips - Titonka, IA
6 - 2h29m - EskoClimber - Esko, MN
6 - 2h38m - Early Starts - Ham Lake, MN
6 - 2h45m - Proton - Embarrass, MN
6 - 2h45m - Proton3D - Embarrass, MN
6 - 2h49m - fireoak - Duluth, MN
6 - 2h49m - KC0GRN - Saint Paul, MN
5 - Pear Head - Duluth, MN
4 - Jillibean - Saint Paul, MN
4 - MNFlyers - Duluth, MN
4 - MSea - Duluth, MN
4 - towlebooth - Saint Paul, MN

Another interesting bit about the event: Almost exactly half of the participants were from the Duluth and surrounding areas. The other half were from the rest of Minnesota, Iowa and Missouri.

I had a lot of fun. Thanks for coming out.

-Aaron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: