MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SNF caches

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: SNF caches Reply with quote

Picked up my email today and had a message from the LaCroix District Ranger asking me to spread the word to all geocachers that a permit must be applied for before a cache is placed in the SNF. (SUPERIOR NATIONAL FOREST). I know that this has been discussed on this board before, but I was asked to do this and so I am. The Kawishiwi District has been monitoring caches for several years and now the LaCroix district is doing the same. Please respect their rules so we can continue to have caches as now they are very cache friendly if the rules are followed.
Here is part of the email-

"In addition, we would also appreciate it if you could spread the word in
the northern MN geocaching community that a permit is needed from the
responsible Ranger District for a geocache. I found geocaches on the
website that were placed near the Echo Lake Campground (towlebooth) and
Vermilion Falls (Team Beeblebrox), neither has filed a registration form
with our office. Each Ranger District has a responsibility to monitor and
keep track of this recreational activity on federal lands and therefore the
need for the registration forms."

Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: SNF caches Reply with quote

SNF wrote:
In addition, we would also appreciate it if you could spread the word in
the northern MN geocaching community that a permit is needed from the
responsible Ranger District for a geocache. I found geocaches on the
website that were placed near the Echo Lake Campground (towlebooth) and
Vermilion Falls (Team Beeblebrox), neither has filed a registration form
with our office. Each Ranger District has a responsibility to monitor and
keep track of this recreational activity on federal lands and therefore the
need for the registration forms."

I've visited both caches (and enjoyed them). Echo Lake was my 700th find.

What's interesting here is that towlebooth says on the cache page that it is a registered cache. This seems like it would be something that he would want to clear up with them, if nothing other than for relations with the SNF.

I'm not sure on the Team Beeblebrox cache.. I see that they haven't been to gc.com since around Nov of '04 and I didn't see them in the memberlist on the forum. I am going to send them a copy of this thread along with an email to make them at least aware of the cache and the rules surrounding it.

- Pear Head

Last edited by Pear Head on Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may also be a good time to give out the SNF geocaching link.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update eagleyes! I moved this topic to the proper forum.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: SNF caches Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:

What's interesting here is that towlebooth says on the cache page that it is a registered cache. This seems like it would be something that he would want to clear up with them, if nothing other than for relations with the SNF.

I absolutely had permission and still have a signed copy of my registration. In fact, I was the first to register with the park service and had been the one of the primary people notifying everyone about it. (with eagleyes and Centris)

http://www.mngca.org/hiding.php

http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=721&highlight=superior

I will disable the cache until this is straightned out. Either the paperwork was lost or they have a mandatory re-registration rule I'm not aware of.

I think I will keep it disabled until I can get up there and move it a bit -- been meaning to do that anyway.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Our take on this--- Reply with quote

The Bird Dog was thinking last night. His thought is that when the new people came into the postions at La Croix Ranger district and decided to delve into geocaching and see what was what, they decided to play by the book. If your cache was over a year old and you didnīt renew it, they tossed your permit. The rules do say that the permit for a cache is good for one year at which time it has to be renewed. Mine is in that process right now for FIRE AND ICE. At least those are his thoughts. Maybe they want to go look at the cache sites and assess an environmental impact before they renew the permit. That is just a guess. Maybe not true. įanother thought is that -look at your permit- it is the orginal or a copy_ I have copies for all of mine. Maybe the person who signed it at the time sent you back the only copy and didnīt keep one for their office.

They are new to this and I donīt think they are out to cause any problems-they just want to follow the rules- I know at the Kawishi district, being that we live in Ely I just go into the office with my copies and get them renewed each spring.

Just our thoughts. Should also say that being here in Mexico, I am at the mercy of odd computer systems. I sometimes donīt know what button I am pushing if the keyboard is a spanish one. So it happened that the post I sent which is now under park relations is the one I tried to delete and teh newer one that I sent under N. MN. is the one I wanted to send originally that is now locked. If you go and read it, you will see it is much more clear and also a contact name and info is given. I hope I am sending this as a reply to your post under park relations. IF not, maybe someone can move it. I am again at the mercy of a spanish system-
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to update everyone to let you know that I did receive a prompt reply from Team Beeblebrox. Curt said that he will follow up on registering.

- Pear Head
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: