MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Essential equipment for geocaching?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Essential equipment for geocaching? Reply with quote

this doesn't really belong in the "tech talk" forum, hence i'm introducing it here. apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.

while purchasing a couple of nice cache containers and cache treasures at the dollar store on saturday, i found an interesting device. it's a small device that's a little wider around but shorter than my pinkie. it's big enough to hold one AA battery, and it has a little clip on the end to attach this device to your belt loop or key chain.

it's a mosquito repellant device. this device gives off some sort of sound that i assume i won't hear, but mosquitos will. and this sound is supposed to repel them, allegedly. it's billed as an alternative to sprays and creams.

there were many of these at the dollar store. some were by a company i hand't heard of. the others were packaged by coleman, a name that is highly regarded in camping.

i bought one of the coleman devices, but i'm not sure what to expect. on the one hand, it's from coleman, so they wouldn't put their name on something if it wasn't a legitimate product. on the other hand, if this thing is so great, why haven't i heard of it before? why don't i know of anyone who has used it and raved about what a godsend the device is? why is it selling at the dollar store?

anybody have any thoughts or experiences to share?
ck
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Ha! Someone else has this device! One of my geocaching roommates is initially for California, and her family bought her one of these to deal with the hoardes of mosquitoes here. We've used it a couple of times with no discernable results (however, last year nothing was deminishing the on-slaught).

Personally, I think this is on par with "get-rich-quick" schemes, but maybe it'll work for you, who knows.
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sort of reminds me of another single battery operated device I bought at a dollar store, a tiny heater to melt frozen car door locks. Needless to say, it failed miserably. It fell apart before even being able to be put to the test. That's enough of a failure for me. This mosquito control device almost sounds too good to be true, and you know what they say about that.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, one of the dollar stores (and the cleanest and classiest) is a one-stop shop for cache logging necessities.

Dollar Tree has these items for (Heh) $1.00 per pkg:

[list=]Spiral notebooks, 3 pack
#2 pencils, 24 pack
pencil sharpeners, 20 pack
zipper baggies, various
[/list]
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
anybody have any thoughts or experiences to share?

Had one from Coleman. Used it at Isle Royale National Park. Got eaten alive.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe in Ultrasonic Technology which can deter pests such as insects, bats, mice and such. I however haven't heard great reviews for the little portable ones so far. I actually haven't tried one myself. On another note, when it comes to having an outlet nearby (110+) there are some excellent pest detterant devices on the market. I think they're in the ballpark of $15 - 20 or so. At my old apartment, we had a bat problem, and once we place one of them things in the hallway, there were no more bats to be found? (I actually didn't mind the bats because they are neat, and didn't really get in my way, but appearently the guy accross the hall was pretty shaken after getting buzzed a few times).

Poor Loon... Mosquitos get more press these days.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: They don't work .... Reply with quote

at least with our experience. We bought one many, many years ago - same with the devices of coiled plastic that you wear around your wrist-
pogopod
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a reason you found it at the Dollar Store.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only essential piece of equipment I have found I need besides my GPSr is my brain. Bugs be damned. Ivy be damned.
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice to see one of my old topics resurface. i have tried that dollar store device a few times. i'm not sure if it helps or not, especially when i used it in june, since there were millions of mosquitoes to be found. i guess if it was good it would have done wonders during the "trial by miles" cache.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
The only essential piece of equipment I have found I need besides my GPSr is my brain.

I would add good boots.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"towlebooth"
I would add good boots.

Why would you say good boots. Just ask Silent Bob. How long did he cache in the winter months with ratty tennis shoes?
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So today I rush to Fleet Farm, after looking at the Sunday ad. Ammo cans for $2.99 ? I'm there !

Personally inspect 30 cans, and pick out a dozen. I get up to the checkout and the cachier wants to look in each one. So as I'm emptying the cart, a guy comes up in line behind me:

"WHOA, are we going to war?"

I guess I'm gonna have to start using these soon, huh?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
Why would you say good boots. Just ask Silent Bob. How long did he cache in the winter months with ratty tennis shoes?

Umm, well, I suppose it depends on what you consider the winter months... I got boots in December.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall ......

they are not "RATTY"...and the snow was about 12 inches deep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: