MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

maps.google.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Early Starts
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: cool. Reply with quote

In addition to the basic features, Google Earth Plus includes:

GPS integration read tracks and waypoints from your GPS.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Streets and Trips is 2D and Google Earth is 3D?

What does this mean SB? When you zoom in, you can graphically see the terrain in 3D? I may have to take a closer look...

Quote:
GPS integration read tracks and waypoints from your GPS.

Eh; I got streets & trips doing this...
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaywc7 wrote:
What does this mean SB? When you zoom in, you can graphically see the terrain in 3D? I may have to take a closer look..

Yes, the point of Google Earth is to show 3D representations of buildings at a 45 degree angle. I haven't looked much past the quick overviews. Slashdot had a story about it today. You should be able to find more information here: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/06/28/1733229&tid=217&tid=95&tid=159
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played with it for about 15 minutes tonight while I had some free time. First off, it takes a good network connection (they say DSL/cable or better). Dial-up won't cut it.

Their 'browser' is about a 10mb install.

They don't show terrain in 3d (unless they do in some areas just not the ones I looked at). They do show buildings for major cities in 3d however. Pretty neat to play with but I didn't see much usablility beyond that.

I could see them adding 3d topo features in the future though.. That data is already out there in a digital format from NGS, it would just require some integrating.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BananaForce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
They don't show terrain in 3d (unless they do in some areas just not the ones I looked at). They do show buildings for major cities in 3d however. Pretty neat to play with but I didn't see much usablility beyond that.

They do. You just have to make sure you have the terrain option selected. Go the grand canyon or someplace big to test it. Much of MN is flat from the distance your eye is to the map.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anything like that near the Grand Canyon. Question I have the options to zoom in and out (but my mouse wheel does not work). I also have the option to change between "map" and "sattelite" only. I see no way to turn on or off the 3D terrain. The only other options I have is "print", "email" or "link". I also zoomed in on some cities, and see no representation of buildings what so ever. I can't find any other links, or options, or anything else then what I've found listed above.

Are you all still talking about this link? Arrow http://maps.google.com/
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaywc7 wrote:
I don't see anything like that near the Grand Canyon. Question I have the options to zoom in and out (but my mouse wheel does not work). I also have the option to change between "map" and "sattelite" only. I see no way to turn on or off the 3D terrain. The only other options I have is "print", "email" or "link". I also zoomed in on some cities, and see no representation of buildings what so ever. I can't find any other links, or options, or anything else then what I've found listed above.

Oh oh,,, I see now! The 3D is all under sattellite!!! I just didn't zoom in far enough on sattellite mode. That is pretty friggn' cool! I think I'll still be using S&T for directions and navigation, but I'll certainly be referencing images from google for my forums, and other discussions...

Sweeeeeeeet! Cool
BananaForce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaywc7 wrote:

Actually I was talking about http://earth.google.com/. Sorry for the confusion.

jaywc7 wrote:
Oh oh,,, I see now! The 3D is all under sattellite!!! I just didn't zoom in far enough on sattellite mode. That is pretty friggn' cool! I think I'll still be using S&T for directions and navigation, but I'll certainly be referencing images from google for my forums, and other discussions...

Sweeeeeeeet! Cool

I don't think the maps.google has the tilt function, which gives the cool 3D terrain display, but maybe I have missed it somewhere. Give earth.google a try and see if you see a difference. Smile
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - I'm waiting on the download. They must be out of stock... Wink

I'll check it out as soon as possible.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's a good one. Go to http://maps.google.com. First, click on "Sattellite". Then on the right side of the screen, click on "JFK to 350 5th ave, new york"... Now look closely at the river! Which bridge was that yer supposed to drive over? Laughing I'm guessing that the bridge was built after the satphoto was taken. Before I figured that out though, I was in utter amazement! Shocked
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google released the API.
http://www.google.com/apis/maps/
BananaForce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
Google released the API.
http://www.google.com/apis/maps/

Cool. I wish I had time to write something cool with that right now... but I don't... but I have thought of many things I would like to do.
GPSr
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm guessing that the bridge was built after the satphoto was taken. Before I figured that out though, I was in utter amazement!

If you switch back to the map function you'll see that the road goes under the river through the Queens Midtown Tunnel.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSr wrote:
Quote:
I'm guessing that the bridge was built after the satphoto was taken. Before I figured that out though, I was in utter amazement!

If you switch back to the map function you'll see that the road goes under the river through the Queens Midtown Tunnel.

Oooo... good call... I hadn't realized that. I liked it better when it didn't make sense. I thought there was a loophole. I guess the loophole is me. Laughing
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Funny you should post this Reply with quote

It's funny this topic came up as I was just coming here to post this:

I am on my way to mastering the art of using Google maps with
GeoCaching. Check out how I fused the LOC files from geocaching.com
with maps.google.com: Caches near my work. Note this is better viewed in
Firefox/Netscape as there is a stylesheet error in IE I haven't
figured out yet; and zoom out one or two times to get the full
effect. By doing this, I am able to now zoom into an area, and
switch to satellite view, which gives me a better view of the
surrounding terrain that I will be going into.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: