MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

World's most difficult cache?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: World's most difficult cache? Reply with quote

I've been perusing geocaching.com to find caches that are hidden in extremely unusual or difficult-to-get-to places. This one gets my vote for what has to be one of the world's most difficult caches:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6bd04271-7c8c-4565-aa5e-398b4fa817de

12,000 ft. up an *active* volcano in Antarctica... now, that's just nuts. At least they have the "skull and crossbones" attribute icon on the website!

Any others that strike you as being particularly difficult, in terms of terrain or access?
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Silent Bob, here's are chance to reprise and exceed our "Hanging by a Thread" adventure! Laughing
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of and seen a few.. seen that one, but I can't think of any others off the top of my head.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that the first stage of Silent Bob's On top of old Smoeky is a treaturous killer to be bourne only by the most experienced and fool hardy cachers! Rolling Eyes
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
TwentySeven
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: World's most difficult cache? Reply with quote

Buzzygirl wrote:

Any others that strike you as being particularly difficult, in terms of terrain or access?

Does going home after a "Get Sauced Event" count?! Rolling Eyes
GPSr
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 71 accounts watching Cone_Z. I released a travel bug a few months ago that want's to travel to Antarctica but so far it's only gone as far as Illinois. Very Happy
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always intrigued by "Earth, Wind, Fire, Water" (GCJJTP) but alas, it's temporarily unavailable until the owner can check stage 3. There's a link on that one to "Tube Torcher", another difficulty 5/5 cache that IS active if you want to check it out!

One I actually found that I enjoyed was "Amber's Revenge II" (GCHRB3) also sadly temporarily unvailable until the owner can fix it.

Below is a picture of me at the cache, taken on Bulletstop's camera phone. I'm sure some of the crazy cachers here have done more dangerous things, but I *detest* heights, the beam wasn't very wide, the structure was moving, and we didn't realize it was locked until AFTER we got out there - so needless to say, this one was quite memorable. Wink If you want a good laugh, check out my log (here) and have a good laugh at my expense! Have fun,

-Ken

Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yow! I don't like heights either. Doesn't matter if it's 12,000 feet up the side of a volcano or crawling up a bunch of tall steel columns, I ain't doing it unless I am wearing a safety harness.

I liked your log... I wouldn't say you were "stupid geocachers of the year", but I would say you were dedicated, and maybe a bit obsessed... the thing is, you did it and can say you did it!
EagleXplore
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzy,

I noticed you have yet to seek out the Barn Bywater cache at Red Wing (55066). If you would have attempted to get to this cache the first week in January you may have concluded that Barn Bywater was Minnesota's most difficult~dangerous cache. Especially, if you would have slipped and been stranded on the bluff for 26 hours before finally being rescued.

You should read the complete log. One thing you will notice if you should go this spring is that if you were to blindly follow your GPS waypoint (if s4xton doesn't correct) you would walk off the edge of the bluff. I'll have to check again, but it looks like someone recently deleted the log about the cache location being "treacherous for a 5 year old." If it were not for the hint this cache would definitely be at least 10 times more challenging and dangerous. I guess we all like a little Fear Factor challenge, but thankfully Kim gave a hint which has probably saved more than one person's life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: