MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Event Cache Guidelines
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#event

Event caches are gatherings for geocachers by geocachers to discuss geocaching. After the event has passed, the event cache is archived. While a music concert, a garage sale, a ham radio field day or an orienteering event might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the primary focus of these events is not geocaching and the primary attendees are not geocachers. In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

For geocaching events that involve several components, such as a day-long group cache hunt that also involves a seminar and dinner, only a single event cache covering all components should be submitted.

aaaaarggggggggghhhhhhhhhh

back to my Newcastle
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#event

This topic has been split off and moved Arrow here.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

No they aren't. I don't know the email address of everyone that might be interested, I also don't want random people emailing me out of the blue from the website if I don' t know them or if they don't have a reason to (ie my cache is broken or they would like a hint). Honestly, that could be considered "mass email" or spam. I also don't read the GC.com forums because they believe in unannounced censorship. They might have a problem with out caching...

So we have been doing our WeekNIGHT Caching events and they have been announced via the MNGCA forums. We usually end up with 4 or 5 people (which is fine) but the night that we had a Get Sauced Event posted to the GC.com page as an event we drew 25+.

Hmm, what works better? What gets geocachers more interested in attending a geocaching related event? Why would they want to stop that kind of activity?

mtn-man?
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://websports.8m.com/cache_bash.html

This has been edited from the previous submission; still not approved after five days. This additional info is on the unapproved page:

November 17 by King Boreas (336 found)
Major edit completed

November 4 by mtn-man (813 found)
Two things.
Events are not listed until 3 months prior to the event. I am holding this one for a little while longer.

I am not sure if this will pass to be honest. We are reworking the guidelines for events right now. I will let you know before the 11th of October. he meant November

November 1 by King Boreas (336 found)
In both prior years, geocachers have done a great job discussing all aspects of geocaching. We have several people who have become involved, due to this event.

October 24 by King Boreas (336 found)
As in years past, the location is not known until several days prior to the event. However, it is well publicized by Twin Cities media, and anyone interested will know where the location will be. The cache page will be updated ASAP. Nobody has been confused in the past.

click on the links for the two previous winter events. check out the number of people who went 'caching in the snow. read the logs. tell me what's wrong with this please[/i]
JT
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we could put on a geocaching 101 seminar to "discuss geocaching" this would allow us to try and convert medallion hunters to geocachers Smile Plus make it a legit event.

Just a thought... I would be willing to put something together for such an event.

-J.T.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with K.B. on this one....

Its kinda like "rush week" with a fraternity house. Its a chance to "show" a few others what its like before they want to become a member.

Not many people just want to go out an buy a gps and try it on their own.
This is a great event to promote geocaching in our state to potential people. Too bad under new rules this might not be an event.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe we could put on a geocaching 101 seminar to "discuss geocaching" this would allow us to try and convert medallion hunters to geocachers Plus make it a legit event.

Quote:
The Minnesota Geocaching Association (MnGCA) is a group of Minnesota geocachers who are committed to promoting safe, responsible, and environmentally friendly geocaching. We welcome the involvement and cooperation of park management and government to work with us to develop this activity to benefit both geocachers and parks. The MnGCA also provides a way for people to come together to organize regional activities and events that will promote the credibility of the sport and bring families together in nature and technology.

I guess there's really nothing in there about attracting new participants. I assume that is an Association goal. Is there any chance of an official MnGCA geocaching event for newbies. This is the third winter I've been out there stirring up interest, and now the national guidelines are changed. I can't get an event approved that attracts new members? Not that I'm against it, but how in the heck does a dog event get approved, seemingly almost immediately?

Buzzygirl and Kitch can read the posts. That's not even half. Yesterday all I talked about was 'caching. It's very discouraging.

This post may be moved, edited, deleted, whatever. I had to try one more time.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Is there any chance of an official MnGCA geocaching event for newbies. This is the third winter I've been out there stirring up interest, and now the national guidelines are changed. I can't get an event approved that attracts new members? Not that I'm against it, but how in the heck does a dog event get approved, seemingly almost immediately?

Does mtn-man give you any reasons why he won't approve it? Is it because they aren't geocachers YET and that the event is mostly for attempting to attract Medallion Hunters?

While I agree that a Geocaching 101 Event is a great idea and would further the goals of the organization I don't see why an individual cannot host that event, especially one with deep rooted links to a similiar organization.

Maybe an official GSP reprsentative could shed more light on this subject.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just give the waypoint # for your archived cache. Everybody gets credit.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

November 4, 2004 by mtn-man (842 found)
Two things.
Events are not listed until 3 months prior to the event. I am holding this one for a little while longer.

I am not sure if this will pass to be honest. We are reworking the guidelines for events right now. I will let you know before the 11th of October.

Never heard another word. Afew weeks later I changed it to a CITO, no response, so I withdrew it. It is now the Cooler Crew Chicks: Buzzygirl cache which is in limbo. I think it got "lost"

I'm not trying to cause any friction with mtn-man, but it %*$@)
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
I'm not trying to cause any friction with mtn-man, but it %*$@)

Well, does anyone want to be our gc.com approver?
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
Just give the waypoint # for your archived cache. Everybody gets credit.

I realy dislike this option. KB did this once in the past to a cache I was one of the few, if not only, finders of. All of a sudden the cache showed all kinds of finders. Kind of spoiled it for me.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I realy dislike this option. KB did this once in the past to a cache I was one of the few, if not only, finders of. All of a sudden the cache showed all kinds of finders. Kind of spoiled it for me.

and I apologize for that. There were a couple backdoor options I could have used, but I'm trying to follow the rules on everything. I've archived some caches, not because I had to, but because of conflicts.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... and the beat goes on ... drums keep poundin' a rhythm ...

10 new caches up, mine's still in limbo

It's now withdrawn, and re-submitted with a new waypoint.

I know ... whine whine whine
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
4a. Any member who attends 4 consecutive events, with the final event being a "geo-doggie" type, shall earn the title Party Hound.

What's up with that?

Kitch ?
KC0GRN ?

Congrats guys !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: