MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does your Garmin Legend do this?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Does your Garmin Legend do this? Reply with quote

Sometimes while out geocaching, my Garmin Legend will just shut off completely. The batteries are fine and no memory is lost. This only happens once every few times I use it. I use rechargeable Ni-Cad batteries now but it has done it when I was using Energizer Max before. It's under a bought warranty so I will have to exchange it sometime in the next two years.
ck
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this has happened to me and my Garmin Etrex. I'll be on my way to a cache, look down, and it will be off. I don' tknow if there is a timer shut off on it, but it seems to boot up and find satilites quickly when I turn it back on. Just a minor inconvenience.

I had thought I was the only one to have this issue. Sorry, I don't have any solutions for you (or us) though!
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have good solid contact with the batteries? Any chance that contact is momentarily being broken when bumping the unit?
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought was that I was losing contact with the batteries momentarily and that would surely shut it off. Why I don't think it was that is it will do it when I'm just holding it in my hands or sitting on my car seat. I have actually tried bumping it to make it turn off to see if that was the problem but nothing happened, it stays on. I would have hoped it was designed as to not allow that to happen so I put that theory aside. I checked the compartment and everything appears to be tight so I may just have to live with it until 1 year 11 months go by and exchange it under my 2 year warranty!
EelSid
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: GPS shutting off Reply with quote

I have the exact same problem with my Garmin GPS V. It only happens with NIMH batteries, they are slightly smaller than regular alkaline and you can feel them wobble when you put them in, which you cannot feel with alkaline. I figure it must be the loose connection that is doing it, pulling the springs out farther so the batteries have less wobble seems to have fixed it.
kleiner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens to both my cell phone and gps. Just have to keep the contacts clean and adjust the tension and they are much better. A little alcohol cleans them nicely. JK
jonsom
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been to the Garmin website and updated the latest info? Usually they have fixed previous problems.
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have the most recent program for it. I "discovered" it after using my Garmin for almost 4 months. I was on the forums on geoaching.com and read something about downloading the most recent programs and so I did it. Only difference I noticed were the ability to select which type battery you had and that the arrow on the navigation screen was smaller so you can see the head of the arrow better. About the turning off problem, I will try all the suggestions posted. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
mrmnmikey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this was posted in 2003, but I'm having some of the same issues with my Legend cx. My problems started when I mounted it on my ATV with the garmin handle bar mount. The batteries seem tight but everytime I hit a hard bump the unit shuts off. Are these units that sensitive that they don't work for ATV purposes? Could it be my card shaking loose? Am I just stuck with it now that my warranty is over?
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your warranty may be over, but I would still contact Garmin and ask them about the problem. They will still help you and at least answer some of your questions.

There may be a repair fee, but it still may be a lot less then buying a new unit.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
Your warranty may be over, but I would still contact Garmin and ask them about the problem. They will still help you and at least answer some of your questions.

There may be a repair fee, but it still may be a lot less then buying a new unit.

I've been happy with Garmin so far. Even if you're unit is out of warranty, in the worst case you can usually exchange it for a refurbished unit for a relatively small (compared to a new unit) fee. The fee depends on the unit you have (some are worth more than others).

I would also suggest contacting Garmin though first - they may have an easy answer for you.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happens to my GPSMAP 60CSx about once a month. Haven't figured what I should do about it since there seems to be no pattern.
former hawkeye
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem with my Legend too-and Garmin found a faulty contact inside the gps. Got a new machine and and extra plug in for my car to boot. I was very happy with the customer service.
mrmnmikey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I did a little searching on garmins site and the flat rate repair is $150. So if it keeps up I'll at least get a refurbished for that price. It does seem to be a contact problem because I have had it shut off by mearly pushing the joystick button.
Thanks for all the great responses to my question.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find an old garmin for little or nothing with a broken screen or other issue that you could take your two garmins and make 1 with.

I would check e-bay or maybe someone here has a gps for "parts"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: