MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Was it something I said?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Was it something I said? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some feedback here, since I've really never belonged to a group before where I was interested in posting on an online forum. Straight off, I am not posting this to criticize, offend, annoy, or otherwise harass anyone, I'm honestly seeking guidance and information.

I recently posted on the Cartaker/Caregiver? thread - it was in response to a post by Herrwald, involving something he and I talked about Saturday morning at Breakfast Buddies. Shortly after I posted, the following was posted:

"I see issues as to why this thread will be locked.....
I would highly suggest ALL users of MNGCA forum take a deep look at provokinging comments towards other users."

Then the thread was locked.

Now, I commend the moderators for their restraint lately - they and some of the members of the board have put up with a LOT more than they needed to before locking out some of the recent topics (including personal attacks and insults). Here's my dilemma - in contrast, I thought my comment was pretty tame and made in the spirit of fun, yet it was locked out right away. So, I guess what I'm looking for is some guidance on what is and is not considered a "flame" on the forums. It's not like I'll be posting all the time, that's really not my style, but as a newbie I'd appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

Some make take this as sour grapes - it's not meant that way, and I'm trying not to whine (there's no whining in geocaching!). But I do welcome any and all comments, criticisms, digs - whatever ya got, bring em on! Thanks in advance. jambro
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's safe to blame Kitch.

Everybody else does . . .
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't think it was anything you said. I believe that it is more of a preemptive move by the admins knowing what was going to happen based upon this individuals comments. It would have been locked either way.

but then "I Blame Kitch" as well.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - all Kitch. This is something we can all agree on! Laughing
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

towlebooth wrote:
Yep - all Kitch. This is something we can all agree on! Laughing

I blame Kitch for me having to blame Kitch.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This brings up a related point I've been thinking about. Over the last few weeks a number of threads have been locked because of posts which were considered to be flames by some, but not all, of us. Some of those posts expressed thoughts which many of us felt were worth expressing. Also, locking a thread prevents any further legitimate discussion on that thread. One could always simply start a new thread on the same topic, but that would risk a lockout as well.
That said, I still think the MnGCA board should have absolute authority to lock out whatever they feel is inappropriate use of the forum. Furthermore, I don't feel they need to give a reason for doing so. We have put them in charge of running this forum the way they see fit and that's good enough for me.
The next question is, if a lockout has occurred how does one go about telling off someone who, in one's opinion, needs to be told off? Or responding to a post perceived to be unfair or inaccurate? Private messages are really no different from posts except that only one person reads them. So the board should rightfully have the authority to regulate messages sent via this forum. I believe geocaching.com has a similar policy covering email sent via their web site. That pretty much leaves us with direct email, telephone and the US Postal Service, and if none of those is available we have no avenue for expression.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
Private messages are really no different from posts except that only one person reads them. So the board should rightfully have the authority to regulate messages sent via this forum. I believe geocaching.com has a similar policy covering email sent via their web site.

We cannot see what goes on in the private messaging system unless we receive a copy of the messages from the sender/receiver.

Honestly it is probably best to keep your flames off of the forum system and out of our control.
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to jambro's qustion, a flame is an insult, series of insults or an attack on a person or group of people. In this case it was probably nothing you said, (though I haven't been back to see what you said), it was likely just the direction things were going any way.

Our moderators may appear to be watching the forums 24/7, but they actually do take the occasional break so that they may appear to be productive at work. Laughing Therefore, several posts maybe made before the thread gets locked.

Now, please feel free to join me in blaming Kitch.
Why, because he's cute, in a cuddly sort of way. Wink

Livrbird of Team Wicket, aka WWPP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, then, I'll join with everyone else and blame Kitch!
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I slipped and fell trying for a two stage cache at a SD state park on Saturday night. I just about fell off a 20' drop into a creek. I think it was kitch's fault that I slipped. I KNOW it would have been his fault if I had gotten hurt!
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looking at spinowner's reply, I have no argument with the fact that the moderator's have absolute control over content and control with the threads on our forums. As I stated previously, I think the moderators have shown extreme restraint the past couple weeks, and my hat's off to them. My idea behind starting this topic was for me to learn what is considered "lockoutable" (is that a word? if not I blame Kitch) and what is not. I guess my reply to herrwald on that thread might have been better placed in an email directly to him. It was there, I saw it, and I took the shot.

I truly appreciate all the replies, and the fact that I haven't been ripped yet!
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=64037

The ONLY official way to blame Kitch, is via the above link. Then it is delivered to his mailbox. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KB - can I blame Kitch for not knowing how to blame Kitch?? Just asking...
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jambro wrote:
Thanks KB - can I blame Kitch for not knowing how to blame Kitch?? Just asking...

I blame Kitch for you wanting to blame Kitch but not knowing how to blame Kitch. Smile
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB's last statement was almost too confusing.

Obviously I'm going to blame Kitch though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: