MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gw4 Hosting Invitation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rouster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Gw4 Hosting Invitation Reply with quote

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=100085

Do we stand a chance?

Looks like the previous events have been held in State Parks. Not feasable in MN.

What about an event co-hosted by MnGCA and WGA to be held in Western Wisconsin? Lots of talent and experience to go around!

Events have always taken second or third place behind my family, but if I could plan months ahead for this, I can always say 'not that weekend'.

Let's show MN State Parks (DNR) what we can do!
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, by co-hosting an event at another State's park we would show the MN DNR nothing more than they already know. SLAGA hosted a large event for numerous in-state and out-of-state participants raising quite a bit of money for a park system that already openly caters to the geocaching crowd. The WGA has also shown on several occasions that they can draw 100+ (200+?) people to their state parks for large geocaching events. I have a feeling that the Midwest Geobash will also show them something similar...

This weekend we showed the MN DNR that city parks that support geocaching and privately owned campgrounds can make more money from geocaching than they can by working with the MnGCA in an open manner, see the Duluth Parks and Rec geocaching policy at http://mngca.org/duluth.php

To me we showed the MN DNR more this weekend in Duluth than we ever could by hosting an event out of state.
Rouster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
What, by co-hosting an event at another State's park we would show the MN DNR nothing more than they already know...

To me we showed the MN DNR more this weekend in Duluth than we ever could by hosting an event out of state.

Looks like it was a lot of fun in Duluth.

There's a lot of competition in the tourism industry. I don't think the MN DNR competes with Florida, but they do with Wisconsin, as well as city and county parks here in MN. Several members have stated that they have boycotted MN State Parks. Would a city/county park, or even a State Forest, have the same draw, Nationwide, as a State Park? I doubt it.

Any chance we could show them what they don't know?
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rouster wrote:

Any chance we could show them what they don't know?

You bet! But we need some help if we are going to get them to take a serious look-see. We also need to find out who inside is not only not opposed/sympathetic, but also who inside might speak on our behalf.

If MNGCA want's to pursue it, I could ask some quiet questions and report back.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/11730056.htm
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MnGCA Board takes member suggestions seriously and we discussed this idea at length. We have firmly decided that we are not interested in perusing involvement with GeoWoodstock IV for the following reasons:

* It would have little, no, or a negative effect on our relationship with the Minnesota DNR.

* We are not interested in making a joint event with WGA at this time. We also do not know if they would even be interested in doing one with us.

* There is already way too much politics concerning the organization of this event (see Groundspeak Forums thread).

* We do not have the resources available at this time to put on an event of this scale.

-Aaron
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron (and board),

I believe the choice you made was a good one (for the reasons stated).

Although the Minnesota geocachers are starting to become a more close-knit group, I think there is still room for improvement there. Events like the Lester Park Bash, the campout in Eveleth last fall, etc, all help. I'd like to see the organization continue to focus on items such as these.

I would be interested in attending a weekend event in southern MN if the dates worked out right.......
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: