MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Raising the Geocaching Bar In Minnesota (cont.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EagleXplore
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Raising the Geocaching Bar In Minnesota (cont.) Reply with quote

I wonder how many other geocaches like "Barn Byewater" began with good intentions and then the owner lost interest in actively pursuing the sport of geocaching and even sells their GPS???

I'll be placing (if everything clicks at geocache.com) my first geocache (multistage) within the next three weeks. I've put more time, energy and expense into this cache than you could possibly believe. It may likely be the only metro geocache I'll ever place~unless this one has to be archived for some future reason.

I am taking the time to do everything first class and then some (110%). It will blow some of you away with my idea of "Raising the Geocaching Bar In Minnesota" if I should be fortunate enough to have it listed at www.geocaching.com. and should you ever add my first cache site to one of your finds. The actual cache will have some eXtremely NICE~NEAT~AWESOME touches and treasures. You will not need to replace an item with an item. Any items found that are junky will be removed. I will watch over my geocache like a mother hen over her chicks. The location will be unique. The log book will be first-class.

To me the motto of geocaching should be ~ Quality is Number One. My goal is to never have more than ONE cache placed in the greater Twin Cities metro area at any one time. Therefore, I can devote my undivided attention to seeing that it is one of the best maintained geocaches in the metro area w/quality treasures, and one of the more enjoyable and challenging treasure hunt adventures that a geocaching family will remember. What's the BIG deal about running around (shop until you drop) trying to find 10 2nd-rate or 15 3rd-rate caches all in one day just to increase your overall cache tally.

What if each of us had only a few cache sites? ~~~ caches that we took eXtreme pride in showcasing as the very best eXample of the sport of geocaching.
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EagleXplore, I do applaud your intentions and some of what you wrote - any time a well thought-out cache is placed, we *all* benefit from that.

I would say, however, that everyone caches for different reasons. Some will enjoy a truly difficult and rewarding treasure hunt, but consider this: I often cache with my 2- and 3-yr old children. To them, the "big deal" is that they can find the cache themselves, and find McToys inside...that's their treasure! To them, the more caches in a day the merrier. I suspect this is exactly the kind of cache you've labeled as "2nd or 3rd rate".

All I'm trying to say is, what you consider a 2nd or 3rd rate cache might very well be another person's *perfect* cache. Or also consider that a first-time cacher might very well become frustrated while trying to solve your multi-cache, and quit the sport entirely without ever seeing a showcase of the best example of geocaching.

What clearly motivates you is the quality and challenge of the hunt, and that's commendable - but it's not fair to assume that anyone that hunts for a different reason (like numbers, for example) is LESS of a cacher, or that easy-to-find caches are of a LESSER quality than the rest, and that's kind of how your message came across to me. I'd rather have more caches there to "pick" from, and if it doesn't look like one I'd enjoy, then I don't have to go find it, right?

I personally am looking forward to seeing your new cache, I think the intent behind it sounds great - thanks!

-Ken
EagleXplore
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

Thanks for your eXcellent reply. As a boat rocker I would like you all to think of me more along the vein of a positive change agent. During winter snow storms lively debates can help to maintain a fresh flow of oXygenated blood to our stoic Swedish cerebral corteXes.

I'd be the first to admit that I'm a geocaching Newbie; however, I find that the caches I've discovered so far could benefit from a 'better presentation' as a treasure trove that would truly eXcite a young child. My first multi-stage treasure hunt is not for girly men families or a family that includes a cry baby. On the other hand it will have some interesting aspects that will eXcite a young child. It will be the kind of challenging treasure hunt that will provide a variety of challenges to eXcite both the elementary school child, an Eagle Scout and Dad. However, it is not going to be a joy ride for a Mom with a pre-schooler that should mistakenly decide to tag along.

All I'm really saying is that my first eXposure to geocaching is an eye-opener to the simple fact that there is room for improvement in the presentation of the geocache and the log books. Knowing this the final treasure should be a real pleasure. This should inspire the geocacher to approach the hunt with a certain level of committment rather than bing bang, and then on to the neXt tupperware treasure.
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I've put more time, energy and expense into this cache than you could possibly believe.

January 14 by EagleXplore (4 found)
Quote:
...(never owned or used a GPS before yesterday).

Excuse me, but I think these two statements contradict each other.
I myself have spent months on the idea for a cache, never mind a couple weeks of driving around for the location, or manufacturing cache containers that never got used.
I’m sure I’m not the only one.
It seems to me like you’re coming in here and acting like we’re the newbies.

That said, I’d like to add that many of us are looking forward to your caches.....we’re no dummies....we like history, and you seem very knowledgeable.

I hope your caches do “raise the bar.” Go for it.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Raising the Geocaching Bar In Minnesota (cont.) Reply with quote

EagleXplore wrote:
What's the BIG deal about running around (shop until you drop) trying to find 10 2nd-rate or 15 3rd-rate caches all in one day just to increase your overall cache tally.

It's something to do. They are out there and they need to be found. I have hidden some caches that I have spent countless hours preparing and placing and people just don't go and find them. From my experience if the cache is more than 500 feet from car to cache, is multi-staged, and is south of the river not many people seem interested in finding it.

I have no problems in driving great distances to do caches but I rarely make a trip to do one or two caches. It's obvious that other people share my stance and that's likely why they don't want to invest 1+ hours in finding one of my multis.

I enjoy being surprised when I do a cache that I find to be excellent. It's a rare occasion when I will openly admit that I seriously enjoyed a cache. If you put one out there that is as amazing as you claim I'd be honored to do it.

Just remember that some people's vision of amazing doesn't necessarily mean great trade items, a great location, or an awesome theme. Every cacher is different and there are caches out there for everyone.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dachebo wrote:
January 14 by EagleXplore (4 found)

Actually he's found 14 as of yesterday: http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default.aspx?guid=e2c89c8b-2544-49e5-9231-1fafcfc08df9

But that doesn't detract from what you are saying... Especially when he's found only one multi.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EagleXplore,
You seem as though you have so many ideas that you just can't help letting them bust out all over. The thing is, for me and many other cachers part of the lure of geocaching is discovery. Finding something hidden is part of it but it's also getting out there and being surprised by how a cache is put together. By broadcasting all these ideas you're spoiling the surprise! Believe me when I say that word gets around when a cache is great. If you hide it they will come.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All I'm really saying is that my first eXposure to geocaching is an eye-opener to the simple fact that there is room for improvement in the presentation of the geocache and the log books.

As you do more geocaches, you will learn who's caches fit your bill and who's do not. Some people won't search for any of my caches, some people look forward to them. The game shouldn't be tailored to one specific taste. If you have a certain type of cache you enjoy, ask around and you may get some recommendations. That might increase your enjoyment of the game while minimizing the time you spend looking for caches that end up disappointing you.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
EagleXplore
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silent Bob,

Please tell me the name of one of your multi-stages that you consider to have a 'good presentation' that is good family fun with good treasure. I will make it my neXt treasure hunt. Better yet give me two or three names.

I have by no means let the cat out of the bag on any of my cache site locations ~ not even close.
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I’m really restraining myself here.... Now you’re, asking for 2 or 3
Quote:
“multi-stages that you consider to have a 'good presentation' that is good family fun with good treasure”

Family fun is good, but can you guarantee it?....as for good presentation, and good treasure.....it isn’t always about that...... there’s more to geocaching than finding things in a cache....there is the thrill of the hunt, you enjoy the getting there because in a sense you're already there....the whole thing is an adventure.
I’ve done a couple of Bob’s caches, and bragged about them both..... he doesn’t have to defend his caches, because of ‘visions’ you’re having about yours.
Lighten up....go place some caches, have fun and learn as you go.....I’m sure we’ll have fun finding them....
If you want to "raise the bar" just do it..... “Let the caches speak for themselves.”
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use what talent you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best.
- Henry van Dyke
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok mister eaglexplora, now I have to vent.
Firstly I shold point out that I have done the north trail of barn bluff, and enjoyed it througly. I'm no whimp.
With 14 caches found, you have insulted many a good cache that you haven't found yet, in your comments about how yours will be so superior.
I suggest that you look back through the cache of the month winners and those suggestd for the prize and find a few of those, before making such cutting remarks. Try a few of zoejam' bridges. CAG's can drive you crazy and JR's will melt your brain. As for your comments about the mom who mistkenly tags along, well I have never tagged along for a cache, I'm usually out front marchinmg briskly. I have have cached with he men and girly men, and cry babies, the bigest disapointment was the male chovenist (sp) git who kept putting every one else down with out enough experience.
I know this crowed and they hav gone out of their way to be nice, but quite frankly you need to chose your words more carefully. Get over your self.
There venting over.
Expecting to be edited or even cut by SB, but I can deal with that. I feel better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EagleXplore
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dachebo,

About half of the Lake Pepin geocaches will only involve log journaling and waypoints for seasoned geocahcers. EXcellent presentation, but nothing too fancy with the thrill of the hunt~find being the reward. About half will be watercraft (canoe, jon boat, etc.) access only or floatation snow shoes. Hopefully, the first one I place at Lake Pepin will receive its first watercraft log entry from Moe. I guess I need to enclose a gift certificate to reward the first log journal entrant.

Team Wicket,

You need to consider each word. I said a Mom "with a pre-schooler" is not advised to tag along. However, there is a nice little lake, creek, picnic table, and walking path. So, maybe Mom and pre-schooler could tag along part of the way. Have you ever been sucked into a winter stiche to help keep our cerebal corteXes well oXygenated?
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize in advance if my bluntness is misconstrued as hostility. EagleXplore, your Lake Pepin area idea sounds like it could be an excellent cache. (I decline to capitalize my x's inappropriately.) But would you please stop posting ad infinitum about your caching philosophies? I don't care to read anything more about vision quests and premier caches and whining preschoolers. I also don't care to read anything more at this point about how you plan to set up this cache. Just hide the thing already and let it speak for itself!
pogopod
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, a clear concise post that probably sums up the feelings of many. Thanks spinowner.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: