MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Green and Gold Bucket with Stars
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EagleXplore
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your valuable insights which are eXtremely helpful. I really appreciate the diversity of thought on: Adopting "Barn Byewater;" Archiving Barn Byewater; and Pros&Cons for placing another cache.

1. I am not interested in adopting "Barn Byewater" so it would seem to be first come first serve as to whoever is most interested.

2. There's differing views as to the need for another cache with the majority apparently leaning toward just one cache ~ enuf is enuf.

3. The minimum distance between "Barn Byewater" and my proposed cache site ("Vision Quest") would be at least 750 feet.

4. Would not most geocachers that have made the effort to hike up Barn Bluff like the added challenge (or a choice) of locating another cache with a unique historical calumet theme~touch?

5. The "Vision Quest" cache would be well-hidden (3.5-4) more user friendly as well as providing educational~historical relevance. If it looks like the flora is being adversely impacted near the cache site I would relocate it to another hiding place no closer than 750 feet from "Barn Byewater." My proposed cache site is closer to 1000' from "Barn Byewater."

6. If there is a downside to "Barn Byewater" it is that the cache is close to the head of the Northside Bluff Trail. Most people don't even know about this secondary trail which isn't the safest. A long time employee of Red Wing Parks & Rec who has hiked all the trails said he doesn't think its even all that safe hiking the Northside Bluff Trail in the summer. As far back as he can remember this is the first time that Barn Bluff has been closed to hikers. At first they were just going to close the Northside Bluff Trail and then they decided to close all trails; which is a shame.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The minimum distance between "Barn Byewater" and my proposed cache site ("Vision Quest") would be at least 750 feet

It is at least .10 mile from the other cache, so you shouldn't have a problem. One way to try to steer people away from the dangerous North trail would be to make the cache a multi with the first stage at the beginning of a safe trail in. This could be as easy as making them do a quick math problem based on a particular sign, or a micro cache with the coordinates for the final inside. Good luck.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
EagleXplore
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If "Barn Byewater" were a multi-stage I wouldn't even consider placing "Vision Quest" on top of Barn Bluff. The one thing favoring the possible placement of another geocache is that "Barn Byewater" is located on the far western end of Barn Bluff. Adding a multi-stage cache on Barn Bluff when there is already an eXisting geocache would be like inviting three of your in-laws to move in with you for the remainder of this year.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What do you think about a combined multi-stage geocache from different members? Does MnGCA have enough control so as to combine current and future Barn Bluff geocaches under one title and limit it to a certain number (3-6) of hiding places. What is the possibility of having such a grouping of future Barn Bluff geocaches all under one title such as "Vision Quest" in which 3-6 caches are placed by 3-6 MnGCA members?

Quote:
Adding a multi-stage cache on Barn Bluff when there is already an eXisting geocache would be like inviting three of your in-laws to move in with you for the remainder of this year.

I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
EagleXplore
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sui Generis,

You missed the focal points.
If only one geocache is ever to be located on Barn Bluff than there are enough hiding places to make "Barn Byewater" into a premier multi-stage if the new adopted owner so chooses. If that should become a reality than this historically significant La Grange doesn't need another single-stage cache no matter how eXcellent the theme or educational value or uniqueness.

If the new adoptive owner decides to keep it as is I would appreciate the first opportunity to place another single-stage cache "Vision Quest" on Barn Bluff with the condition that it first meets with Moe's approval.

Respectfully Yours ~ EagletXplorette
EagleXplore
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sui Generis,

You missed the focal points.
If only one geocache is ever to be located on Barn Bluff than there are enough hiding places to make "Barn Byewater" into a premier multi-stage if the new adopted owner so chooses. If that should become a reality than this historically significant La Grange doesn't need another single-stage cache no matter how eXcellent the theme or educational value or uniqueness.

If the new adoptive owner decides to keep it as is I would appreciate the first opportunity to place another single-stage cache "Vision Quest" on Barn Bluff with the condition that it first meets with Moe's approval.

Respectfully Yours ~ EagletteXplorette
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EagleXplore wrote:
I would appreciate the first opportunity to place another single-stage cache "Vision Quest" on Barn Bluff with the condition that it first meets with Moe's approval.

Question Huh Question

I merely stated some personal opinions. I have no say in what caches get placed where.
EagleXplore
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all have no idea how informative have been your replies. They all add an interesting thread that creates a very informative geocaching tapestry.

Thanks again to you all for helping to get me up to speed. I'm indebted to your freely given ~ freely taken intercache eXchange.

I've pushed the envelope and then some, but it has provided me with some valuable insight. Ain't the internet about the greatest to pick a persons mind? I won't be a bother anymore.
mtn-man
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
EagleXplore wrote:
I would appreciate the first opportunity to place another single-stage cache "Vision Quest" on Barn Bluff with the condition that it first meets with Moe's approval.

Question Huh Question

I merely stated some personal opinions. I have no say in what caches get placed where.

Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironic, ain't it?!
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I won't be a bother anymore.

Promises, promises Rolling Eyes
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this thread has gone a bit off track. Locking.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: