MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cache Attributes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Cache Attributes Reply with quote

Has anyone seen the cache attributes on geocaching.com? You can set (up to 10) symbols to be used on your cache pages, such as parking nearby, 24/7, wheelchair accessible, hunting nearby, etc. There are perhaps 20 icons to choose from total, and many of them you can negate as well (ie. not 24/7, no parking nearby, etc).

There's a lot of room for improvement but it's nice to be able to stick a couple of icons on the page. I just hope that someone doesn't assume that just because it's not there means it's not allowed...

- Pear Head
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Attributes Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Has anyone seen the cache attributes on geocaching.com? You can set (up to 10) symbols to be used on your cache pages, such as parking nearby, 24/7, wheelchair accessible, hunting nearby, etc. There are perhaps 20 icons to choose from total, and many of them you can negate as well (ie. not 24/7, no parking nearby, etc).

I had updated all my cache pages with the symbols yesterday. While I think that it could be a great feature...

Quote:
There's a lot of room for improvement but it's nice to be able to stick a couple of icons on the page. I just hope that someone doesn't assume that just because it's not there means it's not allowed...

This is exactly the problem. Just because *I* believe it may not be kid friendly doesn't mean that it isn't. Just because it doesn't say "parking nearby" doesn't mean that there isn't legal parking available. My definition of "nearby" is .10 or less. It also seems a bit useless unless they allow you to pull your PQ GPXs with those symbols in mind. Maybe ClayJar could add functionality to Watcher to sort by them as well?

s4xton and I had a short discussion off-forum about their lack of thought when they threw this out there. Yet another interesting addition to the site that is still in its infancy and probably deserved a little more thought before they added it for everyone.

It's a bit easier to use than The Selector from TX Geocaching but I don't know how useful it will be in its current state. YMMV.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it's a good idea, it's poorly implimented. Above, you guys already pointed out some of the major issues that could develop from it.

Right now I'm having more fun with it than anything else, such as using zero symbols other than "Swimming may be required" just because it's a multi that happens to be at a beach (and swimming is technically one route you could take - abeit rather stupid).

-Aaron
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB - you touched on one of the problems I have with "nearby" such as parking nearby.

At this point, I am ignoring most of the symbols. For example, I could probably put "ticks" on 90% of my caches. If it's in the woods, there will be ticks. I don't feel the need to put the symbol up there for it.

I have mainly used, where appropriate, the less than 1 hour, long hike, parking, stealth, hunting, 24/7, and winter symbols. I may have snuck one or two others in here or there, but for the most part I've stuck to that list above.

Certain symbols are very straightforward and helpful. 24/7, winter friendly, hunting, and less than 1 hour come to mind. Pretty hard to misinterpret those (although I'm sure someone will prove me wrong).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does a person find these symbols, or is that one of the features for Premium members. I tried to look on gc.com but don't see anything that would direct me to the symbols.

Thanks,
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to a cache page that you own. On the right hand side of the page, just below the size of the cache, is a link to "edit attributes".

I haven't seen anything that indicates it's for premium members only.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I have mainly used, where appropriate, the less than 1 hour, long hike, parking, stealth, hunting, 24/7, and winter symbols. I may have snuck one or two others in here or there, but for the most part I've stuck to that list above.

I have done just about the same. Even though people will interpret whatever I say differently than what I intended at least I did the best I could.

Some of my caches probably aren't child friendly. I don't have kids and I don't know everyone else's kids but I think a 3+ mile multi through rolling hills consisting of multiple micros and probably a good bit of searching for a container that has no McToys might not be suitable for a 6 year old Wink

I'm half glad they didn't predetermine what any of the symbols really mean as they are probably different whereever you are... For eagleyes a cache that's 4 miles from the parking is "nearby". For KB it's 300 feet or less Wink
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For KB it's 300 feet or less

you're much too generous
Jonas and Julia
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Go to a cache page that you own. On the right hand side of the page, just below the size of the cache, is a link to "edit attributes".

Greetings,

I've been reading about the new attributes and more than a little curious to see the whole list of possibilities -- but we are not cache owners (yet!). Have you found any alternative way to see the list?

Thank you,
Julia
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonas and Julia wrote:

I've been reading about the new attributes and more than a little curious to see the whole list of possibilities -- but we are not cache owners (yet!). Have you found any alternative way to see the list?

Sure, here ya go, quick 'n dirty:

-Ken
Jonas and Julia
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Thanks so much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: