MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm Reporting Silent Bob to GEOCACHE

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EagleXplore
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: I'm Reporting Silent Bob to GEOCACHE Reply with quote

Having thought about the unwelcome reply to a first time new member I'm filing a report with GEOCACHE.

The cache at Barn Bywater (La Grange) is not even a multi-cache. The Lake Pepin area is ripe for my French Fort (Sioux posts) theme caches and another one on La Grange will be a nice addition. If I hiked to the top I'd welcome two or three cache challenges at the top as well as one or two around the base area.

The other French fort sites and earliest American fur trade posts around Lake Pepin don't have any caches placed at this time. I grew up in the area and spent several years scouting out the actual locations of the French forts from 1686 - 1752. I won't be placing any caches near burial mounds. Fort St. Antoine, Premier Fort, 2e Fort, Fort Lajonquiere, Fort Perrot, Fort LeSueur, Fort Pierre, Fort Marin, and Fort Beauharnois (Born-wah). I doubt if there's another person that knows the location of a portion of the ancient St. Antoine Trail or the old counterfeiter's cave. There is such a rich history that will make this a very unique, adverturous and challenging.
pogopod
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this all about? I must have missed something.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'm too. Welcome to the site.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Having thought about the unwelcome reply to a first time new member I'm filing a report with GEOCACHE.

Heh

Quote:
The Lake Pepin area is ripe for my French Fort (Sioux posts) theme caches and another one on La Grange will be a nice addition. If I hiked to the top I'd welcome two or three cache challenges at the top as well as one or two around the base area.

The other French fort sites and earliest American fur trade posts around Lake Pepin don't have any caches placed at this time.

OMG, there are some who pay big rewards for this kind of info, and you give it away for free? You might want to hurry and stake your claim. There may be a land rush soon.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EX,
I think it's good to point out these locations as being deserving of caches. That said, to those those who enjoy hiding caches (I suppose KB might fall into that category) announcing great spots before they have a chance to use them themselves is unthinkable. Perhaps the two of you could collaborate on some caches down that way. I think a series of historic caches around Lake Pepin has potential to be absolutely outstanding.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Having thought about the unwelcome reply to a first time new member I'm filing a report with GEOCACHE

If this means a report with Geocaching.com, they have no authority over this organization, or what happens here. Your report might be better filed with the MNGCA executive board, or with the system administrators.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
EagleXplore
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spinowner says, "announcing great spots before they have a chance to use them themselves is unthinkable."

I doubt very much if any member here knows the whereabouts of Rest Island or an eXisting portion of the old St. Antoine trail or that the Fort St. Antoine historical marker is actually the location of Pierre Paul Marin's 1752 post to the Sioux (Fort Lajonquiere). Has anyone ever hear of the Fort LaPointe trading post associated with the greater Lake Pepin area ~ let alone its approximate location across from a well-known river flowing into the Mississippi? Does anyone know the approximate location of LaRoque's trading post or that the leading Minnesota French Regime archaeologist believes a Wisconsin side location for Fort Beauharnois is just as likely as the widely purported Frontenac location. And even if someone else figures out the location of Cap aux pistolets ~ so what? They don't know the interesting history. Who knows (or even cares) how Lake Pepin got the name Lac des Pleurs and its possible connection to Rest Island?

How many people have ever heard of Pierre Pepin dit LaForce who with his brother(s) accompanied Duluth's 1679 exploration party to establish a trading alliance with the eastern Sioux (Mdewakantan). The Pepin brothers wintered over (1679-80) with the eastern Sioux and eXplored a vast territory (west & south) of eastern Sioux lands. The mouth of the Chippewa river was a favorite place for capturing turtles and a favorite haunt of bison. It also served as a temporary cache site for eastern Sioux bison kills. Besides spring maple sugaring east of Lake Pepin the Santee Sioux also looked forward to their first bison hunt each year on the prairies west of Wabasha.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: du Lhut Reply with quote

Daniel Greysolon Sieur du Lhut

Forgive me, I couldn't stop myself. Go ahead- laugh.
Rouster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're all here to have fun.

I'm sure silentbob was thinking about the guy that recently got stuck on Barn's Bluff (La Grange) for more than a day, in freezing weather. It made all the news. While there may be a few people that are doing this for a life-threatening experience, most aren't. I think one is enough there.

Barn's bluff is on my to-do list for next spring/summer. While a cache there earned cache-of-the-month in April last year, I can't see myself going up more than once on what appears to be such a challenging and dangerous hillside, especially for a multi.

Personally, I like historic sites. A quick Google search has piqued my interest about the sites you mentioned. What else can you tell us about those forts, people, and other places? Put a cache there, include some interesting info, and I will come.
EagleXplore
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagleyes,

I've been waiting to hear from you. I noticed that you picked up on my nickname by changing from eagle eyes to eagleyes. Some things (e.g. French spelling of Duluth) aren't necessary unless you live in Quebec ~ but you did forget the comma.

Silent Bob says, " There's already a cache on Barn Bluff, and it doesn't need another IMHO." Have you thought how much of a cliche is IMHO? Like it's not enough to say IMO, but some need to let us know that they are humble.

The MnGCA says, "Be aware of how many caches are located nearby. If there are several most likely your cache would be more appreciated in an area where there are fewer caches."

Since when is SB the authority on how many caches are deemed enough for any given area, and that one cache on Barn Bluff will suffice?

I think it's actually a GOOD Idea to run cache plans pass members. If someone else wants to get a jump start then it tells me a lot about that member/team. It just seems natural that my first cache should honor the Santee Sioux. The cache name would be "Vision Quest" and it would have a Dakota theme. It should possibly face toward the East. It would have an educational theme and be a unique cache. Perhaps one that has been placed in its hiding location by one or more of Amos Owens sons. The log book may have a personal saluation from a spiritual leader of the Prairie Island Mdewakantan community. The items in the cache will have special significance and finders of the cache may be encouraged to leave a short message for the tribal elders at Prairie Island.

If you all think this is a hoot then perhaps a few Dakotah youth will help me locate and watch the mde~tanka (lac bon secour) caches. And what if the caches are stolen or defaced. Then it is just one more sign of the depravity of the white man and that cache will be removed.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since when is SB the authority on how many caches are deemed enough for any given area, and that one cache on Barn Bluff will suffice?

If I recollect you were asking what people thought of your idea. He told you. Sorry you didn't like what he even identified as his "OPINION" Agree with it or don't, hide caches where you want. Don't come to the forums seeking feedback if you can't handle the negative as well as the positive. If you simply want pats on the back, or are seeking an opportunity for self-aggrandizement, post a web web page. In any event, quit whining and move on. Rolling Eyes
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: caching names Reply with quote

noticed that you picked up on my nickname by changing from eagle eyes to eagleyes.

I joined June 3, 2003 and was caching under that name(one word-not two done for a purpose,not a mistake) long before I joined this group - and you joined in 2005?

Are you the same person who is #241 on the GC member list? If so- I think we have been through all this name stuff.

Last edited by eagleyes on Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm getting an Xcellent laugh out of all of this, and I am sure EagleXplore is Xtatic about the kind of response he got, I think it's time to put the coup de grāce on this thread put an end to this weekend's forum games.

-Aaron
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: