MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Huygens has landed

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 06 Apr 2004

Posts: 499

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Huygens has landed Reply with quote

The Huygens probe, jettisoned from the Cassini Spacecraft on December 24, 2004, has apparently survived its descent through the thick atmosphere of Saturn's giant moon, Titan. Radio telescopes all over the world are picking up Huygen's carrier signal, and actual visual data should start to be received from the Cassini probe later this afternoon.

In case anyone's interested, tune into the Science Channel at 8:00 pm CST tonight for coverage and data streams from the surface of Titan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 26 Nov 2002

Posts: 1270

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Huygens has landed Reply with quote

Buzzygirl wrote:
The Huygens probe, jettisoned from the Cassini Spacecraft on December 24, 2004, has apparently survived its descent through the thick atmosphere of Saturn's giant moon, Titan. Radio telescopes all over the world are picking up Huygen's carrier signal, and actual visual data should start to be received from the Cassini probe later this afternoon.

In case anyone's interested, tune into the Science Channel at 8:00 pm CST tonight for coverage and data streams from the surface of Titan.


Aren't the latest series of robotic missions exciting? Deep Impact should also be interesting.

And then there's SS1 and the potnetial of a moon-mars venture. Good times.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 22 Feb 2004

Posts: 1424

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else submit their name for the CD-ROM on deep impact? I seem to remember I did. Also have had my name on the dvds attached to the two Mars Rovers (course the DVD is attached to the carriers, not the rovers themselves).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 06 Apr 2004

Posts: 499

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are now pictures coming back from the surface of Titan... the first ones show what appears to be rocky, boulder-strewn terrain (not unlike that of Mars) and also some areas of what look like stream beds and lakeshores!

Of course, these aren't streams and lakes we're familiar with-- if anything, they are likely to be filled with liquid methane or ethane.

I can't wait to see more pictures. Looks like Huygens is a stunning success!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 02 Sep 2003

Posts: 6261

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
Anyone else submit their name for the CD-ROM on deep impact? I seem to remember I did. Also have had my name on the dvds attached to the two Mars Rovers (course the DVD is attached to the carriers, not the rovers themselves).

If only that had sent ALL copies of the movie Deep Impact on DVD to the comet for destruction... Now that would have been interesting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 06 Apr 2004

Posts: 499

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
If only that had sent ALL copies of the movie Deep Impact on DVD to the comet for destruction... Now that would have been interesting.


Laughing no kidding!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 04 Apr 2004

Posts: 5693

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
Anyone else submit their name for the CD-ROM on deep impact? I seem to remember I did. Also have had my name on the dvds attached to the two Mars Rovers (course the DVD is attached to the carriers, not the rovers themselves).


That just means that the aliens are going to come and get you first...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Geocaching Cache Icons, Copyright 2009, Groundspeak Inc. All rights reserved. Used with Permission.