MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cache of the Month nominations needed!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Out of State Caches for COTM ONLY for Jan Reply with quote

Reminder that nominations are due Dec 23rd for the Jan COTM. Voting will open on the 25th of Dec till the 5th of Jan.

In the future Nominations will be due by the 23th. Voting will open the 25th of the month and run for 10 days.

Please send them to me via private message in the forums or via email through my profile on gc.com.

Also this month and every 3 mnths thereafter I want nominations from out of state caches only. That way we get to know and experince great caches not only in the Metro but in the out state areas that have ALOT to add to our experiences.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nominate GCPZXN The Cambridge Colony by Yellow Streak ( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e5784b61-8387-4c83-b278-0c1b24f533f6 ) for Jan Cache of the Month.

It is one of the best caches I have ever done.

-Merkman
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nominate Grayhook's I Love Minneapolis Parks, Phiilips, located around Cedar Ave. and Hiawatha. I'd send a waypoint if I could actually get through to the gc.com website. It must be down at the moment.

This cache has nice balance of the elements risk and search. The neighborhood and the climb both provide just enough danger to get the adrenaline moving. And although I despise pine tree hides, the container for this cache is the perfect size where if you're actually near it and paying attention you'll be able to score the find.

Bravo.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Out of State Caches for COTM ONLY for Jan Reply with quote

CamoCacher wrote:
Please send them to me via private message in the forums or via email through my profile on gc.com.

Whoops I can't read sorry
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
I nominate Grayhook's I Love Minneapolis Parks, Phiilips, located around Cedar Ave. and Hiawatha. I'd send a waypoint if I could actually get through to the gc.com website. It must be down at the moment.

This cache has nice balance of the elements risk and search. The neighborhood and the climb both provide just enough danger to get the adrenaline moving.

Too bad nobody offered to sell you crack.. You didn't get the full experience. Smile
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

This cache has nice balance of the elements risk and search. The neighborhood and the climb both provide just enough danger to get the adrenaline moving. And although I despise pine tree hides, the container for this cache is the perfect size where if you're actually near it and paying attention you'll be able to score the find.

Bravo.

I'll save this for FEB, Jan is out state caches only.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

GCZKKY
This has detered me from finding some of grayhook's caches before. I wasn't offered a chance to buy any crack though. Maybe next time.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamoCacher wrote:
bflentje wrote:

Bravo.

I'll save this for FEB, Jan is out state caches only.

Do you mean outside MN or outside the metro when you say "out state" ? I thought we voted to keep the COTM in MN? Just wondering.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
I thought we voted to keep the COTM in MN? Just wondering.

"Greater Minnesota" is the most politically correct term I believe.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
"Greater Minnesota" is the most politically correct term I believe.

Or "GREATER Minnesota" Laughing
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For clarification, I’m assuming “Greater Minnesota” means anything outside of the seven county metro area?
The seven being Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott, and Washington.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really looked into the exact meaning -- I just assumed outside what everyone considers the "Metro" (which is ever expanding).
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought there might be some confusion avoided by coming up with a definition of what is and what isn’t.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dachebo wrote:
For clarification, I’m assuming “Greater Minnesota” means anything outside of the seven county metro area?
The seven being Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott, and Washington.

This is the definition I will be using.
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
bflentje wrote:

GCZKKY
This has detered me from finding some of grayhook's caches before. I wasn't offered a chance to buy any crack though. Maybe next time.

Well I'm not sure if that nomination is tongue in cheek or not, but on the week that cache was posted, I checked the Mpls crime reports, and there were a half-dozen robberies, a half-dozen narcotics arrests, some car break-ins, and at least four "car recoveries" within two blocks of that park. I showed the maps to pfalstad while talking about what it'd take to actually go down there and look for the cache (protective gear, at least 4 cachers, and someone else's car). That week was unseasonably warm, and I told him it'd be interesting to see what the next week looked like, since it was much colder. Well, here they are, for your review...hot off the press, just 3 days old!

As you can see, not much has changed...less robberies but more aggravated assaults. The narcotics arrests went way down, apparently the cold does affect the drug trade there...whee. I've clipped these graphics so they fit here, you can see the full versions (HERE) and (HERE). If you want to track these babies live for ALL of Minneaoplis, the url is:

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/police/crime-statistics/codefor/

Just don't look too close, or you may never cache in Minneaoplis again! Smile Seriously though, I'm not overly skittish about these sorts of things, but please use your best judgement when searching for this cache in particular. I had a discussion with an anonymous highly-placed MNGCA member at the last BB event about another cache in this series that's in an extremely dangerous area of town, but I think this one is the "worst" of them in terms of violent crime near and at the park. FWIW - enjoy!

-Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: