MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cache of the Month nominations needed!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, having heard a bunch about these caches, I know I'm not doing them anytime soon solo, but then again...me going out solo would mean caching anytime other than WeekNIGHT runs Wink

However, I am confused by this quote:

fsu*noles wrote:
I had a discussion with an anonymous highly-placed MNGCA member at the last BB event about another cache in this series that's in an extremely dangerous area of town, but I think this one is the "worst" of them in terms of violent crime near and at the park. FWIW - enjoy!

-Ken

And here I thought YOU were a highly placed member, since you're a member and all and help out where ya can. I didn't think the MNGCA was really a "status" thing, more of a group of MN cachers with a formalized board only so the group is more able to meet with parks as a formalized group. At least I've never seen any "status" for anyone, only hassles that the board has to put up with and vacation time the previous board put into opening up state parks for the rest of us instead of on real vacations.

Sorry, a bit off topic...

Celticwulf
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Ken isn't talking about me in this particular instance, I have warned two cachers not to attempt this series by themselves and certainly not after dark.

While some of the locations are fine many are not. Unfortunately I wouldn't know which ones are which other than theone by Cedar Riverside LRT station.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay this then begs the question if a cache like this is trully nominated do we really want to put it up as cache of the month or do we say it can't be....I don't want us giving COTM a black eye by nominating a cache that someone then goes and does and gets hurt or something.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's up to the COTM moderator Wink
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamoCacher wrote:
Okay this then begs the question if a cache like this is trully nominated do we really want to put it up as cache of the month or do we say it can't be....I don't want us giving COTM a black eye by nominating a cache that someone then goes and does and gets hurt or something.

Ok, I got caught up and now understand your PM. Look, this is obviously a rough part of town. But I went at 3:00PM when it was 15 degrees out. You can literally park 20 feet from where the cache is located. I didn't think this cache was anymore dangerous than Grayhook's others and I've done nearly all of the ones located with 2 miles of downtown.

Obviously, be aware of your surroundings and never do these at night. I would guess the majority, not all, of the crime stats are from after dark activity.

I nominated this one NOT tongue in cheek but if you want to remove it from the poll that's fine with me. If you want some humorous logs about a downtown cache check out Team Michealson's Loring Park Micro. Very neat during the day but don't attempt at night.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminder that nominations are due Jan 23rd for the Feb COTM. Voting will open on the 25th of Jan till the 5th of Feb.

In the future Nominations will be due by the 23th. Voting will open the 25th of the month and run for 10 days.

Please send them to me via private message in the forums or via email through my profile on gc.com.

Also starting in Jan and every 3 mnths thereafter I want nominations from out state area caches only. That way we get to know and experince great caches not only in the Metro but in the out state areas that have ALOT to add to our experiences.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI Jonas of Jonas and Julia has offered to take over and revamp the COTM. He will take over as soon as this months COTM is completed. Welcome him into this endevor as you did when PearHead and I made our changeover.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing what the 5th COTM moderator will bring Smile
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamoCacher wrote:
FYI Jonas of Jonas and Julia has offered to take over and revamp the COTM. He will take over as soon as this months COTM is completed. Welcome him into this endevor as you did when PearHead and I made our changeover.

Hanging it up? Have not seen you contribute much over the last couple of weeks.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
CamoCacher wrote:

Hanging it up? Have not seen you contribute much over the last couple of weeks.

No. just life getting in the way. Working full time, going to school parttime, taking 2 additional online classes and another distance learning course. Then of course there is the day to day stuff. Plus I'm a wimp when it comes to the cold, give me a 100+ degree day anyday. Twisted Evil
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamoCacher wrote:
I'm a wimp when it comes to the cold, give me a 100+ degree day anyday. Twisted Evil

Yet you jump in frozen lakes for fun. I don't get it Wink
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
CamoCacher wrote:
I'm a wimp when it comes to the cold, give me a 100+ degree day anyday. Twisted Evil

Yet you jump in frozen lakes for fun. I don't get it Wink

My boss has ALOT to do wiuth the jumpin' in the frozen lake. Plus my brain is adled from the Army - no commonsense in this one.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamoCacher wrote:

Thanks for all of the work you've done CamoCacher! We appreciate your contribution and look forward to what Jonas has to offer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: