MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tearing up the place... why?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Tearing up the place... why? Reply with quote

Something I've been seeing more and more of in the past month or two is cache areas that have been all torn up by previous hunters. I'm talking about shredded rotten logs and stumps, overturned logs, and broken limbs. I'm seeing this at caches that have only been listed for a couple of days with only one or two on-line logs. I've also noticed it at caches I DNF and then return to a few days later to find the area muched changed.

As geocaching comes under more and more pressure from park officials, this behavior is exactly what we don't need. There is no reason for the area to look any different after a hunt, successful or not, than it did when we arrive.

Please be gentle out there folks!
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wholeheartedly agree.

Usually when I approach an area, I do a visual inspection before I even touch anything, most times it works better than moving stuff around anyways, because if you're anything like me, you'd probably move more stuff onto the cache than uncovering it. Often times if you take a few minutes to just look, you'll see the more obvious anyway.

On another note, I have to say I was very impressed when I met up with Tecgeojim at "Minnesota Cachers" the other week, he arrived early, and by the time I got out there, I saw him walking around picking up trash, he'd already found the cache. Not to mention it was pretty cold out, shamefully if the roles were reversed, I mighta sat in my warm car. Anyways, it's good to see a cacher out cleaning up an area, verses what moe described. Inspired me to do a bit better on the trash pick up when I'm out in the parks.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe, I fully agree. I've had it occur to several of the caches I've placed. I guess if they are harder to find then some what to take it out on the surrounding area. I've even had to go as far as to write on several cache pages that there is no need to damage any of the surrounding area. That the cache is placed where it can be picked up without moving or breaking anything.

Not sure how to stop it from happening.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: I agree-- Reply with quote

we did a circle today around western Wisconsin- 13 caches in all- We also noticed this in the woods in places- but it was most noticable in areas where the caches were to be found in stumps or hollow logs- and this time of the year there is about 4 inches of snow covering everything and the logs are iced down or stuck in snow. It is difficult not to do any damage when you are looking for a cache in one of these snow covered logs or stumps- no matter how careful you are. Also, in areas with little snow, just by walking through you are going to make the place look trashy just by kicking up the leaves, sticks, and snow as you can't see them. Sometimes just brushing a tree limb in cold weather will snap it. In snowless conditions you still kick them up, and move logs, but the disturbance isn't as visible. Look at Moe's entry- he says the last couple of months-which are snow months-

This is one big reason why I don't want people finding my caches in the winter- it is too harmful to the environment in which they are placed- also, there is no skill involved to caching when you can walk right to a cache by following a trail in the snow like we did yesterday for 3 caches, but then we are out for adventure, not numbers - which is a whole nother topic.
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big tupperware near an established trail generally yields almost no damage.

Micros in the woods beg for a real thorough search. The fact that they go get hidden under bark sometimes encourages poking and prodding that often times is not necessary.

I, like most others, try to look things over without touching before finding a little stick and scratching at the ground in a hole here or there.

No excuse for demolishing the rotting timber that clearly has not been moved in 20 years though.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paklid wrote:
No excuse for demolishing the rotting timber that clearly has not been moved in 20 years though.

It amazes me how much I watch stuff fall apart from one year to the next. I think I was discussing it with Moe and we mentioned that logs fall apart after only one or two years in the woods.

Is it really because of us ripping it apart or is it because of nature and we just never stopped to notice?

Are we doing something awful by helping nature reclaim itself or something harmful?
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Is it really because of us ripping it apart or is it because of nature and we just never stopped to notice?

What I was referring to in my original post was not normal degradation. It was clearly caused by careless human activity.

The funny thing is, I have seen a lot less of this since expressing my concern. Very Happy
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all follow Sleeze the Great!
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

towlebooth wrote:

That's just 'cause you guys are slow. Laughing
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
That's just 'cause you guys are slow. Laughing

Nah, it's because you are the Original Geostud and we are all wannabes!
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

towlebooth wrote:

Oh, hi Moe! While I can understand the confusion. . .I was talking about Kitch!!
Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: