MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What happened to the other board?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Bird and Son
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: What happened to the other board? Reply with quote

I was shocked to find that the other MN Cache board wasn't working. By chance I found this site. What also happened to BK11? I've put out some caches in the Winona Area thinking fer sure she would find them since there aren't very many in Winona but she hasn't.
bobhiker
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: The MnGCA Reply with quote

Hi there Big Bird and son
We came up with the idea for the Minnesota Geocaching Association last May when the MN DNR banned this activity from the Minnesota State Parks. We figured if we organized into an association, we could educate them on the benefits Geocaching can bring to their parks. As you know, they were not receptive to working with us.
Last October I started meeting with directors of one of the biggest park systems in the state, the Three Rivers Park District, formerly Hennepin Parks. After educating them on the benefits of Geocaching, they are really receptive to the idea of it, as long as it is managed properly within their parks. They wanted to work closely with our group but our group was not well organized, had no leadership, and existed only as a forum. I contacted BK11 about getting this group more organized and she informed me that she would not be renewing her web-site lease, and that it would be expiring and turned off Nov. 30. It was the only way our group existed and it was kind of embarassing to explain to the park district that we were only a forum.
So we used the GEM forum to schedule a quick meeting to see if there was enough interest in forming a more organized group. We met in November and had a great turn out. (Read the minutes on the front page of MnGCA.org.) We found enough interest to continue and the Minnesota Geocaching Association was born. We decided on the name and had a couple of volunteers step up and get the web site going. We met in December and elected nine members to the board. We now are having meetings regularly and they will be listed on the front page.
We encourage participation from everyone within Minnesota. This is a Minnesota group, and it will take all of us to work together. Our plan is to work with local parks and work our way up to the DNR. We currently have three metro area counties working with us to develop a policy to support geocaching within their parks. These policies will be finalized soon and links will be posted to them on our site.
Thank you for your interest in this group. We hope you feel comfortable and get involved with us to make Geocaching something parks can benefit from. Thanks. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Southern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: