MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Help needed Reply with quote

In our Grand Plan this winter, we will be driving I35 from MN to TX. We are still in the GPS only equipment. but think there is a change coming of which we know nothing about.

I understand there is equipment out there that would allow us to load in say- the state of Iowa caches and as we are driving, we would be able to pull up caches along or close by I35, and so on down I35 to its end in Texas.

Is there such a piece of equipment, and what would be the simplest system to get that would allow us to do this?

Thanks in advance for helping us "elders" out.

We are now using a Garmin V and a Garmin Etrex Vista C.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed Reply with quote

eagleyes wrote:
I understand there is equipment out there that would allow us to load in say- the state of Iowa caches and as we are driving, we would be able to pull up caches along or close by I35, and so on down I35 to its end in Texas.

Is there such a piece of equipment, and what would be the simplest system to get that would allow us to do this?

There was a previous discussion of this topic located here.

Personally I pull GPX's from GC.com via the "Run Pocket Queries" area and then load them into Streets and Trips 2005 and use it to find the caches within 1mi of the route S&T gives me.

Then I use st2gpx to pull the waypoints back out to load onto the GPS. Since you have two autorouting GPSs you don't need S&T's directions. I use the list S&T gives me to make a list similar to URL REMOVED BY SB - Dead Link so I can load the cache pages easily on the road.

If you want some help in making the GPX I can certainly take the time to do it for you. Just let me know privately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: