MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

archive or disable?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: archive or disable? Reply with quote

As some of you now from a previous discussion, I always disable my caches for winter because the terrain on most of them is impassble or dangerous in the winter. Yes, I do remove some of them for overhauls and re-distribute and add to the trinkets.

I just noticed that my fellow cachers up here just archived their caches for the same reasons- so what I need to know- should I be archiving them or disabling them?

I thought if a cache was archived that the entire registration process had to be done over again to unarchive them and that the area wasn't protected-say that now that his caches are archived that I could put a cache it that spot- (no, I wouldn't do that to a fellow cacher)-

So what is is with archiving for a period and unarchiving the cache a few months later-
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you archive, I would think someone else could "jump your claim" so to speak and place a cache within .10 miles. Then your cache might not be able to become unarchived.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: My thoughts--- Reply with quote

Somewhere in the past I think that was the advice MM gave me and that is why I disable- so I think I will continue as I am doing- and no, I will not put caches in my friend's archived caches- heck- I already have a few new ones myself to set this spring-I certainly don't need his too!!!! Smile Smile
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also if you archive it you will need MM or another admin to unarchive it. A user cannot unarchive a cache, only disable/reenable.

I think disabling them, with a reason in the log (which I assume you did - I saw them last year but haven't looked at any of yours yet this winter) should be good enough.

I think the policy that GC normally has is to not allow a cache to be disabled for more than a couple of months at the most to allow others to place caches in the area. In your case you are disabling them as there is limited access in the winter so I don't really see a problem there.

- Pear Head
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think the policy that GC normally has is to not allow a cache to be disabled for more than a couple of months

I've had one disabled for 6-8 months, but have posted info so it doesn't appear forgotten. Two planned trips never happened. It's not a high-demand area anyway.

In the past, ADMIN's would not archive until after a year.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: archive or disable? Reply with quote

eagleyes wrote:
As some of you now from a previous discussion, I always disable my caches for winter because the terrain on most of them is impassble or dangerous in the winter.

On a side note, I recommend making a note in bold about the terrain on the cache page and not disabling/archiving it. It should keep most families and regular geocachers away from it from the winter but I think it should still be open for people that want a huge challenge. Put your personal judgement about how impossible or dangerous it is in the winter on the cache page, and let the cacher decide for his or herself if they will do it.

One exception: If the park or area it's in is closed and the park does not want visitors or does not allow visitors during the winter.

Agree? Disagree?

(and to the rest of the thread, yeah, disable is the way to go, not archive, unless the cache is gone imho)

-Aaron
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: archive or disable? Reply with quote

The King wrote:
I've had one disabled for 6-8 months, but have posted info so it doesn't appear forgotten. Two planned trips never happened. It's not a high-demand area anyway.

In the past, ADMIN's would not archive until after a year.

Take a look at GCGG87.

It's a cache in Superior, WI, in a place that is fairly busy. Another cache (not by me) was placed in the park shortly after this one was archived (although not within 500'). MM archived it on his own (thanks) - I didn't prod him on 9/11 to archive it.

s4xton wrote:
eagleyes wrote:
As some of you now from a previous discussion, I always disable my caches for winter because the terrain on most of them is impassble or dangerous in the winter.

On a side note, I recommend making a note in bold about the terrain on the cache page and not disabling/archiving it. It should keep most families and regular geocachers away from it from the winter but I think it should still be open for people that want a huge challenge. Put your personal judgement about how impossible or dangerous it is in the winter on the cache page, and let the cacher decide for his or herself if they will do it.

I do have to agree with Aaron - I would rather be aware of the difficulties of terrain and have the choice to go hunt it.

I am aware that you travel lots during the winter and that you are concerned about maintaining the caches while you are gone...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: archive or disable? Reply with quote

s4xton wrote:

I agree with this completely.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: IMP Reply with quote

My caches already indicate the terrain difficulty- by disabling them in the winter I give myself the extra security to know that I have done my best to warn people that as cache owner, IMP, the cache is not suitable for winter caching- therefore- if they go they know the risk and if there is an injury (like the Texas incident) I can say to myself that I did everything possible to warn them against going to the cache.

Now- you can deal wtih this among yourselves- I am out of this one-
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has enjoyed several eagleye caches and someone who always travels to the area over Xmas I'm dissapointed that they go away over the holiday. Your choice, but too bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: