MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheap ETREX

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pogopod
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Cheap ETREX Reply with quote

Thought I would throw this in General since not everyone is into the tech topics. I was in an ALDI grocery store in Illinois yesterday and they had Garmin etrex units for $59.99. They are a national chain, so the item could be in local stores too. They only sell non-food items for a two week period, so act now if you want to find one and a great price. I have been assured by ALDI that these are regular stock units.
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the same "package deal" like what comes from other vendors?? My dad just "spur of the moment" purchased an ETREX from Cabella's on Saturday (11/27) It came with an instructional video, a protective soft case, etc. He didn't really shop around at all...ended up paying $109.00 Shocked

Guess he should have looked before he lept....(is lept a word???)
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed that both Garmin and Magellan are REALLY dropping prices on their entry level units lately. I have also been seeing GPS units in unusual stores (like Aldi and other non sporting goods stores). Lots of nice package deals if you shop around a bit.

I saw a Garmin Legend (the same unit I have and still love) for $107 over the weekend. Sure beats the $300 I paid for it 3 years ago, eh? Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
pogopod
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, same thing. Probably are too late. I was in a store and they apepar to be gone.
SirPoonga
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think Garmin should come out with a Geocaching Etrex. Have the geocaching features of some of the higher end models but at a lower price for people new to caching.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have the geocaching features of some of the higher end models but at a lower price for people new to caching.

But that would kill part of the incentive to upgrade! (and who doesn't like new toys?)
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: We are looking... Reply with quote

for a base unit cheap to take on our trip to Mexico as we left our old etrex with the rellies in Slovenia this summer- Bird Dog doesn't want to take his good GPSs in case it gets stolen and we only need it for caching in Mexico because you can only get base maps for Mexico but nothing down loadable. Where are the cheapies being sold these days?
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think target has a nice etrex legend package for 179 right now
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
DJTRACKERS
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out your friendly pawn shops. I got a etrex legend new in the box for $80. Don't pay what they are asking, usually drop your offer around 30% from asking price. You can always go higher.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aldi on Rice Street in Little Canada does not have eTrexes. I was there last night and the clerk said they have never had them at that location. Some other locations in the Cities may have them.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: ALDI- Reply with quote

They have unlisted phone numbers so you have to go there to find out if they have GPSs
pogopod
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldi is done with that promotion. I spoke to the buyer about it on Thursday. It was a test in a limited number of stores. If they decide to do it again the best place to find it is the web site. As I said in my earlier post, they only promote for a two week period. If you see it grab it because it willnot be there next time.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at my local Aldi this evening (Rice Street, Little Canada) and I saw a small sign over one of the cash registers, advertising for eTrexes for $59.99. But they were nowhere to be seen, I least I saw no display or anything. So I asked the cashier if she knew if they had any in the store and she said, "I think we stock 'em in the back." She really didn't sound sure if they had them or not. FYI, that Aldi is open on Sundays, 10-5, and it's on Rice Street, just about one block north of Highway 36. You might want to check it out, but there are no guarantees that they actually have any.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Target has them for $89.99 Reply with quote

nm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: