MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

railroad tracks
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: railroad tracks Reply with quote

i am confident i will receive a timely response to an inquiry i have made about geocaches and railroad tracks, but i would still benefit some insight about railways.

i am attempting to hide a cache in a city park, within 150 feet of railroad tracks. based on two pieces of information, i have no reason to believe these are active. geocaching guidelines say you can't place them within 150 feet of active tracks, but they speak nothing to inactive tracks.

what i know about the tracks: trains haven't run on the tracks in 11 years, according to my brother, a homeowner within a stones throw of these tracks. and the nearby crossing is marked "exempt."

now i can't say for sure, but i thought that the exempt designation meant buses didn't have to stop at these tracks, because they are inactive. am i mistaken?

the cache has been rejected because it is allegedly within 150 feet of an active track. i disagree with that, and am trying to figure out what information these decisions are based upon and if that information is correct. i would probably accept the finding as correct if the nearby crossing wasn't marked exempt. but that designation suggests to me that the finding is incorrect.

one other factor that leads me to question the accuracy of the finding. i have visited a micro cache within spitting distance of an active railraod track. it is along a pedestrian trail, (so its placement didn't bother me,) but based upon geocaching guidelines, it shouldn't have been approved. if it was approved based upon a finding that the track is inactive, then that's further proof that the information used to make such decisions is outdated or inaccurate. i know the tracks to be active, as i watched a train pass upon the tracks 30 days after i found the cache.

if anyone else has had railroad issues, i'd appreciate information on what the problem was and how it was resolved. the city park i have placed this cache in is small, and has limited places to hide a cache. the cache is accessible from the park grass, and there is a fair buffer of trees and brush between the park and the tracks. since it is close to my brother's house, my 9-year-old nephew is looking forward to watching and maintaining the cache with me, hence i want to see it approved if it is meeting geocaching.com guidelines.

thanks for any information you can provide.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not much help...

I'm guessing that the tracks show up on mapquest, and that caused the rejection. Many times, mapquest is less than accurate. I know of active tracks that don't show up, and I know of tracks that show up, and they're long gone.

Any chance of finding any city info concerning a possible future "rails to trails" project?
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's good advice, thanks. again, i cannot say with 100% certainty that the tracks have been abandoned, but as my information suggests, there's good reason to think that is the case. i plan to contact the city in which the cache is located on tuesday to find out what information they have about the tracks. the rails to trails question will be a good question to ask.

thanks again.
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are three caches I've been to near railroad tracks where trains have passed by while I was in the area, and here are two of them--

Iron Triangle Cache by KC0QEG
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=57c0895d-83ad-4cd5-aa1b-a3998a3a1050

Where is Charlie Pitts?? by Kitch-with help from a CoolerChick (me2)
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=75122a2d-7791-40eb-a069-6128a750c3cb

These are on park property, and they are active--I don't see why they won't approve one on park park property near tracks that aren't active. I know the Gateway Trail still shows up on quite a few maps as railroad tracks--maybe that, along with the G.T. being administered by the DNR, is why we don't see many caches there (there's only one near Phalen that I know about).
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a situation something like yours with placing a cache closer than the required 150' from a set of tracks. My (OUCHH!!!) cache is closer than that, but in this case there is an actual ditch of water that runs between the cache site and the RR tracks. I had to explain this in the notes when submitting this to get this cache approved.

I have also been to a couple of caches that are in your situation. One comes to mind over near Soiux Falls, SD. In this case the cache is actual under one of supports for the tracks that go over a deep ravine. These tracks are still there but obviously not being used anymore. I can't think of what the cache name is, though.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where is Charlie Pitts?? by Kitch-with help from a CoolerChick (me2)
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=75122a2d-7791-40eb-a069-6128a750c3cb

This is TRUE!

But I let the approver know this ahead of time. I told him that the cache is on the "safe" side of a fence line.

I honestly believe it never was an issue because I told them of the issue upfront and how I felt it shouldn't be an issue.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:vbOINzpN8s8J:www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/buses/UpdatedWeb/topic_3/handout2.html+exempt+rr+crossing&hl=en

An EXEMPT sign means that the crossing has been abandoned or its use discontinued. Follow your local procedures about stopping.

Take a picture of your gpsr at the sign and upload it to your cache page.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://gallery.lazylightning.org/gc-20041211/100_1460

s4xton laying across some inactive tracks on the way "hallie's hideout" in WI. This was my 800th find, wow, amazing.

edit by SB: added comment about picture content

Last edited by Marsha and Silent Bob on Thu May 05, 2005 8:32 am; edited 3 times in total
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:

Hmmm... that photo begs for PhotoChopping!
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:

i always pictured s4xton as being much taller.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold Coast.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
Gold Coast.

Good call.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardware wrote:
i always pictured s4xton as being much taller.

It's just an optical illusion created by the length of the tracks Wink
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havent you seen his cooper, he had to have a hole cut into the top so he fits. Wink
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that's a sunroof. Required, I guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: