MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weekends in Duluth are TOO short ...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Weekends in Duluth are TOO short ... Reply with quote

This is a mix of on-topic and off-topic:

We had a Duluth trip planned for a couple months. The Minnesota Junior Bowlers Tour was at Country Lanes North on Sunday and my oldest son only has a few months' "junior eligibility" left. He was also bowling in Sartell Saturday, but my wife and I wanted to get to Duluth early.

We always have too many plans when we go, so some things change as the trip goes on. I knew about the Thompson Hill Rest Area cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid={4251C085-F4A7-4A7A-AA0D-A1563D3B99B5}

and stopped there first. Don't miss it if you're in the area. There was a new IBcrashen cache posted:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid={7668DE7F-51C7-4B03-937A-AB09FA3165EE}

and I had dreams of FTF. YEAH RIGHT ! It's a borrowed concept, I guess, but a cool idea anyway. Take a look.

Next stop was Duluth Pack:

www.duluthpack.com

. My wife has been buying purses there for years, and I decided it was time for a good pack. I'd been looking at their catalog, and online, but I wanted to "see" them all. There are tons of varieties, but there isn't a "geocaching" pack. It's pretty funny which one I ended up with, but it had all the features I was looking for.

My third and final cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid={9287AC99-6C5F-4AE9-9FCA-E218C60E0758}

tomslusher's wonderful virtual. Be sure to check it out.

We collect "treasures" from the shoreline, and I was able to place a cache in an area that has been greatly improved. Sadly, I did not know I was only a couple miles away from towlebooth's "Troll Bridge" cache.

Kris put together two strong comebacks at the tournament. He bowled a 248 in the 9th and final game of qualifying, to jump into 10th place and advance to match play. After 5 games, with 4 to go, he was cool, but dejected, in 9th place. A "lucky rock" from his mother, a "cherry coke" from his dad, and new determination from him = a third place finish. In all, he collected $375 scholarship for the day.

It was a fun SHORT trip.
Team Hooligan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Right behind you Reply with quote

King, Team Hooligan was right behind you as we were enjoying a day of caching in Duluth as well. It was a great day to be out and always fun to see when other cachers have just been at a cache. Like Grassy Point by Ibcrashen, which was hit five times by the time we got to it around 3:30 in the afternoon.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I was in Duluth for the weekend was 2 years ago with my then fiance and now wife, and I'll second that a weekend in Duluth goes by too fast, especially when it rains during half of it. I'm itching to get up for an extended weekend this summer, though--the caches in the area, including the ones in the state parks that had to be archived, were some of the best I've visited, and I see there are quite a few more quality caches there. Plus, an evening at Fitgers, sampling their fine microbrew and getting a good meal to wash it down with makes the trip worthwhile.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - my whole childhood through high school in the greater Duluth area was too short!!

I will return someday.
trypnotic79
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Duluth area is always great fun. I lived there for three years and didn't take the time to enjoy it as much as I should have. Probably for the better - makes it more special when I go up and visit these days.

I agree with 15T, the Fitgers Brewhouse is a must-see if you enjoy a good micro-brew. They now sell growlers to-go! Don't plan on picking one up on Sunday though.
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: We will return Reply with quote

After growing up in Duluth, our vocation took us away- now that we are retired we are looking at returning home- but- we summer in Ely at our cabin- isn't it crazy to think of spending the winter in Duluth? I don't think anybody moves to Duluth for the winter!!!!! We have a picture taken of us at the Hawk Ridge cache by some other cachers who were also at the cache- with L Sup as a background, we titled it- HOME AT LAST! good feeling.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weekdays are even shorter ...

Today I'm caching on the way up, last stop Thompson Hill, going to Duluth Pack, then caching on the way home. I'm leaving now, can I be home in 11 hours? Hmmm
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang wish I had a day to run up to Duluth... actually I guess I could anytime, but seems to me if I went up there there'd be enough caches I'd want to make a whole weekend trip outta it.
Wayfarin Stranger
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Duluth/Superior/North Shore area has some excellent caches.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

made it !
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I never would have thought to make a day trip to Duluth (city of my birth)......but then a year ago it never occured to me to go caching in the winter, either...I guess it can be done, huh!?!
Happy Thanksgiving!
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: WE WERE THERE TOO.... Reply with quote

JUST DROVE THROUGH ON THE WAY TO ELY- CITY OF OUR YOUTH AND NOW IN RETIREMENT WE ARE LOOKING TO RETURN TO LIVE. BUT ELY IN THE SUMMER AT THE LAKE- AND FALL AND SPRING TOO- WHO MOVES TO DULUTH FOR THE WINTER?
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cache maintenance on two, replaced one, removed three, found seven, placed four, DNF one
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: WOW.... Reply with quote

busy day king- come to Ely next summer and find our caches!
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round trip gasoline cost: $25.00

Early morning Coffee/Roll/Milk: $3.25

Lunch @ Burger King (Hinckley): $5.00

Seeing a dozen vehicles going northbound and thousands going southbound: priceless
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: