MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What gear do you use? GPS own?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SirPoonga
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: What gear do you use? GPS own? Reply with quote

Newbie, just curious as to what gear you bring along while caching.

I probably won't do much until the snow dissapears and I can take my motorcycle out:)
I plan on taking my GPS of course (Garmin GPS III+), small notepad and pencil, hiking/wlking shoes, and map.

I plan on finding some benchmarks first as according to geocaching there is one practically next to me that no one has reported as found.

BTW,if you own a garmin gps and want to make your own cables check out www.pfranc.com. The GPS series is a good series for making your cable/hardware for the GPS. They allows 12v input (most other garmins take 3-5V) so you can hook up directly to car (or in my case motorcycle).
Note they have eTrex/eMap plugs, goto their plugs and it is a small link on the top of the page.
Lady and Laddy bugs
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we cache, we take our gps (of course), spare batteries - especially in the cold, a trinket to trade, printed page of the cache for description and reference to the map. Also in case we put the coordinates in wrong. We used to take a compass with our old gps that didn't have a compass screen on it.

Be aware that just because there is a benchmark on the benchmark page that looks like it is close to you, if the last entry from the Coast Guard, Geodetic surveyors or whom ever is several years old, the benchmark may be very difficult to find. We looked this summer by our cottage for two that were within a mile, one of which I remember seeing as a kid. When we went to where they "were" neither one was still there. The last entry on those two were from the '70s. Confused

What ever you attempt first, have fun. I think the best part of the sport is the hunt itself.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually bring my GPS, trade items, and water, sometimes a pen--I usually leave the printout in the car. As far as benchmark hunting, I've found the description to be better than the coordinates. Also, quite a few are in the Interstate or R.R. right-of-way, and you're not allowed to go there. I did claim two that are plaques in bridge abuttments, though, that I took pictures of as I drove by.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: