MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pioneer Press Dispatch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Pioneer Press Dispatch Reply with quote

Jacob Weyer from the Pioneer Press is interested in writing an article on geocaching for the Pioneer Press and has been in contact with me--he sounds interested in coming to the Breakfast Buddies event on Saturday and then tagging along with anyone who is going out cache hunting afterwards.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh shoot. I just saw this. We went caching after the BB, but didn't realize we had a chance to slant the story (cooperative sport controlled by evil monopolist wearing Bill Gates underwear). Who did he end up tagging along with?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
Oh shoot. I just saw this. We went caching after the BB, but didn't realize we had a chance to slant the story (cooperative sport controlled by evil monopolist wearing Bill Gates underwear). Who did he end up tagging along with?

AFAIK, Good-Boy.
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into KCOGRN at Center of Nature II around 2-ish, and he said he tagged along with the reporter for a couple of caches--good thing the reporter didn't tag along with me--my first cache after breakfast was a skunk, then I hit a few micros near Lyndale, Lake and Hennepin that weren't exactly getting out to neat and unique local parks--don't get me wrong, they were interesting hides--but they weren't what the majority of geocaches are.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah he went along with Good-Boy, brjzn, and myself. We hit a few caches, 2 micros and 2 regular sized ones. After that brjzn invited him over to his house to show how the website end of things works.

All in all I think everybody represented geocaching as true to the form as it is. I'll be interested to see how the article turns out.

Oh and BTW 15Tango, I tried and failed on "Cache on Babbling Creek", managed to soak one of my shoes in the creek after a misstep...
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So no "Hangin' by a thread"?
No "Dog dare ya"?
No "Tougher to Plunder"?
No "Tre-sure 3"?

"I look up to see where I have to walk and there's two..."

-Rick
northtrekker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Pioneer Press! Reply with quote

Any idea when that will be in the Press? Sounds like a fun outing with
the media. I had heard that the Pioneer Press was going to duplicate the
Duluth Trib article - I'm glad they did their own so I have more stuff to read. I just don't want to miss it.. Mr. Green

NTrek, Up North
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Posted on Sun, Nov. 07, 2004

Hide and seek

JAKE WEYER

Pioneer Press

For some people, there is nothing sweeter than finding an ice-cream pail or a pill bottle in the woods.

A rainy, cold morning is called a good day for this kind of activity.

"Actually, this is nice geocaching weather," said Brad Janzen, 55, of Minnetonka after finding a tiny metal container in a signpost near the Minnesota River Valley on a recent gloomy Saturday.

Janzen was thrilled with the find.

"I got out, looked down in the thing and I'd say the mojo was running," Janzen said.

Geocaching is the sport of hiding real or virtual objects, called caches, to find with Global Positioning Systems. Geocachers post the coordinates of caches online at www.geocaching.com.

The name geocaching comes from "geo" for geography and "caching," a term that refers to hiding provisions. A relatively new activity, geocaching has grown in worldwide popularity during the past few years.

Caches usually consist of ammunition cans or plastic containers with small toys or trinkets in them. They also contain logbooks so geocachers can sign their names (or their handles) and write a message about the cache. Virtual caches are coordinates that take geocachers to interesting or scenic places.

Some caches contain "travel bugs," items the owner intends to send out traveling. Geocachers can purchase travel bug dog tags with tracking numbers on them (check out www.geocaching.com) and attach them to an item of their choice. The item is then hidden with instructions where it should "travel."

Geocachers who find travel bugs move them from cache to cache until they reach their destination, tracking the bug's location online along the way.

But the journey doesn't always go as planned. Geocachers Larry and Linda Butcher, of Richfield, dropped a travel bug off in Hawaii last July, expecting it to eventually travel to their home. The bug is now in Japan.

Janzen is a member of the Minnesota Geocaching Association, which has more than 200 members. He said he stumbled across geocaching while searching the Internet, and his family bought him a GPS for Father's Day last year. He's been missing from home ever since.

"I've got an understanding wife," he said.

Janzen said one of the things he likes best about geocaching is it takes him to places he otherwise never would have seen.

"It's the adventure of the find and exploring the unknown," he said.

He said geocaching can come in handy during vacations because it can lead people to places that aren't on tourist brochures. Geocaching can also be a social event, Janzen said.

Bernier said he used to hunt deer, but he's more into hunting caches now. "It's nice and clean, and you don't have to kill anything," he said.

Though most geocachers enjoy the activity because they're interested in technology and love nature, there is concern the increased popularity of the sport will actually cause harm to the wilderness.

Ron Hains, operations manager for Minnesota State Parks, said geocaching is not allowed in state parks because of rules prohibiting people from keeping objects in parks overnight, concerns about increased traffic in sensitive areas and issues of liability if someone were to be hurt while geocaching.

Hains said a committee was formed about a year ago to explore ways to allow the activity in parks, and he said geocaching with some rules will likely be allowed soon.

"I think it's an exciting recreation that gets people in the outdoors," Hains said. "It's all positive stuff, as long as it's done responsibly."

Geocaching is not limited to the woods. Geocachers often hide caches in cities and suburbs. Minneapolis and St. Paul police report the new sport may have upped urban warnings.

Sgt. Larry Rogers, head of the St. Paul Police bomb squad, said there have been a couple of instances during the past 10 years in which suspicious objects were reported, and they turned out to be game pieces for treasure hunters. He said he is not sure if the pieces were caches, but they could have been.

Rogers said caches should be clearly identifiable so they aren't suspicious to non-geocachers who might find them. He said if caches are placed on private property, the owners should be notified; geocachers should avoid placing caches near businesses or potentially controversial sites.

"You wouldn't want to place them on the steps of Planned Parenthood or in front of political offices," he said.

Geocachers say they are careful when hiding their treasures. Geocacher Dave Dunn, 47, of Lakeville, said increased public awareness of the activity will help.

"Someone who doesn't know what we're doing and sees an ammo can in a public place might overreact this day and age," Dunn said.

Dunn began geocaching as a way to get his two boys interested in hiking and the outdoors. "I offered to take them treasure hunting one day," he said.

Dylan Richardson, 11, of Wayzata, geocaches with his dad, Rick, 46. Rick is notorious among in the Minnesota Geocachers Association for being the first to find more caches than anyone else.

"He loves to get the first-to-finds," Dylan said.

Dylan said he has hidden 22 caches in the past couple of years, and he enjoys the challenge of finding caches.

"I like looking for caches that are hard and no one has found yet," he said. "I'm just like my dad."

Two links for this one but they both point to the same article:

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/10111512.htm
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/outdoors/10101993.htm

You will have to register to read the article on their site and because I don't agree with forced registration for the sole purpose of privacy invasion I have copy/pasted the article above.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also in today's Pioneer Press is another article on geocaching in the "Parade" insert. For those of you who didn't run to the store in your jammies this morning to see your name in the paper, you can read the Parade article here:

http://archive.parade.com/2004/1107/1107_hightech_hunt.html
northtrekker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: There is is.. Reply with quote

I wonder if there is a delete key for a post..

Navigational difficulties this morning.

NT

*Sunny day up north, I'd rather be caching! Wink

Last edited by northtrekker on Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
northtrekker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: There is is.. Reply with quote

NTrek wrote:
Sorry for the duplicate link. Rolling Eyes I need to read before
posting!

It's fun to see your names in print & read of your caching
expeditions!

Seems like the gecaching bug is hitting more and more people.
I'm doing some caching inservice today at work to a 100 or so
kids. Integrating the ole social and science curriculums. First
things first we'll start by analyzing the trib articles. It amazes me
how many caches many of you have found & hid.

Thanks for the daily insight!

NT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Media Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: