MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Winter, Geocaching, and Skijoring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TwentySeven
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Winter, Geocaching, and Skijoring Reply with quote

I recently bought a Siberian Husky Puppy. While reading about the breed, I came across a sport called SKIJORING, combining dog sledding and cross-country skiing. If you take geopooch caching with you, why not have HIM take YOU to the cache! That half mile hike would only take a few minutes in and out! In the summer geopooch can pull you on a bike or rollerblades. Google image search on Skijoring

I'm going to a Three Rivers Park Districtís Skijoring Clinic , 9 a.m.-noon Saturday, Nov. 20, at French Regional Park in Plymouth.
Also there is The 2004 Winter Outdoor Adventure Expo November 12th - 14th at Midwest Mountaineering. Look at page 5. Skijor 101 is at 8PM Friday,9AM Saturday, 11AM Sunday. I won't make it because I have to work that weekend.

They say, "If your dog is energetic and 30 pounds or greater, chances are she'll make a great skijor dog."
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, I knew you had alterior motives getting that puppy.
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, I had two miniture Schnauzers that towed me all over the place on my roller blades. Very Happy
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We took it one step further in the Army.
While living in Alaska we would tie a 120' rope to the back of a big Bombadier Snow Sled and then towl 10 fully combat equipped troops behind. On a good day we would do about 150 miles. Believe me at the end of the day your legs felt like rubber. Usually, about half way through the night you would wake up to at least one blood curtaling scream as one of the troops was having sever leg cramps.

But damn is it fun.

By the way if you watched the first Laura Croft movie she did it in the movie behind dogs.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
While living in Alaska we would tie a 120' rope to the back of a big Bombadier Snow Sled and then towl 10 fully combat equipped troops behind. On a good day we would do about 150 miles. Believe me at the end of the day your legs felt like rubber. Usually, about half way through the night you would wake up to at least one blood curtaling scream as one of the troops was having sever leg cramps.

But damn is it fun.

150 miles, Alaska, Army, Blood curdling screams, leg cramps, rubber legs, and snow.

Yeah, that sounds like fun... Sure.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
Believe me at the end of the day your legs felt like rubber.

Hey Arcticabn - you think you had it bad on the back of a sled, think of the guys getting pulled!

Wink
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved being the last guy on the rope. It was like a ride at 6 Flags. If you didn't control the rope just right you would knock all of the other skiers down.

Lot's of fun. Also real fun when you start down hill and the sled rider doesn't speed up. Next thing you know is your ahead of the sled. Then he eventually passes you back and you get a real fun jerk on the rope. Of ocurse some would say that when I was on the rope there was always a jerk on the rope. Wink
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
Of ocurse some would say that when I was on the rope there was always a jerk on the rope. Wink

you just want us to say something ....don't you Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: