MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Geocache mistaken for a bomb...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Another Geocache mistaken for a bomb... Reply with quote

In an article much like this one regarding a towlebooth cache this one doesn't exactly show geocaching in the best light.

My favorite quote is at the bottom:

Quote:
A member of the bomb squad fired a .50-caliber round into the box just to make sure it wouldn't explode. It didn't.

Mahan said later Tuesday that Cook had been released. He did not know if Cook would face charges.

"We're going to interview Cook, tally the costs and then meet with the prosecutor," he said.

"People have to understand that I've been to three FBI and CIA briefings in the last two weeks, getting briefed on terrorists and terrorism," Mahan said.

"They need to find another game.

Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Another Geocache mistaken for a bomb... Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:

Quote:
Mahan said later Tuesday that Cook had been released. He did not know if Cook would face charges.

"We're going to interview Cook, tally the costs and then meet with the prosecutor," he said.

Prosecute him for what!?!?!
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed! Last I checked, geocaching wasn't illegal. What would they charge the guy for? Causing paranoia within the ranks of law enforcement? Still, makes me think twice about placing a cache in a high-profile area, or where a lot of people are likely to see the placement happen...
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Another Geocache mistaken for a bomb... Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
Prosecute him for what!?!?!

Causing fear and unnecessary emotional distress! The government has the market cornered on that so it's illegal for anyone else to do it Wink
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Still, makes me think twice about placing a cache in a high-profile area

Well, an ammo can in that setting isn't exactly subtle. I see it as an argument for creatively camouflaged hides!
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cache page is here: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gcjzd7

GC Forums link is here: http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=82906
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

u beat me to the posting here......
http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/log/008689cc-1df7-4fc2-b4a9-43b3c0d1ae24.jpg a photo of it.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ay-yi-yi. An ammo can would not have been my choice for this hide. This setting calls for a well-placed magnetic micro!!
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cache owner claims he had restaurant owners permission to place the cache.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzygirl wrote:
Ay-yi-yi. An ammo can would not have been my choice for this hide. This setting calls for a well-placed magnetic micro!!

It calls for whatever works in the situation. Just because Minneapolis is micro happy doesn't mean that an ammo can would not have worked. This was a simple case of overreaction.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like that one shoulda been a micro, maybe the whole deal wouldn'tve happened then.

Of course wasn't it micros on the bridge in Duluth? Perhaps some good ol common sense of placement would keep stuff like that from happening. I know I've had a few finds where not only did I feel totally exposed, but also thought from a muggles point of view that my activity would look very suspicious.

Normally I can't blame them for calling some things in, in fact sometimes I feel a bit better that people are actually aware of their surroundings. Prosecuting someone for finding a cache is a bit extreme, unless the reason they'd do it is to make an example, which stinks but perhaps it'll reinforce common sense in geocachers.

Certainly makes me think twice about finding a cache in an area I feel someone would call the cops on me, afterall, it's a game, and I'd rather not get in legal troubles over it.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photo looks like a micro to me....
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
Sounds like that one shoulda been a micro, maybe the whole deal wouldn'tve happened then.

Umm, they saw a person hiding something under the caboose. It wouldn't have made any difference what size the box was.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
Certainly makes me think twice about finding a cache in an area I feel someone would call the cops on me, afterall, it's a game, and I'd rather not get in legal troubles over it.

Certainly makes me want OTHER people to think before they place a cache.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Buzzygirl wrote:

It calls for whatever works in the situation. Just because Minneapolis is micro happy doesn't mean that an ammo can would not have worked. This was a simple case of overreaction.

Perhaps it isn't so much the size of the cache as much as the placement. I'm a bit leery of placing caches where someone might see me, no matter how large or small they are. I'm also leery of going on private property to find a cache, even if someone's given their permission to do so. A suspicious neighbor might not be in on the game. I'm pretty cautious of being seen by non-cachers when I'm out on the hunt.

My own personal "no-no" sites for cache placement are bridges and vehicles of any size or shape, whether static or not... people are more likely to be suspicious of someone who looks like they are planting something on them. But that is just me...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Media Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: