MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rescuing archived caches

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Rescuing archived caches Reply with quote

This came across my email the other day from the Oklahoma geocachers (it's actually from Michigan although the OK group was looking at it some):

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/modules.php?name=Rescue_Mission
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.

Would there be any interest in implementing this in Minnesota? Is this something that we can "borrow" from the Michigan people?

It seems like a good idea as it helps to remove containers that otherwise would sit and eventually create a bad name for the sport...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this on my own, and it was a blast. I think it's documented here somewhere, but I listed it on the monthly CITO cache page too. I think I had a 30-40 % success rate.

There's another area where I have a planned mission, and discussion at an event with a very active 'cacher helped confirm some of my suspicions. It's hard to explain looking for caches that aren't supposed to be there, but the rush from finding one, or the remains of one, was incredible.

Yeah, I know: Rolling Eyes
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
I did this on my own, and it was a blast. I think it's documented here somewhere, but I listed it on the monthly CITO cache page too. I think I had a 30-40 % success rate.

http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9468#9468
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when you posted that... The idea is the same - what I'm proposing/asking is putting some sort of a system in place to check ALL caches that are archived where we aren't sure if the container/contents were removed or not.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY first thought is that it would be a nightmare to try to monitor.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it probably would be a pain in the rear but it's probably worth it. There are probably plenty of cache containers out there still. Too many people that just don't care when they archive a cache (or are inactive when it is done).

We would likely have to start from current time and go from there. It might be too overwhelming to start back from moment one and check them all.

edit: slipped up on a word there, sorry.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We would likely have to start from current time

I still plan on a day for the ones I "know" about. If anyone wants to search for "old" ones, I'll tell my "secrets"

HEH
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are probably plenty of cache containers out there still.

This is a great way to get a container full of goodies to make into a new cache.

I recently went and picked up an cache container that was archived for longer then 6 months and gave it to KB for him to hide.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
We would likely have to start from current time and go from there. It might be too overwhelming to start back from moment one and check them all.

True, although a fair number of them we probably know that the container isn't there any more. Could be where the cacher is still active and can say that it was removed or checked and found to be stolen, or where the archival note says so. We can also try simply emailing the owners to see if they know what the last status of the container was - did they remove it or is it possible that it's still there?

I think the MI group is only listing caches that they aren't sure if the container is there or not. They aren't checking EVERY archived cache...

I think, if we did this, we should start from a certain point in time, and then over time start adding in the older ones until we've got them all.

It would be nice if we had an interface similar to the MI one. Then it would be a lot easier to track I would think...
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eighteen months later, I removed the remains of an archived cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c82b6843-4d66-400e-ae9f-f23b3307ad26&log=y&decrypt=
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went through my caches and 4 of the 5 caches of mine that have been archived were removed by the DNR of Kandiyohi county. The other one was just in a bad location for a cache in the winter time, thus I decided nto to replace that one.

I have a couple of caches that I have temporarily archived till I get a chance to go and check on them. Other than that, my caches should all be fine.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't expect it to be down by the river:

Quote:
Hi. I found one your caches today near Riverfront Park. The problem is that I am not sure
which one it is, so I don't know where to log it. I have a picture of it, but I didn't
want to send it without asking you first. I will describe it instead, if you still want
the picture I can send it to you. It was a small green plastic canister with a black lid.
The contents were dry, but look like they had been damp at one time. There was an entry in
the log book in the canister from someone who probably had no idea what geocaching is,
there were some crude comments included in the entry. I scribbled out the crude comments
and signed the book. There were other entries (I wish I had copied them down or taken a
picture of the entries because then I probably could ascertain which cache it is.) The
container had the log book, a pencil, a piece of gum in it's wrapper (which I removed and
disposed of) and some medals in it. I believe one of the medals was copper and said
"Hastings" on it. That's all I remember, and the picture doesn't show the medals too well.
The picture I took has my GPS in it and the coordinates show N 45 03.102 x W 093 16.768,
which is .2 miles from your closest cache (according to geocaching.com anyhow, and I don't
think it is that one, because that one is supposed to be on the west side of the river.)
The closest cache is Billboard 1966: Mellow Yello placed by Donovan (GCKJ86), which is
within 84 feet of the reading on my GPS (I actually was looking for the cache placed by
Donovan when I found this.) The container was laying in plain sight on the shore. I moved
it about 4 feet directly east (away from the river) so that it isn't in plain sight and
won't get washed away. So, any other questions? Can you tell me which cache I found so I
can log it? If this cache belongs somewhere else I am sure I could find it again if you
would like to return it to it's original location. Thanks much!

Fullauto Glock

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=de6ed180-c8f8-4bdb-95d8-af396e08cd9d

... two years later ...
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamoCacher wrote:
KEWL Idea. I like it. I'm sure MI might be kind enough to share how they built theres and we could run from there. I'd be willing to volunteer to help in anyway I could to get this project up and running.

MI is willing to do it, but it's not a simple process for MnGCA to run what MI has. That's where it died last time. We just don't have the resources to run it right now - we're barely keeping our head above the water as it is. Smile

Quote:
It'd take some time but we could include all the old caches that we aren't sure of being removed. I'd be willing to just starting going through and looking and making a list, contacting owners, etc to build the database up. Great way to clean up the area from old containers, get soem CITO, and "finds".

The administration of the database is a very large undertaking. One of the real problems is keeping it up to date. I have never discussed how exactly the MI folks keep theirs up to date.

Quote:
My questions is when MI says, "An admin will verify your find and grant you credit for your find." what do they mean. Ie is it making sure no one else has claimed a find on the same cache, verifying that you are in the right area, etc. If the first offer to help by looking up caches isn't needed I'd be willing to work this side of things once we know all the details or do both.

I'm not sure how they handle the points over there. To me it's not about the points so much as it's about cleaning up the containers.

This is a project that is a long ways off yet I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: